Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA or ATi?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 6:08:30 PM

Hi folks,
I was just wondering what people liked about NVIDIA and ATi? I have had both and for some reason which I can't put my hand on is I prefer ATi but I don't know why....
The only thing I think NVIDIA has over ATi is PhysX which I don't really remember improving over an ATi card. Look at Batman Archam Asylum I played the game back to back with me on my HD5970 and my mate on his NVIDIA GTX570 and couldn't pick out any difference. Maybe i'm blind but I would like to know what other peoples opinions are but without any sillyness.
Thanks.... :) 

More about : nvidia ati

a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 6:20:06 PM

I'm generally pretty agnostic on the whole thing, but on the various iterations of my HTPC using XBMC, every time I have an ATI/AMD card installed, I have this problem with the Win 7 taskbar putting itself on top of the XBMC interface. I don't have this problem with nVidia cards. So I tend to stick to nVidia for that on my HTPC.

Just based on a completely unscientific collection of info I've seen as a result of my job, which sees me hitting a number of major web forums daily, AMD seems to have the more innovative hardware but it's hobbled by routinely hit or miss driver releases. nVidia is a bit more stable, but also a bit more boring. Like if you want SLI/Crossfire, nVidia (as I understand it, I'm more of a console gamer) has pretty rigid requirements, whereas AMD lets you stick almost any two random cards together you want.

But in terms of image quality or game performance, I don't think you're going to find a big difference between the two.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 6:27:32 PM

lol...

Yea kkk1, that question is usually frowned upon in most forums...

Im pretty sure there were differences in BAC between the 5970 and 570...

The differences are pretty well known...AMD.. usually better multi monitor support, higher mem bandwidth more vram

Nvidia... better support for 3d, Adaptive vsync, TXAA, PhysX etc etc...

Its all subject to change though and there usually is the better card but it all depends on what the user wants out of it...

You can't just answer that question with the info you have given
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2012 6:27:55 PM

both offer different experiences, and different capabilities. its up to the user to decide which capabilities will be used the most.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 6:59:33 PM

I have dual monitor setup at the mo and want to increase this to 3 later but at the mo I still have very decent fram rates on my HD 5970. Maybe i'll xfire two 7970's but I know two GTX680's would kick it's ass. mmm I love ATi though......
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
October 12, 2012 7:14:00 PM

Kkkk1 said:
I have dual monitor setup at the mo and want to increase this to 3 later but at the mo I still have very decent fram rates on my HD 5970. Maybe i'll xfire two 7970's but I know two GTX680's would kick it's ass. mmm I love ATi though......

Then get a pair of 7970's and be done.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 7:24:39 PM

Just wait for the 7990.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2012 7:39:47 PM

+1 For sure trolling look at the a.k.a. ever heard of the k.k.k. if not look it up sometime racist inbreeds that wear pillow cases over their faces :pt1cable:  :lol:  :pfff: 
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:09:22 PM

nbelote said:
Just wait for the 7990.

There is a 7990 of sorts out there now, very hard to get a hold of though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

think a few other companies like VTX3D are doing the same, not so sure about the official AMD release though..

Either way I think I would still rather have 2 7970's, works out cheaper and probably performs slightly better...
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:19:24 PM

Nvidia is to ATI
as
Intel is to AMD

The first have better architecture and faster in comparison, but the second are budget oriented...

ATI is better with multiple display output
but NVIDIA is better otherwise...
October 12, 2012 8:33:52 PM

^^^ this makes no sense as AMD and Nvidia are tied currently for the title of fastest card whereas AMD is like 25 generations behind Intel for top end CPUs
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:38:38 PM

ittimjones said:
Nvidia is to ATI
as
Intel is to AMD

The first have better architecture and faster in comparison, but the second are budget oriented...

ATI is better with multiple display output
but NVIDIA is better otherwise...

:pfff:  These are the kinds of comments we come to expect from a thread with this kind of title...

Your analogy is way off, these are nothing more than opinions, I suggest keeping stuff like that to yourself. Nvidia is not better otherwise, there is a whole range of other factors to consider..
October 12, 2012 8:40:06 PM

paddys09 said:
:pfff:  These are the kinds of comments we come to expect from a thread with this kind of title...

Your analogy is way off, these are nothing more than opinions, I suggest keeping stuff like that to yourself. Nvidia is not better otherwise, there is a whole range of other factors to consider..

I'm just surprised this thread got to 10 posts before we got a good ol' fashioned troll/fanboy post :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:46:45 PM

nVidia or AMD?

Hmm...

MATROX! S3! PowerVR! 3DFX! Or wait for Broadwell!
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:47:24 PM

:lol:  its ridiculous...

The troll's I have learn't to accept, its the people that are genuinely being serious that get me...
April 16, 2013 9:28:02 AM

Actually, I did a comparison test that is sensible. I looked at both specifications and found that NVIDIA runs lower MHz while keeping about the same performance. This just means that you are going to get cooler temperatures and less overheating doing the same task. I personally both 3 graphics card. I have 5 all together. The built-in graphics card for my two computers I do not consider because it is generic and does not use that much power that I know of. However, ATI seems to draw a lot of power. I have an old generation model so you will have to forgive me. I specifically used an NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 versus a Radeon 9000. Both has been studied to give about the same result in real world ratings. However, NVIDIA includes more advance processing in their chip according to the hours of reviews that I have looked at. Anyways, the main thing is if you like it. It does not matter who is or is not better as long as it fits your need. I might like NVIDIA "for some reason" while another person ATI "for some reason". Just enjoy the conversation. I am just grateful for ideas and the company.
!