Jul 8, 2001
Hey,
I just finished upgrading my comp to as follows:
Epox EKHA+ (something like that) with the KT266s chipset
ATI Radeon 8500 OEM
30 GB hard drive
Soon to have 256 MICRON DDR and 2 x Crucial 256 DDR

But now I need a new sound card.
I need it for games, basic mp3 listening, CD's and mabye music (score/playback) stuff.
Any recomendations to a good STABLE sound card?
Hows the new Creative Audigy?
I really want something tat wont crack a lot and something that is very stable.

Thanks!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Creative has a pretty poor driver department, although the Audigy seems to be a good card.
You might want to look at Hercules' cards, they're very good.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
i would use the turtle beach santa cruz
<A HREF="http://www.voyetra-turtle-beach.com/site/products/santacru/" target="_new">http://www.voyetra-turtle-beach.com/site/products/santacru/</A>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i suggest you to go straight to creative

there is no compatibility pb with sb

i think the last one from creative, the Audigy, is a good card

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i used sb cards about 10 years & i had never any pb
mismatch sounds, drivers, soft, games & so on

ok, buy nothing.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you do not have too many card on your PCI then Audigy should work fine. I think getting Audigy is good idea. Creative have the largest share of sound card market so the new feature of Audigy will be support by game manufaturer in the future.

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like Labdog, I've been using SB sound cards for a while now without any real problems, but then if you look through this forum, and others like it, you'll see that there are a few people who have.

Wtih VIA chipsets, the card doesn't seem to like to share IRQ's, and in some cases you've got to update your BIOS & Drivers to get the thing going OK (I am NOT saying that there are problems with VIA chipsets here!). There are also issues with the card when you have many other PCI devices installed in your PC.

That's at least with the LIVE card. The Audigy's still a new card, so there are not enough people out there using it to gain an impression on how good the card is. For what it's worth, I've got one, and I like it. :smile:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
...oh sorry,its a mistake, about 18 years with the first 8bits sb on a 286 pc in about 1983 for my first game

...oh sorry, its another mistake, i hav played my first game on oric with its immense 4Ko of memory
just after thomson to7 & the great zx81. the game name was "Gold Eagle", if i remember correctly
but i don't remember the cpu speed, about 16Mhz, i think

but my unique regret is to not know the bulbs first computers & them perforated cards :cc

ok, buy nothing.

G

Just get a cheap soudn cart.
The Quality isn't that much different with more expensiver carts!
Í have a onboard sound and it works just fine too!
Spend the money on other things, like coolers.!

King_Denim

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
It's too hard to recommend soundcards without knowing what it will be used for. If you use it for serious music making the Audigy cards don't cut it,not being true 24bit.Also midi functions,sample rate,whether or not it has on board DSP,D/A convertor quality and microphone pre-amp quality all contribute to the end results.The top Audigy goes for over £200 but is what I would call a hi-end all purpose and gaming card . The Santa Cruz almost matches the quality and is cheap at £50(OEM) which is 18bit I think,and some Audigys are not much more than that and also sound great.If you're serious about music making and have big bucks check out cards such as the Terratec 6FIRE which is true 24bit with onboard sound or the Audiophile 24/96 which is very high quality but minus the onboard sound I think.

TRENDING THREADS