Good for Nikon!

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 23, 2005 8:32:53 AM

"Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
here!

From dpreview.com;

Nikon D70 Firmware Update to bring the D70 more in-line with the
capabilities of the new D70s.

New firmware update further enhances the functionality of 2004's
Digital SLR Camera of the Year

TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce a firmware update
that brings refined performance enhancements to the Nikon D70.

The rapid pace at which development of digital technologies is
proceeding inevitably leads to a continual release of new products. In
the face of this dynamic, Nikon is determined to demonstrate our
respect for the many customers who purchased a D70 digital SLR camera
by delivering, where possible, the latest technology that the digital
world has to offer through firmware updates. The D70 firmware update
to be released shortly aims to share enhancements developed for the
new D70s, and thereby to strengthen the performance of the D70.

The firmware update includes the following additions and refinements:

* Improved performance for the 5-area autofocus system's Dynamic
Area AF and Closest Subject Priority Dynamic Area AF modes.

* Updated menus with a new design similar to that of the D70s,
making them easier to view and quicker to recognize.

* Added in-camera page setup support for PictBridge compatible
printers.

Release schedule: Nikon Corporation will release the D70 firmware
updater worldwide in mid-May 2005.

More about : good nikon

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 8:32:54 AM

RichA wrote:
> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
> here!

Ever heard of the thing called being-satisfied-with-your-gear? ;)

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:22:50 AM

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> Ever heard of the thing called being-satisfied-with-your-gear? ;)

Well said! Unfortunately that would eliminate 90% of the posts in the
group. It's fun reading, though. I have both Nikon and Canon equipment
from the 35mm days and I enjoy both equally well and never really thought
about which one was better than the other. I now enjoy a D70 with a nice
collection of glass for it. I'm too busy having fun learning the camera
taking a few great shots and getting an amply supply of mediocre shots. I'm
sure I'd get the same results with a Canon. Bottom line, it's all fun and I
see no point in getting into the Canon vs Nikon debate.

Rita
April 23, 2005 1:19:45 PM

> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
> here!
>
> From dpreview.com;
>
> Nikon D70 Firmware Update to bring the D70 more in-line with the
> capabilities of the new D70s.

Do you really think you're the first to post this in r.p.d.s-s?

Greg
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 6:42:53 PM

RichA wrote:

> Release schedule: Nikon Corporation will release the D70 firmware
> updater worldwide in mid-May 2005.

....good I suppose, but none of those items are all that hot in terms of
benefit.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 8:26:33 PM

> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
> here!
>
> From dpreview.com;
>
> Nikon D70 Firmware Update to bring the D70 more in-line with the
> capabilities of the new D70s.

Does it add mirror lock-up, like the firmware update for the Digital Rebel
does?
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 8:26:34 PM

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message

> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
> > here!
> >
> > From dpreview.com;
> >
> > Nikon D70 Firmware Update to bring the D70 more in-line with the
> > capabilities of the new D70s.
>
> Does it add mirror lock-up, like the firmware update for the Digital Rebel
> does?

Is there a Canon firmware update that adds mirror lock-up? If not, many
people don't feel comfortable applying hacked firmware to their camera. I'm
not one of them as I used Wasia's on my DR but you're comparing apples to
oranges if Canon hasn't yet provided updated firmware to the DR.

Greg
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:07:18 PM

On 23 Apr 2005 02:08:59 -0700, "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
>> here!
>
>Ever heard of the thing called being-satisfied-with-your-gear? ;)
>
>- Siddhartha

Oh yeah. I had my last digital for four+ years.
Whenever a company decides to support last-generation models of
anything, I support them. Comes from years of dropping lots of $'s
on audio equipment.
-Rich
April 23, 2005 10:30:46 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:19:45 -0700, "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
>> here!
>>
>> From dpreview.com;
>>
>> Nikon D70 Firmware Update to bring the D70 more in-line with the
>> capabilities of the new D70s.
>>

>Do you really think you're the first to post this in r.p.d.s-s?
>
>Greg

Your point being?
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:30:47 PM

"Steve" <whiteroseofyorkshireNOSPAM@postmaster.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:19:45 -0700, "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> >> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
> >> here!
> >>
> >> From dpreview.com;
> >>
> >> Nikon D70 Firmware Update to bring the D70 more in-line with the
> >> capabilities of the new D70s.
> >>

> >Do you really think you're the first to post this in r.p.d.s-s?
> >
> >Greg
> >
> Your point being?

My point being that combined with the weak subject line and the old content
I wasted my time reading yet another of RichA's obnoxious posts.

Greg
April 23, 2005 10:30:48 PM

Your reply is fairly obnoxious itself.

