Closed

NVIDIA 660 TI vs AMD 7950 [RENDERING]

Hello Toms Hardware Community,

I Am Soon Building My New Gaming?/Video Editing Rig....
And i Need to Decide My Graphic Card Either The AMD 7950 or The 660 TI
But i want To Know If the 660 Ti is better at Rendering....
or does the AMD cards Support GPU accelaration in Sony Vegas
I want a card that can game as well as support GPU rendering
and also Can Someone Tell Me the Speed of CPU vs GPU rendering
And also if the 7950 supports GPU Rendering the difference between it and the 660 TI in rendering in Sony Vegas

Also Please Help me too choose 1 card.... :D

Im Really Confused....

:pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:


~Thanks :) :D :D :D :D :D
14 answers Last reply
More about nvidia 7950 rendering
  1. Welcome to Tom's Hardware. :)

    The 660ti is better in rendering, FSAA and anisotropic filtering than 7770. The 660ti is the best and can help you play latest games too. And for rendering in sony vegas, go for an i7 990x and see to it that u have atleaset 8GB ddr3 1600Mhz ram. Buy a PSU which is 80plus certified, go for maybe gigabyte or coolermaster, other companies are useless.

    If you need more help, PM me.
    Cheers, take care :D
  2. meghrajbaria said:
    Welcome to Tom's Hardware. :)

    The 660ti is better in rendering, FSAA and anisotropic filtering than 7770. The 660ti is the best and can help you play latest games too. And for rendering in sony vegas, go for an i7 990x and see to it that u have atleaset 8GB ddr3 1600Mhz ram. Buy a PSU which is 80plus certified, go for maybe gigabyte or coolermaster, other companies are useless.

    If you need more help, PM me.
    Cheers, take care :D


    Hello i am talking about the 7950 not the 7770

    Thank You for your quick answer
  3. Also Here is the Config i Am Getting

    i7 2600k
    Corsair GS700
    8GB 1600 MHZ RAM
    120GB Corsair Force GT SSD
    1 TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    GPU : Not Decided
  4. Go with the 7950. I'm something of an Nvidia fanboy, mostly because I dislike Radeon's numbering system (Yes, I know, dumb reason, but I'm not much of a fanboy.)

    Anyways, the reason to go Nvidia is for perks, not for power - I'll never deny that Radeon has the value to price award... making it way better for rendering.

    The other thing is that the 660ti is held back somewhat by its reduced memory bus bandwidth - when using high resolutions, high levels of AA, or doing VRAM intensive actions such as rendering, this really holds it back.
  5. GPU acceleration
    Vegas Pro™ 12 leverages the processing capabilities of modern GPUs (Graphic Processing Units) using the industry-standard OpenCL™ framework.

    so i believe this would be an appropriate benchmark, though there are others for openCL:


    i would say the 7950 without a doubt games better also . . .
    GeForce GTX 660 Ti Review: Nvidia's Trickle-Down Keplernomics
  6. @DarkSable Thank You But Read my reply to Iooniam


    @looniam
    But im talking about nvidia's cuda vs amd opencl rendering
    the above picture shows the 660 TI in OpenCl

    Also does the 7950 support gpu accelaration(Can i use it to render my videos faster than the 660 TI)

    What Formats does the 7950 support rendering in?

    Sorry but im a noob and i need to decide :??:

    Thanks for the quick reply :D
  7. The 7950 should beat the 660Ti in rendering, with only programs that can only use CUDA (not many) favoring the nVidia card. Kepler is crippled in terms of GPU computing - it can't do either OpenCL or CUDA as fast as the previous generation could.
  8. Someone Somewhere said:
    The 7950 should beat the 660Ti in rendering, with only programs that can only use CUDA (not many) favoring the nVidia card. Kepler is crippled in terms of GPU computing - it can't do either OpenCL or CUDA as fast as the previous generation could.

    So you mean the 7950 can render faster than the 660 ti while the 660 Ti is using CUDA in Sony Vegas?
  9. Sony Vegas 12 supports OpenCL rendering, therefore the 660ti is going to get crushed by the HD7950 as the 79x0 series have fantastic compute performance
  10. @kitsunestarwin
    So you mean to say that the 7950 renders better and faster when the 660 TI is using CUDA ?
    And also what formats does it support?

    Also are there any benches showing this ? sorry because i need to be really sure .... :D
  11. Nikshep said:
    @kitsunestarwin
    So you mean to say that the 7950 renders better and faster when the 660 TI is using CUDA ?
    And also what formats does it support?

    Also are there any benches showing this ? sorry because i need to be really sure .... :D

    go cruise the forums at sony vegas:
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4

    after a little reading it appears to be hit or miss with what gpu and drivers for a nvidia card. there are few posts showing rendering time increasing whereas others have had substantial gains. ( you are asking a general hardware forum about a specific software, you will find better answers on that software's forum)

    now as far as kepler's cuda supposedly not being as good as previous generations, well it seems to work just fine with adobe premiere pro's mercury playback engine:

    http://ppbm5.com/MPE%20Charts.php

    as far as openCL vs cuda for vegas pro, again it is hit or miss depending on the user's hardware and driver version. - again GO TO THAT FORUM!

    sorry i couldn't give you the answer you are looking for :(
  12. Anonymous said:
    go cruise the forums at sony vegas:
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4

    after a little reading it appears to be hit or miss with what gpu and drivers for a nvidia card. there are few posts showing rendering time increasing whereas others have had substantial gains. ( you are asking a general hardware forum about a specific software, you will find better answers on that software's forum)

    now as far as kepler's cuda supposedly not being as good as previous generations, well it seems to work just fine with adobe premiere pro's mercury playback engine:

    as far as openCL vs cuda for vegas pro, again it is hit or miss depending on the user's hardware and driver version. - again GO TO THAT FORUM!

    sorry i couldn't give you the answer you are looking for :(


    What do you mean by hit or miss and how does it compare with AMD?
    Thanks Again for the quick reply
  13. bump
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Rendering AMD GPUs Graphics