Sign in with
Your question

GTX 680, is this right?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2012 1:10:06 PM

Alright, so.. Is this right? http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/10/12/f62.png
My memory clock seems wrong? I don't know much about computers, but heard that something in this card is like 6208, frequency or whatever. Is this right? This is under full load, stress testing with AIDA. The computer slows down more than when I stress test my CPU.. It really becomes like.. Unuseable under full load. Is this normal?

More about : gtx 680

October 12, 2012 1:28:20 PM

I have done tests (superclocked edition" and in 3dmark I get like 9400 score as I should I guess, ive seen ppl with much higher though.. Is that normal? Average FPS all maxed in Heaven benchmark is 47.
In GW2 I struggle hard and can get to 15 FPS in WvW as lowest, in Borderlands 2 I drop to like 35 as lowest, but mostly stay above 60, and that is right according to benchmarks..

and can high gpu usage cause lag? i did a stress test on my gpu and it became VEEERY laggy when I did that, more than when i stress test my cpu.. it was really undealable. i get 99% gpu usage in games aswell, can that slow down my FPS?
thanks
October 12, 2012 1:35:24 PM

Why do you stress test?They only cause harm especially that notorious furmark.Heaven benchmark is the best stress test.Your memory speed is correct.6208 is the effective speed.Real speed is the one shown in gpuz.

What your full system spec?Guild war2 is running crap ever launch.Its a cpu limited game just like skyrim when it first came out.

What is your res?

OFC your pc will slow down when you stress test.What do you expect to do when stress testing?Playing BF3 along with it.
Related resources
October 12, 2012 1:42:01 PM

cooldudesubho said:
Why do you stress test?They only cause harm especially that notorious furmark.Heaven benchmark is the best stress test.Your memory speed is correct.6208 is the effective speed.Real speed is the one shown in gpuz.

What your full system spec?Guild war2 is running crap ever launch.Its a cpu limited game just like skyrim when it first came out.

What is your res?

OFC your pc will slow down when you stress test.What do you expect to do when stress testing?Playing BF3 along with it.

Well, I get alot of drops.. It's unplayable, my average fps is maybe 70, but every second it drops to 30 quickly and then back again.. im bored of gw2 so doesnt matter, i just wonder if its my computer that fails..
1920x1080
i5 2500k 4.2 (how do I check if this is stable? i stress tested it and voltage is 1.38 or something, temperature never surpass 60, not even 50 when gaming).
P67-c45
650 w power supply.
October 12, 2012 1:49:24 PM

coolsamme said:
Well, I get alot of drops.. It's unplayable, my average fps is maybe 70, but every second it drops to 30 quickly and then back again.. im bored of gw2 so doesnt matter, i just wonder if its my computer that fails..
1920x1080
i5 2500k 4.2 (how do I check if this is stable? i stress tested it and voltage is 1.38 or something, temperature never surpass 60, not even 50 when gaming).
P67-c45
650 w power supply.

WHich game does that?Is your gtx 680 stock or OC?Which brand is your powersupply?
October 12, 2012 1:51:30 PM

cooldudesubho said:
WHich game does that?Is your gtx 680 stock or OC?Which brand is your powersupply?

Antec.
GW2 does that.
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2012 2:06:08 PM

To test the stability of your over lock run prime 95. And cooldud is correct the 6208 is your memory clock. The overclock you have seems stable but sounds like you either dont have enough voltage going to something or you have a bottleneck still. Which your i5 should handle a 680 easily but 4.2 isn't a high of. I have my 3570k at 4.4 and it really made a difference
October 12, 2012 2:12:53 PM

Rockdpm said:
To test the stability of your over lock run prime 95. And cooldud is correct the 6208 is your memory clock. The overclock you have seems stable but sounds like you either dont have enough voltage going to something or you have a bottleneck still. Which your i5 should handle a 680 easily but 4.2 isn't a high of. I have my 3570k at 4.4 and it really made a difference

I've tried higher my then it just underclocks itself to around 4.2 again. I have done right voltage settings and so on, so thats my limit. Am I really bottlenecking? :/ //
October 12, 2012 2:15:14 PM