"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

> "Steve" <whiteroseofyorkshireNOSPAM@postmaster.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:19:45 -0700, "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message

>> >Do you really think you're the first to post this in r.p.d.s-s?
>> >
>> >Greg
>> >
>> Your point being?
>
> My point being that combined with the weak subject line and the old
> content
> I wasted my time reading yet another of RichA's obnoxious posts.
>
> Greg

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:49:32 PM

>> Release schedule: Nikon Corporation will release the D70 firmware
>> updater worldwide in mid-May 2005.
>
> ...good I suppose, but none of those items are all that hot in terms of
> benefit.

The D70s is a minor update to an already-great camera. There's not a whole
lot you can really do to improve the D70 in firmware. I never updated the
firmware in mine at all; it was never necessary.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
April 24, 2005 12:10:45 AM

wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
>> here!
>
>Ever heard of the thing called being-satisfied-with-your-gear? ;)
>
>- Siddhartha

Tee hee - it's nice to see how the announcement of the Nikon D70
firmware upgrade appears to be really getting up the noses of the
Canon crew!
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:28:43 AM

> Is there a Canon firmware update that adds mirror lock-up? If not, many
> people don't feel comfortable applying hacked firmware to their camera.

Well, that's not a problem with the D70!

> not one of them as I used Wasia's on my DR but you're comparing apples to
> oranges if Canon hasn't yet provided updated firmware to the DR.

Maybe closer to comparing apples to pears. The point is that the firmware
change to the Digital Rebel adds a very important capability to the camera.
At least Canon added that capability to the Rebel XT, but Nikon left it off
of the D70s. Still no vertical grip for the D70s either, and I don't think
that the after-market vertical grip will work on the D70s because of the
incompatible wired remote jack, though I'm sure that this will be remedied.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:45:41 AM

"MrB" <brooksro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Your reply is fairly obnoxious itself.

Nowhere near as obnoxious as a top-poster, no matter what the content.

Greg
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:52:22 AM

> "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>
> > Is there a Canon firmware update that adds mirror lock-up? If not, many
> > people don't feel comfortable applying hacked firmware to their camera.
>
> Well, that's not a problem with the D70!
>
> > not one of them as I used Wasia's on my DR but you're comparing apples
> > oranges if Canon hasn't yet provided updated firmware to the DR.
>
> Maybe closer to comparing apples to pears. The point is that the firmware
> change to the Digital Rebel adds a very important capability to the
camera.
> At least Canon added that capability to the Rebel XT, but Nikon left it
off
> of the D70s. Still no vertical grip for the D70s either, and I don't think
> that the after-market vertical grip will work on the D70s because of the
> incompatible wired remote jack, though I'm sure that this will be
remedied.

I totally agree with your sentiment about the D70 and D70s. But Rebel
owners are very lucky to have the 3rd party firmware. I doubt I would have
bought the Rebel unless the Wasia firmware was available. Flashing the
firmware was the first thing I did out of the box. There's a couple of
firmware things I don't like about the XT so I'd love for a little hack
regarding the WB and ISO buttons on the XT along with an easier way to set
FEC, having the FEC set by the Jump button with the Wasia firmware was very
nice.

Greg
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:04:18 AM

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message

> "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>
>> Is there a Canon firmware update that adds mirror lock-up? If not, many
>> people don't feel comfortable applying hacked firmware to their camera.
>
> Well, that's not a problem with the D70!
>
>> not one of them as I used Wasia's on my DR but you're comparing apples to
>> oranges if Canon hasn't yet provided updated firmware to the DR.
>
> Maybe closer to comparing apples to pears. The point is that the firmware
> change to the Digital Rebel adds a very important capability to the
> camera.
> At least Canon added that capability to the Rebel XT, but Nikon left it
> off
> of the D70s. Still no vertical grip for the D70s either, and I don't think
> that the after-market vertical grip will work on the D70s because of the
> incompatible wired remote jack, though I'm sure that this will be
> remedied.

Maybe by a vertical grip for the D70s. I'm sure the company that makes the
vertical grip for the 70 will make one for the 70s. Personally, I don't
really care, but that's me. Each of us wants something different for their
individual needs. I will admit that a mirror lockup would be nice for the
D70. Still, I would rarely use it.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:19:03 AM

"Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>> Release schedule: Nikon Corporation will release the D70 firmware
>>> updater worldwide in mid-May 2005.
>>
>> ...good I suppose, but none of those items are all that hot in terms of
>> benefit.
>
> The D70s is a minor update to an already-great camera. There's not a
> whole
> lot you can really do to improve the D70 in firmware. I never updated the
> firmware in mine at all; it was never necessary.

I don't think that's really the point. The point is that Nikon is being
responsive to it's current customers, and that's what keeps customers. If I
knew that a manufacturer was going to try to keep my equipment up to date, I
wouldn't think twice about buying a camera from them without worrying about
the next model and when it was coming out. As you said: It's hard to
improve on an already great camera, and the D70 in its original form is more
camera than most people need.

