Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Gigabyte
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2012 7:43:31 PM

Hi guys,
I've got a brand new Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3x card here. On Windows the carrd is silent, no big thing. BUT: When the system boots up, the fan of the card goes up to 100% until the drivers are loaded, so until Windows is completely booted there is such a terrible noise.

Is this normal?

I can still change the card, would an Asus GTX 670 DCII (NO TOP) be more quiet?

More about : gigabyte gtx 670 windforce startup noise

Best solution

a c 578 U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 7:56:34 PM

benoki said:
... Is this normal?

I can still change the card, would an Asus GTX 670 DCII (NO TOP) be more quiet?
Yes, it's normal.

The ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II is quieter because its fans spin slower, but it runs about 5°C warmer than the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC WindForce 3X.
October 12, 2012 8:03:29 PM

So, there won't be such a loud noise when booting?

Thanks. I really begin thinking about the Idea to get a Asus instead..

I mean I'd prefer a quieter System than a loud(er) one but 5° less.
It costs 30 EUR (25 Pounds) more, but never mind.

Why didn't you told me that before I bought the Gigabyte :) 

Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:06:30 PM

benoki said:
So, there won't be such a loud noise when booting?

Thanks. I really begin thinking about the Idea to get a Asus instead..

I mean I'd prefer a quieter System than a loud(er) one but 5° less.
It costs 30 EUR (25 Pounds) more, but never mind.

Why didn't you told me that before I bought the Gigabyte :) 

Thank you.

Couldn't hear my Gigabyte WF3 (mind you these are in SLI too) during start-ups(no idea it was supposed to be "such a terrible noise"), maybe you should RMA your card first before spending more.I am running a default fan curve with afterburner enabled at start-up and the card is quiet below 50% fan, and the temp is not touching 70 even in OC.

The fans during start-up are definately not 100%, in fact I set them to 70% before and it produced way more noise when I fixed 70% fan than when they were during start-up so it is far less than 70%.

MSI PE edition would spin their fans in reverse at 100% speed during boot-up to clean dust, but Gigabyte don't have this feature.
m
l
October 12, 2012 8:28:49 PM

Ok. I tested that now. It seems to be between 50-70%.
Everything below <40% is quiet for me.
I can hear 50% really loud.

In fact I think its around 50-60%. But it's still very loud (I have a Fractal Design Arc - so not Silenced). But I don't get it why it's running at 50% anyway.

My Case has a wide opening on the side, so maybe that's the reason why I hear it and you don't.

Thanks

PS: If it helps, I can upload a sound record from my mobile from 50 and 70% to soundcloud?
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:49:30 PM

benoki said:
Ok. I tested that now. It seems to be between 50-70%.
Everything below <40% is quiet for me.
I can hear 50% really loud.

In fact I think its around 50-60%. But it's still very loud (I have a Fractal Design Arc - so not Silenced). But I don't get it why it's running at 50% anyway.

My Case has a wide opening on the side, so maybe that's the reason why I hear it and you don't.

Thanks

PS: If it helps, I can upload a sound record from my mobile from 50 and 70% to soundcloud?

Are the fan speeds, that you are quoting, with the graphics card at idle or under load?

Is your card being manually overclocked? If it is then the added stress will cause the fans to ramp up to a higher speed making the noise noticeable.

If there is an opening on the side of the case where the sound can escape then it will definitely be more noticeable.
m
l
October 12, 2012 9:16:26 PM

I've manually made those Speeds via NVidia Inspecor, Card was at Idle.

No, It's not manually overclocked.
The thing is, it just doesn't need to get high that much. I mean I am playing Battlefield 3 on Ultra with 38% Fan Speed, not noticeable. Why boot with 50% or whatever then? :/ 
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 10:28:48 PM

benoki said:
I've manually made those Speeds via NVidia Inspecor, Card was at Idle.

No, It's not manually overclocked.
The thing is, it just doesn't need to get high that much. I mean I am playing Battlefield 3 on Ultra with 38% Fan Speed, not noticeable. Why boot with 50% or whatever then? :/ 

I would have expected the fan speed to start off at around 690 RPM under automatic fan speed control.

What is GPU-Z reporting, for the card's fan speed, when set at 50%?
m
l
October 13, 2012 7:52:50 AM

Okay. Here you go:

20% Fan Speed: 810 RPM, it doesn't go to 690 RPM
50% Fan Speed: 2700 RPM

Thanks!
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:00:04 PM

Sorry for the double post, but otherwise nobody would see it, I think.

Will the Asus GTX 670 DC II (Non Top) be a high performance loss in comparison to the Gigabyte?
(Asus Core Clock : 915 Mhz, Gigabyte 980).
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 6:22:44 PM

benoki said:
Sorry for the double post, but otherwise nobody would see it, I think.

Will the Asus GTX 670 DC II (Non Top) be a high performance loss in comparison to the Gigabyte?
(Asus Core Clock : 915 Mhz, Gigabyte 980).

915 MHz indicates a reference clocked card which has generally 5% to 6% lower performance than the 980 MHz Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC.

You may be able to manually overclock the ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II GTX670-DC2-2GD5 to regain the performance.
m
l
October 13, 2012 6:54:44 PM

Do you think I would need to increase the Vcore?
And, would you mind those 5-6%?
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 7:02:00 PM

benoki said:
Do you think I would need to increase the Vcore?
And, would you mind those 5-6%?

Some reference design GTX 670 cards can overclock the GPU base clock above 1000 MHz without any manual increase to the voltage.

Each users overclock potential will be different. Always try to overclock without having to manually boost the GPU's voltage.
m
l
October 13, 2012 7:10:11 PM

Okay...so I could just go up in 10 Mhz Steps and see if it works, right? If not, I can go one step back. :) 
And does the Boost get more then automatically (based on the Core Clock)? And does it give the Boost more Voltage itself?

Thanks for your help.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 7:13:03 PM

benoki said:
Okay...so I could just go up in 10 Mhz Steps and see if it works, right? If not, I can go one step back. :) 
And does the Boost get more then automatically (based on the Core Clock)? And does it give the Boost more Voltage itself?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the boost clock is automatically incremented as you increment the base clock. The voltage is also automatically increased based on the card's designed load line calibration.
m
l
October 13, 2012 7:28:22 PM

Best answer selected by benoki.
m
l
October 13, 2012 7:28:27 PM

Thanks. I'll look if I get the ASUS then, shouldn't be a problem to get the same performance.

Thank you!
m
l
!