Help with gaming and editing build, advice

johnnyp26

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
So here's my story. I work from home and currently use a laptop with 2 external monitors. I've been a laptop guy for years because I like the portability. So I was dead set on buying a new Alienware M18XR2. Added everything up I wanted and was looking at like $3300 with dual 680m's. The work programs I run aren't anything taxing at all, I just use a lot of programs so I need the screen real estate. So now I'm thinking of buying an Alienware for like $2k and building a PC for about $1k. I'm more of a console gamer, but I play occasional PC games. I will be playing the new SimCity. and BF3 for sure. I will also be doing some HD video editing in Cyberlink Powerstudio and Sony Vegas Pro. Nothing huge there, just home movies. I've got the OS, mouse, keyboard ect.

A big key is I play to eventually have 3 monitors running with this setup. I have 2 now, but they are cheap and one is a 22" and one a 24". So the plan is to sell those and get 3 nice 24" with at least one being 120hz. So with that said, I will be adding a 2nd card in SLI and want to make sure that with this build I am setting myself up to be able to just add the 2nd card in. So if I need to spend an extra $20 on the power supply now to make sure I don't have to get one when I add the 2nd card in 6 months no problem. Let me know what you think about what I put together, I'm sure there are areas you guys can improve upon. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $976.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-03 09:13 EST-0500)

Solution
Guru 3d recommends a 750W PSU for 2 of these cards in SLI so the one you selected already meets the minimum recommendation:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_review,8.html

But you also have to take into account they are using a higher-draw i7-965 extreme overclocked and have to assume a person would be using a low-quality 750W with not as much +12V rail amperage as such a unit should have, so they are very conservative with this number. Where you have a high-quality 750W PSU and a much lower-power CPU I'm confident you are more than safe in that department.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Guru 3d recommends a 750W PSU for 2 of these cards in SLI so the one you selected already meets the minimum recommendation:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_review,8.html

But you also have to take into account they are using a higher-draw i7-965 extreme overclocked and have to assume a person would be using a low-quality 750W with not as much +12V rail amperage as such a unit should have, so they are very conservative with this number. Where you have a high-quality 750W PSU and a much lower-power CPU I'm confident you are more than safe in that department.

Solution