Rockdpm said:

Prime95 is bugged I think.. its automatically 3,7 ghz whatever overclock setting, which doesnt happen even if I have aida stress test on + alot of other stress tests. GW2 is my only problem, is this rly at my end?
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2012 2:28:20 PM

ok eIther your motherboard is weird or your not actually running 4.4 ghz
October 12, 2012 2:52:08 PM

Rockdpm said:
ok eIther your motherboard is weird or your not actually running 4.4 ghz

it's 4.2 and i got alot of positive difference in gw2. ALL my stuttering went away when moving camera and so.
October 12, 2012 3:07:52 PM

anyone?
October 12, 2012 4:06:18 PM

I have the exact same gtx 680 model (sli'd with another, but set as my primary) and play more GPU intensive games. You're right on BL2 and your gtx 680 is fine.

That's a pretty high voltage for a relatively low OC on the 2500K and GW2 is a CPU intensive game. I would wager that rockdpm might be on to something is not right with your MB/CPU.
October 12, 2012 4:15:07 PM

Au_equus said:
I have the exact same gtx 680 model (sli'd with another, but set as my primary) and play more GPU intensive games. You're right on BL2 and your gtx 680 is fine.

That's a pretty high voltage for a relatively low OC on the 2500K and GW2 is a CPU intensive game. I would wager that rockdpm might be on to something is not right with your MB/CPU.

Thanks so much for saying that my performance in BL2 is as it should. I'm buying a new motherboard and CPU this christmas luckily! Is that voltage too high? is it dangerous?
October 12, 2012 4:33:21 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

This should not be in the new build forum, I'm wondering if there are something wrong with specifally my graphics card, and we are trying to investigate where my problem lays, and if it has to do with my GPU. Sorry for the bump post.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
October 12, 2012 4:35:42 PM

coolsamme said:
This should not be in the new build forum, I'm wondering if there are something wrong with specifally my graphics card, and we are trying to investigate where my problem lays, and if it has to do with my GPU. Sorry for the bump post.

The wrong forum bit was a whoopsy and has been edited.
October 12, 2012 4:47:19 PM

coolsamme said:
Alright, so.. Is this right? http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/10/12/f62.png
My memory clock seems wrong? I don't know much about computers, but heard that something in this card is like 6208, frequency or whatever. Is this right? This is under full load, stress testing with AIDA. The computer slows down more than when I stress test my CPU.. It really becomes like.. Unuseable under full load. Is this normal?

Multiply Frequency by 4.

GDDR5 = base memory x2, then x2 again.

I hope that helps. GPU-Z is reading it correctly, to get the Effective Memory you need to do the math I outlined above.

Edit: Also you want 99% GPU usage, otherwise that means your CPU is bottlenecking it. Its perfectly normal for 99% GPU usage in game. That means its stretching its legs to the full extent.
October 12, 2012 5:03:33 PM

yarmock said:
Multiply Frequency by 4.

GDDR5 = base memory x2, then x2 again.

I hope that helps. GPU-Z is reading it correctly, to get the Effective Memory you need to do the math I outlined above.

Edit: Also you want 99% GPU usage, otherwise that means your CPU is bottlenecking it. Its perfectly normal for 99% GPU usage in game. That means its stretching its legs to the full extent.

Alright, thanks. So I guess my FPS is normal in Borderlands 2? But in GW2.. What is the problem there really? i heard it got some bug with overclocked GPUs but I have no idea..
October 12, 2012 5:12:42 PM

coolsamme said:
Alright, thanks. So I guess my FPS is normal in Borderlands 2? But in GW2.. What is the problem there really? i heard it got some bug with overclocked GPUs but I have no idea..

Could be a game bug. Could be a bad Overclock. Your voltages seem a tad high, you should try lowering them very slightly, then running prime95 for about 15 minutes to make sure its stable, then keep going down until then. That may not be required honestly.

I would make sure you have the latest drivers for your GTX 680. Other than that if thats the only game you have an issue with, then its most likely the game.

If it were gpu or cpu related all games would exhibit that behavior.

