When "not" to use a U/V filter?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 25, 2005 12:59:39 AM

I usually shoot in bright sunlight with a lens hood and a U/V filter. Is
the U/V filter necessary with a lens hood? I don't see much danger in
damaging the lens with a large hood.

More about : filter

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:59:40 AM

In article <%MTae.78580$JL2.2937576@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:

> I usually shoot in bright sunlight with a lens hood and a U/V filter. Is
> the U/V filter necessary with a lens hood? I don't see much danger in
> damaging the lens with a large hood.

The real question is, "Is a UV filter necessary?" (HINT: The answer is
no.)
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:59:40 AM

Toomanyputters wrote:

> I usually shoot in bright sunlight with a lens hood and a U/V filter. Is
> the U/V filter necessary with a lens hood? I don't see much danger in
> damaging the lens with a large hood.

Avoid using the filter if you can. If it is blowing dust, snow, mist,
fog, etc. then it's a good idea to have it.

The rubber lens hoods can collapse if you drop the lens face down. So
some risk.

On my 'fat' lenses I leave a UV filter in place and on site I decide
whether or not to remove it (while always having the hood on. On my
50mm and 100mm lenses I never have a UV filter on at all unless there is
a lot of dust/fog/rain/mist...

Cheers,
Alan.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
April 25, 2005 12:59:40 AM

"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:
> Is the U/V filter necessary with a lens hood? I don't see much danger
> in damaging the lens with a large hood.

Depends on what you are protecting the lens from. The hood will not offer
protection from wind driven sand, dirt and water spray.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:59:40 AM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:59:39 GMT, "Toomanyputters"
<rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:

>I usually shoot in bright sunlight with a lens hood and a U/V filter. Is
>the U/V filter necessary with a lens hood? I don't see much danger in
>damaging the lens with a large hood.

Don't use it when shooting pictures with the sun anywhere near or in
the frame. Even with multicoatings, the filter introduces the
possibility of flare. The fewer the elements in those situations,
the better.
-Rich
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:05:13 AM

"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
>I usually shoot in bright sunlight with a lens hood and a U/V filter. Is
>the U/V filter necessary with a lens hood? I don't see much danger in
>damaging the lens with a large hood.

Does the UV filter pose a problem?

Craig.
April 25, 2005 2:25:27 AM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:59:39 GMT, "Toomanyputters"
<rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:

>I usually shoot in bright sunlight with a lens hood and a U/V filter. Is
>the U/V filter necessary with a lens hood? I don't see much danger in
>damaging the lens with a large hood.

Whether a UV filter is needed on a digital camera for the same reasons
as a film camera is a very debated subject. The answer IMHO is it
probably isn't. Having said that they serve to protect the lens if
nothing else.

If you use your hood virtually all the time i'd leave the filter off
personally. I have a filter on to protect the lens, that's the only
reason, and i'm too lazy to ever take it off.
April 25, 2005 5:25:02 AM

RichA wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:59:39 GMT, "Toomanyputters"
> <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:
>
>>I usually shoot in bright sunlight with a lens hood and a U/V filter. Is
>>the U/V filter necessary with a lens hood? I don't see much danger in
>>damaging the lens with a large hood.
>>

> Don't use it when shooting pictures with the sun anywhere near or in
> the frame. Even with multicoatings, the filter introduces the
> possibility of flare. The fewer the elements in those situations,
> the better.

Ditto, the more glass you have the more likely you are to have flare/loss of
contrast.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Direct sunlight can and does damage the sensor....

--
_______
Pat

!