Using XP with Win7Pro

ThorOdinson

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
After using XP for years and finding it to be a premier OS I was advised Win7Pro would run the over 10K worth of software I had purchased. How do I access the XP feature? Do i open XP (like a partition) and install my XP programs?

Have numerous clients I advise on management issues and they often have XP programs they want me to install on my computer. No problem on my old Toshiba running only XP. But now???? Help PS Will my printer drivers work? Where do I install those?

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
The first method is to create a dual boot, or multiboot configuration between Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 7. The first step is to ensure you have a separate location for each operating system you intend to use. In this scenario you will want to have one partition for Windows 7 and a second, separate, partition for Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Just as an added tool, Microsoft has a helpful video of how this process is performed here. Another great resource is the multiboot step-by-step guide Install more than one operating system (multiboot.)

However, with that said, perhaps the easiest way to run Microsoft Windows XP within Windows 7 is through Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC just as another member of this thread pointed out. Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, allow you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop. A great video to demonstrate this can be found on the TechNet site here. For those who do are not currently running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate, there is an easy upgrade path to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate through the Windows Anytime Upgrade program.

Please note that Windows XP Mode is a virtualized environment and is not recommended for graphically intense applications. If utilizing Windows XP is contingent upon the use of a graphically intense piece of software, it would be advisable to consider the previously mentioned dual boot environment as a more successful path.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

ThorOdinson

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

Jessica--After mistakenly buying a computer with Vista and being told there was "no way" to have it dual boot to handle my XP stuff I stumbled on a tech who could make it work (there might have been a few drivers that didn't jive but it printed, played videos, had sound, etc.)

He isn't available anymore and that computer died. So I got a Win7 laptop with an anytime upgrade to Pro. I'm a little leary about creating a dual boot on my new one unless you can tell me how to save all the data & programs (I've heard the word "image" bandied around).

I admit to being lax with backups and the times I've tried to "burn" a DVD have not always worked due to a "+" or "-" on the rewritable DVD. So I got a USB external 3.5" floppy and limped along with that. Some of the client specific software dates back to DOS but XP always ran it. Ideas? BTW--No XP Pro Thanks, Thor