Edit: You really dont need to upgrade your CPU and MOBO. Your current setup is fine.
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2012 6:07:57 PM

if you think overclocking mess up with your performance then revert everything back to stock setting and try running benchmark or games once again. about GW2 i heard there was a bit of issues with nvidia cards as of now. it could be driver related or the game itself.
October 12, 2012 6:13:39 PM

Yeah, I know but some people claims that they get very good framerates with same build as mine. Maybe kids just trying to make me mad. I dunno, I have spoken to many people with the same performance like me aswell.. Well, I think my performance in other games are fine? Seems to be according to benchmarks in Borderlands 2, Dishonored aswell (130 all the time), Sleeping Dogs and Heaven Benchmark.
Is heaven benchmark a "proof"? Can I use it time to time to see if my computer performs as well as it should and not worry about my end as long as I get good results in there?
thanks guys, and im buying a new motherboard since i can't overclock my cpu more, and in BL2 for example, the i7 3770 performs 16 FPS better than i5 2500k at stock.

And about me seeing decreased performance.. Well, very not. In GW2 I was chocked by the performance, in WvW its the same but in normal pve its much better. I logged in today and it sucked again, but that must certainly be after a patch or so I guess, nothing has changed and my performance in Heaven is as it was back then.

Do you guys think that I'll run games like FarCry 3, Assassins Creed 3, Watch Dogs for example, on maxed settings?
October 12, 2012 6:18:26 PM

coolsamme said:
Thanks so much for saying that my performance in BL2 is as it should. I'm buying a new motherboard and CPU this christmas luckily! Is that voltage too high? is it dangerous?

There is no reason to buy a new motherboard and CPU, there is no real "upgrade" from an i5 2500k for gaming. If you really believe your cpu or mobo are defective, you should check to see if they are under warranty still and try to get them replaced.. But from what i have read in this post I would assume its something software related not hardware.
October 12, 2012 6:44:50 PM

Derza10 said:
There is no reason to buy a new motherboard and CPU, there is no real "upgrade" from an i5 2500k for gaming. If you really believe your cpu or mobo are defective, you should check to see if they are under warranty still and try to get them replaced.. But from what i have read in this post I would assume its something software related not hardware.

My MOBO does not support pcie-3 though! I want that + it doesn't support sli which I also want in the future!
October 12, 2012 6:53:52 PM

coolsamme said:
My MOBO does not support pcie-3 though! I want that + it doesn't support sli which I also want in the future!

so wait till the future when you need those things, I'd recommend waiting for at least the next generation of CPU's. If you decide you need to go SLI at that point you can upgrade the motherboard...But its normally better to just buy a single higher end card than SLIing, and if you only play on 1 monitor really no reason to ever pick SLI over 1 graphic card solution(unless you plan to play in 3D).
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_2...
little to no advantage of having pcie 3.0 vs 2.0.

But do whatever you want, just seems like a total waste of money to me. Hope I have helped.
October 12, 2012 7:03:56 PM

Derza10 said:
so wait till the future when you need those things, I'd recommend waiting for at least the next generation of CPU's. If you decide you need to go SLI at that point you can upgrade the motherboard...But its normally better to just buy a single higher end card than SLIing, and if you only play on 1 monitor really no reason to ever pick SLI over 1 graphic card solution(unless you plan to play in 3D).
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_2...
little to no advantage of having pcie 3.0 vs 2.0.

But do whatever you want, just seems like a total waste of money to me. Hope I have helped.

But 35 FPS as lowest in Borderlands 2 still isn't great. Games like GTA V that may come May next year, I won't be able to max, I don't even max Metro at 60 FPS, or Witcher 2 with ubersampling!
October 12, 2012 7:08:32 PM

coolsamme said:
But 35 FPS as lowest in Borderlands 2 still isn't great. Games like GTA V that may come May next year, I won't be able to max, I don't even max Metro at 60 FPS, or Witcher 2 with ubersampling!

Not many systems max metro or witcher 2 @ 60 fps. So dont base it on that.