While some complain, Nikon was very smart in keeping the original mount on
all their digital cameras. You just keep moving your lenses along with any
new camera you get. Maybe you lose some functionality, but a great lens is
still great even if you have to use it manually. I love my old lenses, and
was thrilled they work on my D70. I use the kit lens a lot, but it's nice
to know I have all those other lenses in my bag of tricks.

April 24, 2005 5:07:23 AM

Steve wrote:

> Tee hee - it's nice to see how the announcement of the Nikon D70
> firmware upgrade appears to be really getting up the noses of the
> Canon crew!

Exactly..

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Steve wrote:
> Tee hee - it's nice to see how the announcement of the Nikon D70
> firmware upgrade appears to be really getting up the noses of the
> Canon crew!

Did you notice what was I commenting on? This -
> >> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
> >> here!

Its about the 300D vs the 350D. Not about Nikon.

Thanks to rpd, I don't get kicked up about my gear vs yours anymore ;)

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:06:26 PM

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
> Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>
> > Ever heard of the thing called being-satisfied-with-your-gear? ;)
>
> Well said! Unfortunately that would eliminate 90% of the posts in
the
> group. It's fun reading, though. I have both Nikon and Canon
equipment
> from the 35mm days and I enjoy both equally well and never really
thought
> about which one was better than the other. I now enjoy a D70 with a
nice
> collection of glass for it. I'm too busy having fun learning the
camera
> taking a few great shots and getting an amply supply of mediocre
shots. I'm
> sure I'd get the same results with a Canon. Bottom line, it's all
fun and I
> see no point in getting into the Canon vs Nikon debate.

I have two cameras too. A Canon 300D and a Minolta Maxxum 5. Everytime
I go out shooting, the photographer in me apologises to the gear for my
own inadequacy of skills in getting the most of them so I can't crib
about my gear yet. The gadget freak in me wants a Canon 1Ds Mk-II in
the size of a Rebel XT ;)

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:41:48 AM

> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
> here!
>
> From dpreview.com;
>
> Nikon D70 Firmware Update to bring the D70 more in-line with the
> capabilities of the new D70s.
>

> New firmware update further enhances the functionality of 2004's
> Digital SLR Camera of the Year
>
> TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce a firmware update
> that brings refined performance enhancements to the Nikon D70.
>
> The rapid pace at which development of digital technologies is
> proceeding inevitably leads to a continual release of new products. In
> the face of this dynamic, Nikon is determined to demonstrate our
> respect for the many customers who purchased a D70 digital SLR camera
> by delivering, where possible, the latest technology that the digital
> world has to offer through firmware updates. The D70 firmware update
> to be released shortly aims to share enhancements developed for the
> new D70s, and thereby to strengthen the performance of the D70.
>
> The firmware update includes the following additions and refinements:
>
> * Improved performance for the 5-area autofocus system's Dynamic
> Area AF and Closest Subject Priority Dynamic Area AF modes.
>
> * Updated menus with a new design similar to that of the D70s,
> making them easier to view and quicker to recognize.
>
> * Added in-camera page setup support for PictBridge compatible
> printers.
>
> Release schedule: Nikon Corporation will release the D70 firmware
> updater worldwide in mid-May 2005.

Does the new firmware give you iso 100 or a spot for a remote shutter cable?
April 25, 2005 1:17:30 AM

On 24 Apr 2005 11:56:39 -0700, "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>> Tee hee - it's nice to see how the announcement of the Nikon D70
>> firmware upgrade appears to be really getting up the noses of the
>> Canon crew!
>
>Did you notice what was I commenting on? This -
>
>Its about the 300D vs the 350D. Not about Nikon.
>
>Thanks to rpd, I don't get kicked up about my gear vs yours anymore ;)
>
>- Siddhartha

Oh.... thought the original post was offering some kind of
tongue-in-cheek consolation for Rebel users, whom to date aren't being
shown the same level of customer care by Canon as those D70 folk?

Isn't that why the D70 firmware announcement followed? Maybe i've
missed the plot. Sorry.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:13:28 AM

Dirty Harry <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:

> Does the new firmware give you iso 100 or a spot for a remote shutter cable?

New firmware can't give you ISO 100, at least not in any way that would be
of benefit. And what do you need a remote shutter cable for, when you can
use a wireless remote?

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

> Dirty Harry <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:
>
> > Does the new firmware give you iso 100 or a spot for a remote shutter
cable?

> New firmware can't give you ISO 100, at least not in any way that would be
> of benefit. And what do you need a remote shutter cable for, when you can
> use a wireless remote?
>
> --
> Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com

Maybe because its better to stand behind the tripod when you are doing
portraits and to use bulb mode for long night exposures...among many other
reasons...(the canons can use either btw.)

--
www.harryphotos.com
Anonymous

OMG, this is right and a non snipper. Get a life mate.

