myromes

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Ok, frustrating problem here with my girlfriend`s PC. Here are the details:

New video card: AMD 5450 (512mb)
PC: HP a6037c

New PSU: Cooler Master Elite Power 400w

Steps I took:

1) Installed the PSU & Video Card, plugged in it booted up (fans, lights, HDD etc) but no video signal
2) Pulled the video card out, plugged into onboard graphics, everything was fine, booted into Windows
3) Installed AMD 5450 grahics drivers, still no signal
4) Uninstalled on-board graphics drivers in Windows, put video card back in, still no signal
5) Checked BIOS and it`s set to use "PCI" before onboard
6) Reset CMOS by moving the jumper according to the instructions here and still no signal

What else can I do here? I think I've proved that the monitor works, MOBO works, PSU works but still no signal on the graphics card...

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
You said you checked BIOS and it is set for PCI graphics? Only thing is your video card is PCIe, maybe I misunderstood you meaning. Anyway you coolermaster PSU is not rated real well, as your link from hardwaresecrets says in the conclusion, last paragraph! I would try a different power supply.

myromes

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
does the fan spin on the graphics card?

There's no fan on this graphics card

You said you checked BIOS and it is set for PCI graphics? Only thing is your video card is PCIe, maybe I misunderstood you meaning. Anyway you coolermaster PSU is not rated real well, as your link from hardwaresecrets says in the conclusion, last paragraph! I would try a different power supply.

Yes, I was concerned that is said "PCI" and not "PCI-e" but a couple other threads I read seemed to suggest that some motherboards just lump them into the same.

The review also says: "Elite Power 400 W can really deliver its labeled wattage (in fact we could pull up to 420 W from it), provides an outstanding voltage regulation" And the graphics card is a low power model.. I could try a new PSU as a last resort.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If the card fitted in, then that should be PCIe.

Can you run another cable, let's say HDMI if your current setup is with DVI, from the card to another monitor, leaving the previous connection in tact.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Make sure it's set for PCIe not just PCI. You may want to reset the BIOS to defaults see if that helps. Occasionally something else will effect video.

Try plugging in a different monitor to the card see if it works.

What type of monitor and cable are you using?

myromes

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Good suggestion, I'm thinking it could be the monitor. She uses it as an HTPC so it's connected to her Samsung LCD TV via VGA. It's possible that's the problem, just to be safe I'll try it via HDMI and then try a different monitor to rule that out.

Regarding the PCI vs PCI-e in the BIOS this response from the Intel forum for this same motherboard (P5LP-LE) says:

Actually, the Intel 945G Express Chipset is based on PCI Express technology. If you have added a PCI Express video card, there is no need to disable the onboard graphics. This should be electronically disabled by now

But in this youtube video with the same motherboard he has an option to select "PCI-E" I don't see this option in my BIOS, only "PCI" and "Onboard"

myromes

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Update on this: solved

Ended up finding a bunch of other forum posts about people who tried the HD 5450 with this motherboard P5LP-LE and encountered the same issue. No real reason why. Some people are saying it's because it's a PCI-E 2.1 card and this mobo supposedly only supports 2.0

I returned the card and got a GEForce 520 instead and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.