Again, your overclock could be causing issues. Try resetting to stock and retesting if you havent already. Just dont forget to write down your settings so you can easily overclock again after testing at stock.
October 12, 2012 7:10:31 PM

coolsamme said:

do it if you really think $800-$1000 in upgrades is worth very minimal FPS increase in SOME games. (CPU ~$250 Mobo ~$200 and another 680 ~$500)

was just trying to inform you so you can make your own decisions with more knowledge.
October 12, 2012 7:18:41 PM

Also to point out that your CPU might be an issue, i read some reviews of BL2 and benchmarks.

It's a very CPU-bottlenecked game (EDIT: as others have pointed, out, it's actually CPU-limited) - at 1680, the top 10 cards all exhibit about the same fps on a 3770k, and even at 1920, there's very little differentiation at the top. It responds linearly to CPU overclocks - that's almost unheard of in modern games.

^^ That is from a review site. Apparently overclocking doesnt help out in BL2. So as I pointed out earlier. Try going back to stock and testing BL2 again.

here is the link for that article.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2271996

and on this site... with everything maxed at 1080p you should get a min of 52. Again there are other factors that play into that.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/01/borderlands_2...

Theres the link for that.

October 12, 2012 7:38:37 PM

yarmock said:
Also to point out that your CPU might be an issue, i read some reviews of BL2 and benchmarks.

It's a very CPU-bottlenecked game (EDIT: as others have pointed, out, it's actually CPU-limited) - at 1680, the top 10 cards all exhibit about the same fps on a 3770k, and even at 1920, there's very little differentiation at the top. It responds linearly to CPU overclocks - that's almost unheard of in modern games.

^^ That is from a review site. Apparently overclocking doesnt help out in BL2. So as I pointed out earlier. Try going back to stock and testing BL2 again.

here is the link for that article.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2271996

and on this site... with everything maxed at 1080p you should get a min of 52. Again there are other factors that play into that.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/01/borderlands_2...

Theres the link for that.

There's another link saying minium of 37.
But is it really worth the hassle? I have got no problems at all expect for GW2.. I mean, at all..
October 12, 2012 7:40:17 PM

coolsamme said:

Its your money do whatever you like with it.LOL.
a b Î Nvidia
October 13, 2012 1:45:53 AM

coolsamme said:
Do you guys think that I'll run games like FarCry 3, Assassins Creed 3, Watch Dogs for example, on maxed settings?

this is the hardware needed to run Far Cry 3:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/75919/far-cry-3-system...

to me it is hard to believe such spec even it was confirm by ubisoft themselves. for example under the recommended spec they list you need GTX480 for nvidia and HD5770 for AMD which imply that HD5770 will perform about the same as fast as GTX480 which is more than twice more powerful than 5770 itself. we will know for sure when the game comes out later but one thing i did know is the game itself is under AMD Gaming Evolved banner so the game optimised for amd hardware from the get go is to be expected

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/games-news/amds-gam...

this one is for assassin creed 3:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/75931/assassins-creed-...

as for watch dogs the game is still in development and because of that any info regarding the game are still scarce at this time. the only thing i heard about was it will utilize next gen hardware (i think they meant console next gen hardware when they mention this).

coolsamme said:

changing your mobo to the one equipped with PCI-E 3.0 are useless for you. as long as you keep using 2500K you will be stuck with PCI-E 2.0

coolsamme said:

btw what is your resolution? did you consistently get below 40 fps most of the time? metro is quite challenging to max out and to i don't think there are any gpu out there able to take on the witcher 2 with uber sampling enabled.
October 13, 2012 8:23:04 AM

Woh i thought FC3 with dunia engine will be a nvidia game considering how far cry2 always run better on nvidia card.Oh well hope AMD doesn't screw the perfoamnce that much through code since it will be one of my fav game.
October 13, 2012 9:46:46 AM

Far cry 3 will almost certainly prefer AMD:

And do you mean screw with performance like Nvidia did with Crysis 2 where they left the ocean on under the entire level to increase tessellation requirements on the GPU for no reason other than to try to help out their performance vs AMD's cards? :lol: 

-edit- Just realized that was already linked above. Oh well...
a c 168 Î Nvidia
October 13, 2012 10:27:37 AM

BigMack70 said:

