Unconventional build request

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I run a video production business in Staten Island, NY. I lost my entire business (along with half of my house and my car) due to Hurricane Sandy. In my business, I dealt with customer's old videos, pictures, and audio and transferring them to more modern formats. I had over $80,000 worth of equipment accumulated over 30 years and I am trying to rebuild but with lack of support from FEMA, SBA, and the insurance companies, I will have to start from the bottom up.

I know how to build computers but I just cannot afford to purchase new parts right now. I will have to purchase used or old parts from where ever I'm able to. My problem is I'm not sure which parts are compatible with each other and can do what I need. I don't care if it's out of date or slower. I don't mind buying a used computer from a thrift shop or some place but my problem is I can't test the computers and make sure it's what I need and they don't take refunds.

The unconventional part.... I can only afford to spend about $50.

My priority is three things:
It can scan in pictures and slides from a high end photo/negative/slide scanner. I scan at 1200 dpi.
It can print to a high end photo printer (canon photo pixma 9000 mark 2) without loss in quality.
It can handle photo correction through Adobe Photoshop.

I'm sure it's too much to ask for but if I can get a computer that can also handle video editing with Pinnacle Studio, that would be amazing.

I don't need a monitor, mouse or keyboard. I could care less if there's no sound card. I already have a 20GB IDE HDD and I can install whatever OS needs to be installed. I prefer XP but I'm fine if I can't use it.

I know the chances of me being able to get a computer this cheap is slim but the people of this site are the best and if someone can help me, it will be from here.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice!

Ian

forr3zt

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I'm sorry man, but buying used of craigslist or from a thrift shop are going to be your only option with that budget. I would try asking family members if they have any spare computers, and taking the best out of what ever you come up with, and go with that.
Good Luck!

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
forr3zt,

I understand but I was hoping it would be possible.

I just found a brand new Asus V9520 Geforce FX 5200 series video card for a dollar. That takes care of my GPU.

I came across the following on e-bay

CPU: Intel Celeron 900 2.20GHz 1MB/800MHz CPU SLGLQ $1.97

MOBO: HP 335186-001 Socket 478 Desktop PC System Board Motherboard $15

RAM: HYNIX HMT112U7AFP8C-H9T0 1GB RAM 1R*8 PC3-10600E DDR3 DESKTOP MEMORY $5.50

Power Supply: Pixxo PL-500W Power Supply, Model PL-500RPF $10.00

I can get thermal paste for a dollar and any fans I need for a dollar each.

Are those components I found compatible with each other? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks again for your help and advice!

forr3zt

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
You would need an HP case because OEM motheboards are usually not of the ATX, EATX or mATX form factor. 2 more things to consider are the OS, unless you are running linux, and the power supply. That is not a good model, and it it goes, it will take the rest of your system with it. I just did some research, and came back with 2 more problems.
1. your cpu appears to be a laptop model, so unless you are 100% POSITIVE that it is a desktop processor i would try and find an AMD Athalon.
2. you would need a cpu cooler