> Nowhere near as obnoxious as a top-poster, no matter what the content.
>
> Greg

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:37:24 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:49:32 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
wrote:

>Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>> Release schedule: Nikon Corporation will release the D70 firmware
>>> updater worldwide in mid-May 2005.
>>
>> ...good I suppose, but none of those items are all that hot in terms of
>> benefit.
>
>The D70s is a minor update to an already-great camera. There's not a whole
>lot you can really do to improve the D70 in firmware. I never updated the
>firmware in mine at all; it was never necessary.

There's loads of stuff they could do:

Remove the flash sync limit of 1/500 and let it go right up to 1/8000
(currently, this can be achieved with a piece of electrical tape).

Add ISO 100, 3200 and 6400, that we can use if we wish.

Make the histogram review separate the R,G & B channels.

Allow the maximum review zoom to be 100% instead of 65%

Add mirror lock up (there may be physical reasons why they can't), or
even slow-mode (mirror flips up, waits for shaking to stop, then
shutter opens).

Add a 'compress' feature that removes only the jpegs from the card
that you get if you are shooting RAW+B.

....and so on...

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

> Nikon D70 Firmware Update to bring the D70 more in-line with the
> capabilities of the new D70s.

Hopefully this will set a precedent.

--
Mark Lauter

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
April 25, 2005 11:31:39 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:52:08 GMT, "Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:

>"Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
>> Dirty Harry <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:
>>
>> > Does the new firmware give you iso 100 or a spot for a remote shutter
>cable?
>>
>> New firmware can't give you ISO 100, at least not in any way that would be
>> of benefit. And what do you need a remote shutter cable for, when you can
>> use a wireless remote?
>>
>> --
>> Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
>
>Maybe because its better to stand behind the tripod when you are doing
>portraits and to use bulb mode for long night exposures...among many other
>reasons...(the canons can use either btw.)

Seems like the Canons can do it all. Pity Canon can't release a
'build quality' firmware upgrade then the Nikon crew would really be
stuffed eh?

I love it here.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:12:30 AM

In article <vvop61diuj1pn7sta8b0l99j8q0nlul1gf@4ax.com>,
Owamanga <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:49:32 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
>wrote:

>>> ...good I suppose, but none of those items are all that hot in terms of
>>> benefit.
>>
>>The D70s is a minor update to an already-great camera. There's not a whole
>>lot you can really do to improve the D70 in firmware. I never updated the
>>firmware in mine at all; it was never necessary.
>
>There's loads of stuff they could do:
>
>Remove the flash sync limit of 1/500 and let it go right up to 1/8000
>(currently, this can be achieved with a piece of electrical tape).

How? And why would you need to?

>Add ISO 100, 3200 and 6400, that we can use if we wish.

The higher ones are probably possible (if the firmware has
enough control of the gain of the amps before the A-D converters. I'm
not sure that the 100 is possible with that particular sensor. I
suspect that it is likely to result in a lot of blown highlights, as the
CCD cells fill to saturation.

>Make the histogram review separate the R,G & B channels.

That would be nice. Perhaps selected by vertical button presses
while in histogram mode. (Currently, it switches to the previous/next
photos in the queue, and I think that could be sacrificed in histogram
mode.)

>Allow the maximum review zoom to be 100% instead of 65%

That would also be nice. I'm not sure whether there is any
reason for not doing that. And perhaps make the motion when in zoom
review mode scaled to the amount of zoom.

Except -- isn't 100% zoom equal to *no* zoom? I agree with
wanting more zoom when checking out an image before going on to another
subject.

>Add mirror lock up (there may be physical reasons why they can't), or
>even slow-mode (mirror flips up, waits for shaking to stop, then
>shutter opens).

The latter may be practical. I'm not sure whether there is any
*mechanical* way to lock it up, and if not, that keeps drawing power
from the battery into the mirror solenoid.

>Add a 'compress' feature that removes only the jpegs from the card
>that you get if you are shooting RAW+B.

Why? Why not simply select just RAW if that is all that you
want. If you want *some* of the Basic images, you would need to go
through and selective delete them. (Hmm ... I haven't run in that mode
much -- *can* you delete them separately?)

Enjoy,
DoN.

April 26, 2005 4:06:40 AM

In article <1114247339.697029.300810@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
Siddhartha Jain <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
>> here!
>
>Ever heard of the thing called being-satisfied-with-your-gear? ;)

In the 1980's and 1990's I had a Nikon FE. I loved it. I had some
hand-me-down Nikkor lenses, a b&w darkroom, and life was good.

In a house fire, where I lost practically everything I ever owned, the
camera was in a drawer in a closet, and basically baked at 475 degrees
for an hour or so. I was totally satisfied with that camera, and I'd be
happy with it today. It looks almost like it could work, but alas, it
is ruined.

