Overheating or Insufficient Power?

netghst1

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Greetings,

I recently constructed a new PC that is giving me some strange behavior and would like to get the community's opinion to solve.

The Build:
CPU: AMD A10-5700 APU
Mobo: AsRock FM2A75M-ITX
RAM: Kingston 2x8 1600Mhz DDR3 Kit (KVR16N11K2/16)
Case: Antec ISK 110 VESA
SSD: Intel 330 80GB

So, the theme of the build was to cram as much gaming power as possible into a small, efficient, and (most importantly), cheap package for LAN party portability. So, I was definitely intrigued by AMD's Trinity platform. Now, under normal use, the system POSTs fine, and can be used for hours at a time surfing the web, watching video, etc. At first, I had some issues with random shutdowns/lock-ups, which I believe I corrected with some Arctic Silver 5.

However, last night when attempting to run the 3DMark 11 Basic graphical benchmark suite, I encountered 2 total system shutdowns during the test. It just shut itself off. And on the second one, the system refused to turn on for over an hour, and even then only after I unplugged all the external components (USB-powered DVD burner and IOGEAR USB Displaylink adapter).

Do we think this is more likely an issue with system thermals, or might it be that under peak load during the benchmark that the CPU (65 watts) is bumping up against the headroom of the PSU (90 watts)? Any insight would be helpful.