Sign in with
Your question

Quick question about GPU's in the $200 range

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:44:59 PM

My friend wants me to order him a GPU, he gave me about $225 to spend. From my own experience I know more about budget GPU's but I was thinking this would be the best deal for him.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Just looking for a second opinion since I'm spending his money and not my own, I'd feel real bad if I could have got him something better. Just know that it CAN NOT, cost any more than that, he says that's the absolute most he wants to spend on a GPU.

He's running a Phenom II x4 945 CPU, but he plans to upgrade it in the near future so bottle necking shouldn't really play into the decision,
and he has a 650w PSU, it's a quality unit, I already checked it out for him.

Thanks for helping him/us out :D 
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 8:46:41 PM

Oh yea, and I'm going to advise him not to OC any of his stuff, this is his first build (which is why I'm doing this for him) and he's not experienced at all.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 9:28:26 PM

nbelote said:
Get a factory overclocked card, MSI is crap:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

MSI is amazing in video cards yes they did get into trouble with the over volting thing but do you not know the 680 LIGHTING,7870 HAWK,all the power edition cards all those cards are amazing just because that arn't your prefered brand DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE CRAP!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 9:32:56 PM

also OP i believe that that is the best card around that price range also if you can catch a 660 on sale you might want to get that but it depends on what games your friend will be playing do you know what he will be playing

m
l
October 12, 2012 9:42:30 PM

The price of that card is only $20 less than the 7870 which is a good step up but the 7850 is a good choice nonetheless.

I havent owned one so take this with a grain of salt. Still using a lowely GTX460 768mb ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 10:10:29 PM

devilofdeaths said:
also OP i believe that that is the best card around that price range also if you can catch a 660 on sale you might want to get that but it depends on what games your friend will be playing do you know what he will be playing

Not sure what he plans on playing, either way I will look into a 660, if I can turn one up in the price range.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 10:12:47 PM

7870 > 660.

I'd even prefer the 7870 over the 660 Ti.
The bus bandwidth really helps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 10:15:13 PM

samuelspark said:

The bus bandwidth really helps.

I hear that's a common complaint against the 660, I'm not finding one under $230, and he's saying he won't spend $10 more. :/ 
Originally he wanted a 6850, but I convinced him to spend this much more money on a 7850 already which is why he won't spend any more.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 11:42:19 PM

"I'd feel real bad if I could have got him something better"

Prices change daily and new products are always coming out. Your choice and intent are good.
m
l
!