I'm working auctions for FE bodies though. Don't know if I'll ever use
film again, now that I have a really good DSLR, but I want the option.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:06:41 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:06:40 GMT, fishbowl@conservatory.com (james)
wrote:

>In article <1114247339.697029.300810@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>Siddhartha Jain <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>RichA wrote:
>>> "Oh Canon.....!" Think of the poor Rebel users now the XT is
>>> here!
>>
>>Ever heard of the thing called being-satisfied-with-your-gear? ;)
>
>In the 1980's and 1990's I had a Nikon FE. I loved it. I had some
>hand-me-down Nikkor lenses, a b&w darkroom, and life was good.
>
>In a house fire, where I lost practically everything I ever owned, the
>camera was in a drawer in a closet, and basically baked at 475 degrees
>for an hour or so. I was totally satisfied with that camera, and I'd be
>happy with it today. It looks almost like it could work, but alas, it
>is ruined.
>
>I'm working auctions for FE bodies though. Don't know if I'll ever use
>film again, now that I have a really good DSLR, but I want the option.

I'd get an FM. At least that way you could justify it by saying
I know have a camera that doesn't need any power to run.
-Rich
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:28:01 AM

Owamanga (not-this-bit) wrote:
> Remove the flash sync limit of 1/500 and let it go right up to 1/8000
> (currently, this can be achieved with a piece of electrical tape).

Can it be done on other dSLRs as well? If yes, how?

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:34:00 AM

On 25 Apr 2005 22:12:30 -0400, DoN. Nichols <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> Except -- isn't 100% zoom equal to *no* zoom?

It's when 1 pixel in the recorded image takes up 1 pixel on the
screen. A 6 megapixel image is zoomed in pretty far when displayed
pixel-for-pixel on a 1.3 megapixel monitor, let alone a 0.2 megapixel
LCD. :-)

> Why? Why not simply select just RAW if that is all that you
> want. If you want *some* of the Basic images, you would need to go
> through and selective delete them. (Hmm ... I haven't run in that mode
> much -- *can* you delete them separately?)

I don't believe so. Not on the 20D, for sure.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote in message news:<sqVae.1129619$6l.255365@pd7tw2no>...
> "Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
> > Dirty Harry <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Does the new firmware give you iso 100 or a spot for a remote shutter
> cable?
> >
> > New firmware can't give you ISO 100, at least not in any way that would be
> > of benefit. And what do you need a remote shutter cable for, when you can
> > use a wireless remote?
> >
> > --
> > Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
>
> Maybe because its better to stand behind the tripod when you are doing
> portraits

You can even with the wirless one. I've had my D70 on a tripod and
used the wireless remote from behind the camera with no problems.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:58:30 PM

On 25 Apr 2005 22:12:30 -0400, dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

>In article <vvop61diuj1pn7sta8b0l99j8q0nlul1gf@4ax.com>,
>Owamanga <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:49:32 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
>>wrote:

>>>The D70s is a minor update to an already-great camera. There's not a whole
>>>lot you can really do to improve the D70 in firmware. I never updated the
>>>firmware in mine at all; it was never necessary.
>>
>>There's loads of stuff they could do:
>>
>>Remove the flash sync limit of 1/500 and let it go right up to 1/8000
>>(currently, this can be achieved with a piece of electrical tape).
>
> How? And why would you need to?

How? it is currently an firmware restriction that has no basis in
electrical or physical restrictive capabilities of the camera.
Solution: Remove the limit.

Why? Because I'd still like to use fill flash in full sunshine when my
shutter speeds may be higher than 1/500th, that's why.

>>Add ISO 100, 3200 and 6400, that we can use if we wish.
>
> The higher ones are probably possible (if the firmware has
>enough control of the gain of the amps before the A-D converters. I'm
>not sure that the 100 is possible with that particular sensor. I
>suspect that it is likely to result in a lot of blown highlights, as the
>CCD cells fill to saturation.

Agreed.

>>Make the histogram review separate the R,G & B channels.
>
> That would be nice. Perhaps selected by vertical button presses
>while in histogram mode. (Currently, it switches to the previous/next
>photos in the queue, and I think that could be sacrificed in histogram
>mode.)

I was thinking of all three at the same time, 3 color coded graphs R,G
& B that overlay each other (and go white where there is a presence of
all 3 for example) - similar to how the adobe RAW importer shows it.

>>Allow the maximum review zoom to be 100% instead of 65%
>
> That would also be nice. I'm not sure whether there is any
>reason for not doing that. And perhaps make the motion when in zoom
>review mode scaled to the amount of zoom.

Yep.

> Except -- isn't 100% zoom equal to *no* zoom? I agree with
>wanting more zoom when checking out an image before going on to another
>subject.

Yes, terminology really, 100% zoom would be one pixel in the image to
one pixel on the LCD. I suspect the reason they don't do this is
because what you are seeing (in the case of a RAW or RAW+B) is the
jpeg thumbnail stored in the raw file, not the raw data itself.
Therefore it makes sense there is an upper limit as you get towards
1:1 where you'll start to see jpeg artifacts.

