Geforce GTS 250 Static

So, my GPU (GTS 250) has these static around the screen, much like a cable tv set with bad signal (if you visualize that). I dont understand why, is there not enough power or is something broken on it? I have dusted it and put new thermal paste on it to see if it was heat, still the same results, would underclocking/undervolting it work? I had to get a replacement card for the meantime to deal with this. Thanks for any answers.

A quick summary:

1. Video card has static lines all over screen
2. Power issue or Memory issue?
3. Heat?
4. Will underclocking/volting consume less power IF it is a power related problem?
11 answers Last reply
More about geforce static
  1. Hard to say about power, you did not say what power supply you have.

Usually when this happens, it's a dead card.

Have you tried it Safe Mode? New drivers?
  2. hang-the-9 said:
    Hard to say about power, you did not say what power supply you have.

Usually when this happens, it's a dead card.

Have you tried it Safe Mode? New drivers?

Thanks you for the reply! I am installing newest drivers right now! My PSU is Diablotek, so i'm thinking its a power problem now, correct?
  3. Ah diablotek is one of the crappiest brands for power supplies that I can think of. Now it could be your card is fault as well. Do you know the specs of the power supply like the wattage, how many 12v rails and what's the amperage on the rails
  4. Rockdpm said:
    Ah diablotek is one of the crappiest brands for power supplies that I can think of. Now it could be your card is fault as well. Do you know the specs of the power supply like the wattage, how many 12v rails and what's the amperage on the rails

I can provide you with a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822011&Tpk=psda400

I chose it because of budget restrictions :/, still a student, no cash and all. :( 10 bucks seemed like a deal at the time.
  5. That video card can draw up to 150 watts on it's own. Using a bad power supply, it can cause issues for sure. May have damaged the card even, need to try it in another system to see if it's OK. If it runs OK in another system, swap out the power supply.
  6. hang-the-9 said:
    That video card can draw up to 150 watts on it's own. Using a bad power supply, it can cause issues for sure. May have damaged the card even, need to try it in another system to see if it's OK. If it runs OK in another system, swap out the power supply.

Well, I installed newest drivers SO FAR its fine, I had to take out a couple of power cables from my disk drive to see if I can give more power to the video card and it's working so far, i'm about to test it out in BlackLight and Counter Strike, if it happens then i'll switch it to my replacement card and buy a new PSU. Oh, another question is this PSU good for gaming and such? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028
  7. yesimtaco said:
    Well, I installed newest drivers SO FAR its fine, I had to take out a couple of power cables from my disk drive to see if I can give more power to the video card and it's working so far, i'm about to test it out in BlackLight and Counter Strike, if it happens then i'll switch it to my replacement card and buy a new PSU. Oh, another question is this PSU good for gaming and such? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

Yes, that one should be fine.
  8. hang-the-9 said:

Much thanks for the reply!
  9. hang-the-9 said:

After testing both games, they seem to run fine. Is this good or just a matter of time before it starts again?
  10. yesimtaco said:
    After testing both games, they seem to run fine. Is this good or just a matter of time before it starts again?

No way to tell really, aside from trying it.

Run a benchmark like 3DMark, that should stress the card for a bit, should give you a decent idea if it will run OK.
  11. hang-the-9 said:
    No way to tell really, aside from trying it.

Run a benchmark like 3DMark, that should stress the card for a bit, should give you a decent idea if it will run OK.

Will do, thanks for the wonderful support!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Graphics Product