And do you mean screw with performance like Nvidia did with Crysis 2 where they left the ocean on under the entire level to increase tessellation requirements on the GPU for no reason other than to try to help out their performance vs AMD's cards? :lol: 

Are you sure that's the reason or is it just that any other explanation doesn't fit with your conspiracy theory?
October 13, 2012 10:51:37 AM

It was a JOKE mouse... just poking fun at one of our resident Nvidia fanboys
a b Î Nvidia
October 13, 2012 2:07:28 PM

Who's our resident NVIDIA fanboy?
October 13, 2012 2:17:24 PM

cooldudesubho
a b Î Nvidia
October 13, 2012 2:36:39 PM

Ah well you can't blame him for being supportive. We have AMD fanboys at this residence as well
October 13, 2012 2:40:57 PM

BigMack70 said:
cooldudesubho

And you are a resident AMD fanboy.I saw you posting crap about nvidia in other sites also.Where no one even bothers replying to all your crap you post.You are a joke.
October 13, 2012 3:19:22 PM

cooldudesubho said:
And you are a resident AMD fanboy.I saw you posting crap about nvidia in other sites also.Where no one even bothers replying to all your crap you post.You are a joke.

Links to all this "crap" I've been talking about nvidia please?

Yeah I must be an AMD fanboy... definitely makes the best sense of my hatred of Bulldozer, my recommendations of both Nvidia and AMD cards to people, my defending of Nvidia's cards against some AMD fanboys (most recently luciferano), my alternation between AMD and Nvidia in my rigs, and my repeated explanations all over this board that I have no issues with Nvidia, only their GTX 6xx series cards.

Also, it's kind of ironic that you try to say something about nobody "bothering" to reply to me, while you yourself are in the middle of bothering to reply to me... :lol: 

Sad.
October 13, 2012 3:27:54 PM

ok lets stop man.Before this turn ugly.
October 13, 2012 3:54:57 PM

It's not so much ugly as it is farcical since the only way you know how to respond to me is to call me names that don't make any sense :lol: 
a b Î Nvidia
October 13, 2012 4:02:10 PM

ok look one of you is a AMD fanboy and the other a NVIDIA fanboy. CAN IT!. If you two b org dont end it now I will have BOTH of you removed from this post. I'm tired of seeing these threads that end up 1 side vs the other... When the person just wants a simple answer
October 13, 2012 4:36:12 PM

Not sure how AMD fanboy applies to me rock, for the reasons stated (and not rebutted btw)... and last I checked you're not a mod. OP got his answer, this thread should get closed. I'm out.
a b Î Nvidia
October 14, 2012 1:42:51 AM

yea last I check your not either. But last I checked its not hard for me to get in touch with one...
a b Î Nvidia
October 14, 2012 2:32:18 AM

BigMack70 said:

let me join the conspiracy theory.... :lol: 

AFAIK in Crysis 2 that overkill tessellation aspect is to show us the tessellation strength of GTX580. with 6k series and 5k series amd was promoting tessellation as one of new must have features but they were beaten by nvidia in their own game. i said they were beaten to their own game because amd the one that pushing tessellation being use in games. even the old 4k series have tessellation engine in them

Quote:
Dynamic Geometry Acceleration
High performance vertex cache
Programmable tessellation unit
Accelerated geometry shader path for geometry amplification
Memory read/write cache for improved stream output performance

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

so with upcoming Far Cry 3 the 5770 will have same performance as GTX480. so what is the advantages of 5770 to make it on par with 480 in that game? on the high performance spec they mention you're going to need 2600K just to have comparable performance to FX4150.

honestly i'm excited right now :D 
October 14, 2012 2:54:30 AM

Minimum and recommended specs are almost always seem to me like a bunch of ill thought out guesswork... there's not a snowball's chance in hell of you needing an i7-2600k to match an FX-4150 or that a 5770 would match a 480 in anything.
a b Î Nvidia
October 14, 2012 3:18:28 AM

Exactly. I think thats some of AMD's marketing shceme trying to take an opportunity to say their hardware is better because the game is supposed to favor AMD over anything else
October 14, 2012 10:17:40 AM

Ubisoft always makes unoptimised POS games for PC.I just hope FC3 is optimised.
!