>>Add mirror lock up (there may be physical reasons why they can't), or
>>even slow-mode (mirror flips up, waits for shaking to stop, then
>>shutter opens).
>
> The latter may be practical. I'm not sure whether there is any
>*mechanical* way to lock it up, and if not, that keeps drawing power
>from the battery into the mirror solenoid.

Yes, the solenoid would need to remain energized. I'd happily expense
that more power in return for zero camera shake.

>>Add a 'compress' feature that removes only the jpegs from the card
>>that you get if you are shooting RAW+B.
>
> Why?

Habit, and this may be peculiar to me. But I like RAW+B because it
fits my workflow better, the jpegs are used to rough review files to
decide which RAWs will be worked on in Photoshop. I carry now 3x1Gb
cards and a 1x500Mb card, plus a 40Gb hard-disk card reader thing, so
usually don't run out of space and can have the luxury of shooting +B

However, occasionally I'm in an environment where I've separated
myself from the camera bag and hard-disk card reader and am running
out of space on the cards (last time I was in a mangrove swamp with
just one remaining card that was getting full (not a good idea). At
that time, I'd like to be able to tell the camera to dump the jpegs &
reclaim the space because I need it. Instead I have to stop what I'm
doing, and start editing (deleting) the pictures in the field to make
more room. The +B jpegs take about 12-15% of a card - enough for
another 20 or so RAWs on a 1Gb card.

>Why not simply select just RAW if that is all that you
>want. If you want *some* of the Basic images, you would need to go
>through and selective delete them. (Hmm ... I haven't run in that mode
>much -- *can* you delete them separately?)

Nope you can't (in camera anyway). Also, this would be as
time-consuming as having to review/delete when in the field. I just
want to tell the camera "damn, I'm running out of space, give me space
for another 20 shots, I'll rebuild the preview JPEGs later on my PC if
I need them".

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

On 26 Apr 2005 00:28:01 -0700, "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Owamanga (not-this-bit) wrote:
>> Remove the flash sync limit of 1/500 and let it go right up to 1/8000
>> (currently, this can be achieved with a piece of electrical tape).
>>

>Can it be done on other dSLRs as well? If yes, how?

Not as far as I know. Other brand's (such as Canon) have different
solutions to this - a weird FP mode they call 'HSS' which has issues -
namely most of the light from the flash is lost because it hits
shutter curtains instead of the sensor/film.

In reality, I'd just like two additional stops, 1/1000 and 1/2000, I
can't think of a situation where I'd need a faster sync than that.
Most flash systems should be able to fit their flash inside that time
and because at these speeds on the D70, we are in electronic shutter
mode (the mechanical shutter has opened fully already, and will only
start closing after the electronic shutter does) so curtain shadows
etc are not going to be a problem. Typically, we don't need full power
flash, because we a doing a fill, so we are making it easy for the
flash system to fire at lower power within these timing constraints.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga wrote:

> flash, because we a doing a fill, so we are making it easy for the
> flash system to fire at lower power within these timing constraints.

At 1/1000 most flashes can deliver most of their power, or at worst 1
stop less than their full power.
At 1/2000 it might be as little a 1/4 or 1/8 of their full power.

That is still quite a lot and for a large flash probably more than you
need for fill on a sunny day at 10 feet away...

HSS does the job well... if seldomly in my case.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:04:16 PM

In article <jjas619vgn1j8r9rggkmp800ttb0r7cfqs@4ax.com>,
Owamanga <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 25 Apr 2005 22:12:30 -0400, dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <vvop61diuj1pn7sta8b0l99j8q0nlul1gf@4ax.com>,
>>Owamanga <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

>>>There's loads of stuff they could do:
>>>
>>>Remove the flash sync limit of 1/500 and let it go right up to 1/8000
>>>(currently, this can be achieved with a piece of electrical tape).
>>
>> How? And why would you need to?
>
>How? it is currently an firmware restriction that has no basis in
>electrical or physical restrictive capabilities of the camera.
>Solution: Remove the limit.

This implies that the mechanical shutter is *always* fully open
at any speed, and that the electro-optical shutter does it all.

>Why? Because I'd still like to use fill flash in full sunshine when my
>shutter speeds may be higher than 1/500th, that's why.

O.K. I haven't hit that problem yet.

[ ... ]

>>>Make the histogram review separate the R,G & B channels.
>>
>> That would be nice. Perhaps selected by vertical button presses
>>while in histogram mode. (Currently, it switches to the previous/next
>>photos in the queue, and I think that could be sacrificed in histogram
>>mode.)
>
>I was thinking of all three at the same time, 3 color coded graphs R,G
>& B that overlay each other (and go white where there is a presence of
>all 3 for example) - similar to how the adobe RAW importer shows it.

