Sign in with
Your question

A Suitable upgrade from my old workhorse GTX 260

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2012 9:08:17 PM

So its finally time for me to grab a new video card and relegate my GTX 260 to my dads computer as a spare / backup.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Around Black friday + - 2 weeks depending on sales

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming most likely

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Asus EnGTX 260 216core + Antec NeoEco 620c

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (check signature)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer an non stock GPU cooler esp. the blower type.. those are loud as F.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes (somewhat, not extreme) | Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to be a substantial upgrade from my GTX260 for ~$200-230 +- $20. My trusty GTX260 is loud and hot most of the time. It wasn't the quietest when it was released but its been darn good to me over the past 4 years so it would be nice to have something that is cool and quiet. I also do not expect to max out every game out there at 1080p for the next 4 years but I want something that is worthy for that same time period. I'm fine with just playing medium settings or high settings on the most demanding games etc when they come out in the future but it wouldn't hurt to max out games every now and then :].

Right now I'm just looking at pointers to what video cards I should be looking at in the coming month and when I should pull the trigger when and if a good deal comes up. Been out of the GPU loop lately...

GTX 660? 660 ti ? 7850? 7870? bleh!
October 13, 2012 10:59:42 AM

If you don't mind looking more towards your max price, you can grab a gtx 660 for around 230-240 on newegg, they preform better than the 560ti, but costs a bit more
m
l
Related resources
a c 184 U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 11:10:15 AM

@lilotimz: All of the cards you've mentioned will be a significant upgrade from the GTX260, although the 660Ti is going to be a little over maximum budget it's the fastest mentioned. If you look towards the 660 as a solution, check the specs-the 660 is slower than the 660Ti, hence the price difference.
Do n't be too worried about fan noise, the current crop of cards in this price range are far more efficient than the GTX260, running cooler for less noise.
FYI I'm running at 1080 with a HD6950 and there's not much it can't handle at high or maximum settings.
To see how each card performs relatively take a look at the chart at the end of this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
October 13, 2012 3:50:34 PM

coozie7 said:
@lilotimz: All of the cards you've mentioned will be a significant upgrade from the GTX260, although the 660Ti is going to be a little over maximum budget it's the fastest mentioned. If you look towards the 660 as a solution, check the specs-the 660 is slower than the 660Ti, hence the price difference.
Do n't be too worried about fan noise, the current crop of cards in this price range are far more efficient than the GTX260, running cooler for less noise.
FYI I'm running at 1080 with a HD6950 and there's not much it can't handle at high or maximum settings.
To see how each card performs relatively take a look at the chart at the end of this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

a 660ti will be better than 560ti i.e his budget.
m
l
October 13, 2012 7:02:28 PM

I see i see.

I suppose the 660ti / 7950 is going to be my stretch budget (if they come down below $250-260 during sales). I've also read up about the 660ti and it seems that the memory bus is a severe limiting factor in that card and that it's not worth it.

On the other hand, the 660 and 7870 seems to be trading blows and is within my target area... the 7850 hmm...

Also did i mention i found me a newegg gift card for $13? :]

Anyways... I guess I'll be looking for deals on either the GTX 660 and 7870 and seeing if the 660ti or whatever high end card drops massively in price.

Mmmhhhh...
m
l
a c 184 U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 12:18:57 PM

Check the feedback.
There seem to be issues with DOA cards and some have needed to flash their motherboard BIOS to get it to work.
I'd look elsewhere.
m
l
!