New Canon DSLR Camera question

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 24, 2005 6:14:08 AM

Recently purchased a Canon 300D from B&H.
Quite a change from my Rebel 2000.
A whole lot of whistles and bells and looks to be quite a learning curve
ahead.

I am right handed but focus with my left eye.
I find that my left cheek is resting on the LED screen and it leaves a small
smear of skin oil on the screen.

Did I read somewhere that you can use a PDA replacement screen cover for
this problem.

Anyone have any suggestions.

One thing I really like about the 300D is the dioptic adjustment in the view
finder. I really had a problem wearing glasses and having to prop them on my
head every time I need to focus.

TIA........................Tom in Tomball, TX
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:43:56 AM

"Tom Hughes" <t.hughes@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Recently purchased a Canon 300D from B&H.
> Quite a change from my Rebel 2000.
> A whole lot of whistles and bells and looks to be quite a learning curve
> ahead.
>
> I am right handed but focus with my left eye.
> I find that my left cheek is resting on the LED screen and it leaves a small
> smear of skin oil on the screen.
>
> Did I read somewhere that you can use a PDA replacement screen cover for
> this problem.

I just wipe it off every week or so, if I notice. (I'm left-eyed
too).

> Anyone have any suggestions.
>
> One thing I really like about the 300D is the dioptic adjustment in the view
> finder. I really had a problem wearing glasses and having to prop them on my
> head every time I need to focus.

I'll guess you're near-sighted. Diopter adjustments work decently for
that, if the focusing screen image is too far away for you to see
without correction.

Unfortunately I'm now farsighted. I *could* arrange for diopter
adjustments so I could see the screen clearly without my glasses --
but they I couldn't see the three LCD displays on the camera (two B&W
plus the big color one), and couldn't read the menus displayed on
them, and couldn't read the control labels (though I may remember
where everything is by now).
April 24, 2005 5:54:10 PM

Thank you one and all...............

"Tom Hughes" <t.hughes@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Recently purchased a Canon 300D from B&H.
> Quite a change from my Rebel 2000.
> A whole lot of whistles and bells and looks to be quite a learning curve
> ahead.
>
> I am right handed but focus with my left eye.
> I find that my left cheek is resting on the LED screen and it leaves a
small
> smear of skin oil on the screen.
>
> Did I read somewhere that you can use a PDA replacement screen cover for
> this problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions.
>
> One thing I really like about the 300D is the dioptic adjustment in the
view
> finder. I really had a problem wearing glasses and having to prop them on
my
> head every time I need to focus.
>
> TIA........................Tom in Tomball, TX

April 24, 2005 9:38:45 PM

Tom Hughes wrote:
> Recently purchased a Canon 300D from B&H.
> Quite a change from my Rebel 2000.
> A whole lot of whistles and bells and looks to be quite a learning curve
> ahead.
>
> I am right handed but focus with my left eye.
> I find that my left cheek is resting on the LED screen and it leaves a small
> smear of skin oil on the screen.
>
> Did I read somewhere that you can use a PDA replacement screen cover for
> this problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions.
>
> One thing I really like about the 300D is the dioptic adjustment in the view
> finder. I really had a problem wearing glasses and having to prop them on my
> head every time I need to focus.
>
> TIA........................Tom in Tomball, TX

I use the PDA screen covers and am very satisfied with the results. Enjoy!
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:09:15 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:14:08 GMT, in
<QhDae.3445$L03.884@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, "Tom Hughes"
<t.hughes@sbcglobal.net> said:

>Recently purchased a Canon 300D from B&H.
>Quite a change from my Rebel 2000.
>A whole lot of whistles and bells and looks to be quite a learning curve
>ahead.
>
>I am right handed but focus with my left eye.
>I find that my left cheek is resting on the LED screen and it leaves a small
>smear of skin oil on the screen.

Same here.

>Did I read somewhere that you can use a PDA replacement screen cover for
>this problem.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions.

I bought the eyepiece extender to prevent skin oil marks & because I
dont like having my face pressing against the controls.

April 24, 2005 10:09:16 PM

> I bought the eyepiece extender to prevent skin oil marks & because I
> dont like having my face pressing against the controls.

Works for me, too!
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:42:18 PM

Tom Hughes wrote:

> I find that my left cheek is resting on the LED screen and it leaves a small
> smear of skin oil on the screen.
>
> Did I read somewhere that you can use a PDA replacement screen cover for
> this problem.

Not a replacement screen but a PDA protector.

Get a microfibre cloth to clean the monitor. Don't use the same cloth
to clean your lenses afterwards.

> Anyone have any suggestions.

Also reduce the fats in your diet.

> One thing I really like about the 300D is the dioptic adjustment in the view
> finder. I really had a problem wearing glasses and having to prop them on my
> head every time I need to focus.

eh? If you're using the diopter adjustment, then normally it is to shoot
without glasses.

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 5:55:59 PM

> I am right handed but focus with my left eye.
> I find that my left cheek is resting on the LED screen and it leaves a
small
> smear of skin oil on the screen.
>
> Did I read somewhere that you can use a PDA replacement screen cover for
> this problem.

Use your thumb to wipe off the screen.

--
Mark Lauter