O.K. I've not seen that, because I don't use Adobe. I would
like the ability to see each color individually, just to look for
interesting artifacts. I'm not sure that would offer any serious
benefit, but I do have the curiosity.

[ ... ]

>> Except -- isn't 100% zoom equal to *no* zoom? I agree with
>>wanting more zoom when checking out an image before going on to another
>>subject.
>
>Yes, terminology really, 100% zoom would be one pixel in the image to
>one pixel on the LCD. I suspect the reason they don't do this is
>because what you are seeing (in the case of a RAW or RAW+B) is the
>jpeg thumbnail stored in the raw file, not the raw data itself.
>Therefore it makes sense there is an upper limit as you get towards
>1:1 where you'll start to see jpeg artifacts.

O.K. A good reason for not implementing it, then. It makes the
camera look worse than it should.

>>>Add mirror lock up (there may be physical reasons why they can't), or
>>>even slow-mode (mirror flips up, waits for shaking to stop, then
>>>shutter opens).
>>
>> The latter may be practical. I'm not sure whether there is any
>>*mechanical* way to lock it up, and if not, that keeps drawing power
>>from the battery into the mirror solenoid.
>
>Yes, the solenoid would need to remain energized. I'd happily expense
>that more power in return for zero camera shake.

It depends on the circumstances. But I guess that if I were
working in a situation where the mirror shake was a serious problem, I
would probably not be taking enough shots to worry about the battery
going dry.

>>>Add a 'compress' feature that removes only the jpegs from the card
>>>that you get if you are shooting RAW+B.
>>
>> Why?
>
>Habit, and this may be peculiar to me. But I like RAW+B because it
>fits my workflow better, the jpegs are used to rough review files to
>decide which RAWs will be worked on in Photoshop. I carry now 3x1Gb
>cards and a 1x500Mb card, plus a 40Gb hard-disk card reader thing, so
>usually don't run out of space and can have the luxury of shooting +B
>
>However, occasionally I'm in an environment where I've separated
>myself from the camera bag and hard-disk card reader and am running
>out of space on the cards (last time I was in a mangrove swamp with
>just one remaining card that was getting full (not a good idea). At
>that time, I'd like to be able to tell the camera to dump the jpegs &
>reclaim the space because I need it. Instead I have to stop what I'm
>doing, and start editing (deleting) the pictures in the field to make
>more room. The +B jpegs take about 12-15% of a card - enough for
>another 20 or so RAWs on a 1Gb card.

O.K. For your shooting practice, that makes sense.

>>Why not simply select just RAW if that is all that you
>>want. If you want *some* of the Basic images, you would need to go
>>through and selective delete them. (Hmm ... I haven't run in that mode
>>much -- *can* you delete them separately?)
>
>Nope you can't (in camera anyway). Also, this would be as
>time-consuming as having to review/delete when in the field. I just
>want to tell the camera "damn, I'm running out of space, give me space
>for another 20 shots, I'll rebuild the preview JPEGs later on my PC if
>I need them".

Of course -- there is the option of getting another CF card
instead. If I found myself running short like that, I would get one or
two more 1GB ones. They don't take much space -- though they are more
expensive than I would like -- especially the 80X Lexars which I use.

Enjoy,
DoN.

April 26, 2005 10:06:26 PM

On 26 Apr 2005 06:28:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
elprimogeeko@hotmail.com (MarkyBoyTM) wrote:

>You can even with the wirless one. I've had my D70 on a tripod and
>used the wireless remote from behind the camera with no problems.

??? It's not wireless, it's IR, so how do you get IR from the remote behind
the camera into the sensor on the front? Did you reflect it off something?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
April 26, 2005 10:06:27 PM

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o oet615cglsgp41gkfpqjvb6siqh1r12rl@4ax.com...
> On 26 Apr 2005 06:28:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
> elprimogeeko@hotmail.com (MarkyBoyTM) wrote:
>
> >You can even with the wirless one. I've had my D70 on a tripod and
> >used the wireless remote from behind the camera with no problems.
>
> ??? It's not wireless, it's IR, so how do you get IR from the remote
behind
> the camera into the sensor on the front? Did you reflect it off something?

I haven't tried fully from behind my Rebel XT but from the side I can be
quite behind the plane of the front of the camera and the IR still receives
a signal from the remote.

Greg
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:52:20 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:

> ??? It's not wireless, it's IR, so how do you get IR from the remote behind
> the camera into the sensor on the front? Did you reflect it off something?

IR is a portion of the EM spectrum. No wires. Wireless.

I've often used white paper or crumpled and then unfolded alu foil as a
reflector to aid IR controlled TTL flashes (Minolta) or to help slaves
set far away to fire.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:14:49 AM

In message <gwTae.1127967$8l.3210@pd7tw1no>,
"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:

>Does the new firmware give you iso 100 or a spot for a remote shutter cable?

