G

Hi. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

I'm building a new system and need to decide on an appropriate sound card. I'll be watching DVDs and listening to music full blast through separate Sony dolby 5.1 speaker system (with it's own amp). I'm need to know how far i should go on the sound card....when the speakers have their own amp, how bigger part does the sound card play?
Can someone please recommend an appropriate card?

FatBurger

Illustrious
All you're doing is listening to music and playing DVDs?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

And playing games and junk too I guess, but the point is:
I want good music quality and Dolby 5.1 to go into a seperate Sony 5.1 amp and speaker system.... Will there be a great difference between a Live 5.1 platinum or a basic Audigy, which are around the same sort of price over here.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Audigy is much better than the Live, but I don't like Creative Labs' products anymore.

You might want to look at the Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo II. It's $40 at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">Newegg</A>.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Thanks. Dare I ask what your *beef* (sorry) with Creative cards is?

I was made as a human being, not a human doing.

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
If good sound quality is your thing, you might want to check out the sound card featured on this home page. It got a good review...

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Creative Labs products have buggy drivers and my experience with the SoundBlaster Live was aweful!! It kept popping and cracking!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Because of the bad pun, I won't. But AMD_Man helped, and Crashman should be along soon to start a nice big rant.

G

I think I've begun to understand about Creative...reading up on the Aureal debacle...not a nice way to do business.

Hmmmm, this Hercules Game Theatre XP 6.1 looks sweeeeeet....now if I can just find one in Australia...

G

Hmmm, has anyone had any experience with the "Philips Acoustic Edge Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Card"

It sounds like it might have the goods....and is $AUS200-260

If you've had anything to do with one of these cards (or another Philips card, I'd love to hear from you!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I had a Philips Seismic Edge. The drivers were poor and sound quality was terrible. It has a different chip than the Acoustic Edge though, so they can't be compared too closely. Lots of people have had good success with the AE.

G

Yeah, I've heard that the Philips drivers can be pretty shiat.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might want to consider the Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 SuperQuad from <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com" target="_new">http://www.compgeeks.com</A> for only $14. This was originally a $150 card, but since the company went out of business prices have fallen substantially.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They had to kill the technology, it threatened their core business. Aureal was small enough to kill, they had to do it before they grew. In the business world this is called cutthrote but is considered acceptable. In the courts such lawsuits are considered frivouluous and often result in punitive damages against the original filer. The DOJ considers such practices to be anti-competitive. But Aureal never made it far enough to file a counter suit, they were drained before the original suit was over.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?