[Solved] Connecting a second monitor

miketerrazas

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
I have a Gateway DX4870 (Intel Core i5) using an Intel HD Graphics Adapter.
The machine has a VGA port and an HDMI port.
I have tried using USB->VGA and successfully got a second monitor to work, but was unhappy with the resolution, so I decided to try an HDMI cable, since my monitor (ACER S2320) supports that and works great on my HP machine.

As I boot up, the HDMI works fine and the second monitor is a clone of the primary throughout the BIOS boot and the Windows starting screen. But as soon as Windows (Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1) comes up, the second monitor goes black. I cannot add the device, nothing. I have tried Windows-key P, I have tried control panel. The driver says it's up to date (8.15.10.2598)

It doesn't seem to be hardware or BIOS. It's not the monitor, that's working fine when I put it on my HP. I can't seem to find my HDMI port in Windows, any ideas on how to turn it on?
Thanks,
MikeT

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Right click on your desktop. Select Screen Resolution.

Are 2 displays showing? If so, select "Extend these displays" under the Multiple Displays selection.

You may need to drag the 2 displays into the proper order for your use.

Good luck!

miketerrazas

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
No, there are not two displays showing. There is also no way I can find to get it to show two displays on that screen. There is a link to add a device, but it doesn't recognize my monitor. That was what I did for the USB monitor. It seems that during startup, Windows is disabling the HDMI port, since it worked during the boot process. How do I get it to recognize the port?

miketerrazas

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

It looked very promising. I downloaded the new driver, and during the instal, my monitor on the HDMI port became active as the primary, my VGA monitor as secondary. That's an easy problem to fix, or I could live with just that. But then, after the restart, the same thing as before happened. Both monitors show during boot but the HDMI monitor goes off and nothing seems to make it show once Windows starts.

My system shows the new driver as active now, version 9.17.10.2792.

Is there no way to access the port and enable it? Or what else can I do?

miketerrazas

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Thank you! That was perfect! It works like a champ now.

1. connected my 23" by the VGA, (disconnecting the HDMI)
2. rebooted,
3. downloaded the Acer driver,
4. swapped the VGA to my 20",
5. reconnected my 23" to the HDMI
6. set the screen order & arrangement to what I wanted
7. rebooted

Again, thank you! Mike Terrazas