If the firmware gives you ISO 100, it will do it by metering for ISO 50
in ISO 100-level amplification, and reducing the exposure during RAW
conversion. You can do that now, if you shoot in RAW. You lose a stop
of highlights, though.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:59:26 AM

Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

>> You can even with the wirless one. I've had my D70 on a tripod and
>> used the wireless remote from behind the camera with no problems.
>
> ??? It's not wireless, it's IR, so how do you get IR from the remote behind
> the camera into the sensor on the front? Did you reflect it off something?

It works fine most of the time. Though it is pretty silly to have the
receiver on the front of the camera instead of the back. I guess both
would have been ideal.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:52:20 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Ed Ruf wrote:
>

>> ??? It's not wireless, it's IR, so how do you get IR from the remote behind
>> the camera into the sensor on the front? Did you reflect it off something?
>
>IR is a portion of the EM spectrum. No wires. Wireless.

Pull foot out of mouth, Was a very long day.... Indeed IR is wireless, but
line of sight. I prefer calling it IR to distinguish from other
non-directional wireless connections.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
April 27, 2005 2:26:43 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:

> Pull foot out of mouth, Was a very long day.... Indeed IR is wireless, but
> line of sight. I prefer calling it IR to distinguish from other
> non-directional wireless connections.

Many "wireless" devices are both line of site and directional. Cell
phone tower antennas are directional (fat direction, 120° or so), radar
is very directional and line of site, many military tactical radios are
directional and line of site... I'll stop, I'm sure you get the point.

Calling it IR is fine and I tend to do the same thing ... as I find IR
to be finicky for controlling flashes (or the television for that matter).

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:51:56 PM

On 26 Apr 2005 17:04:16 -0400, dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

>In article <jjas619vgn1j8r9rggkmp800ttb0r7cfqs@4ax.com>,
>Owamanga <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On 25 Apr 2005 22:12:30 -0400, dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In article <vvop61diuj1pn7sta8b0l99j8q0nlul1gf@4ax.com>,
>>>Owamanga <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> [ ... ]

>>> How? And why would you need to?
>>
>>How? it is currently an firmware restriction that has no basis in
>>electrical or physical restrictive capabilities of the camera.
>>Solution: Remove the limit.
>
> This implies that the mechanical shutter is *always* fully open
>at any speed, and that the electro-optical shutter does it all.

Yes, it is fully open at all speeds. The D70 is mechanical up to
1/250th and then relies on the electronic shutter to cope with the
higher speeds. There is no shutter speed on the D70 where the
mechanical shutter doesn't fully open. Thus, excepting technical
issues with the duration of the flash itself, it (the camera) is quite
capable of synching at all shutter speeds.

So - B to 1/250 entirely mechanical. Beyond that, hybrid mechanical
(shutter opens for 1/250) + electronic.

People have tried this with an external flash with mixed results. The
limitation can be removed by using a non-nikon flash, or by use of
electrical tape to cover some of the flash contacts (simulating a
non-nikon flash). At very high shutter speeds, some loss in flash
power (and distance) is expected - where the total flash time is
longer than the fast shutter speed.

The hybrid shutter in the D70 protects the bayer filters on the sensor
from unwanted long term exposure to potentially damaging light by
keeping a mechanical shutter in front of it closed until a photo is
being taken.

[remainder snipped]

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

In message <42ft61dbvf4tvtapd3e33mpdt1t0elpuck@4ax.com>, I
JPS@no.komm, mistakenly wrote:

>In message <gwTae.1127967$8l.3210@pd7tw1no>,
>"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:
>
>>Does the new firmware give you iso 100 or a spot for a remote shutter cable?
>
>If the firmware gives you ISO 100, it will do it by metering for ISO 50
>in ISO 100-level amplification,

Don't know how I wrote that; perhaps I was translating it to my cameras.
That should be "metering for ISO 100 in ISO 100-level amplification".

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:08:09 AM

In message <q050719cr2nvp7dk272qfq5li86rgqksto@4ax.com>,
JPS@no.komm mistakenly re-wrote:

>In message <42ft61dbvf4tvtapd3e33mpdt1t0elpuck@4ax.com>, I
>JPS@no.komm, mistakenly wrote:
>
>>In message <gwTae.1127967$8l.3210@pd7tw1no>,
>>"Dirty Harry" <NOJUNK@FU.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>Does the new firmware give you iso 100 or a spot for a remote shutter cable?
>>
>>If the firmware gives you ISO 100, it will do it by metering for ISO 50
>>in ISO 100-level amplification,
>
>Don't know how I wrote that; perhaps I was translating it to my cameras.
>That should be "metering for ISO 100 in ISO 100-level amplification".

Damn!!! I still wrote it wrong. It should be, "metering for ISO 100 in
ISO 200-level amplification".

I just read over this twice, and I am 99% certain it is now correct!
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
!