Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] Computer restarts instead of shut off

Last response: in Windows 7
February 25, 2012 7:10:56 PM

Just as the thread says "Computer restarts instead of shut off. This happens after Windows 7 upgrade Can someone please help me???
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 7:16:57 PM

Hi :) 

Specs ?

All the best Brett :) 
February 26, 2012 5:29:37 AM

The shutdown problem is the only one that I have Brett. So I believe that it has to be in the config, but where???
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2012 6:44:29 AM

RichieB_30 said:
This happens after Windows 7 upgrade
The restart is a necessary part of the upgrade process.
After you've completed the upgrade install process the shutdown option should be 'back to normal'.
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2012 6:46:10 AM

Any reason you marked or titled your topic as [Solved]?
February 26, 2012 8:10:30 AM

I didn't mark it as solved. It just popped up and I can't seem to get rid of it. Sorry.
Also I do know about the upgrade process requirement of restarting. The upgrade process is done. My PC will not shut down without holding the power button.
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2012 9:18:42 AM

There maybe some hardware device that doesn't have permission to let Windows shut it down.
Leading candidates might be the Firewire/IEEE1394 or USB controllers.
From the Start menu, use the search bar at the bottom and type in device.
And choose Device Manager from the list of options.
Find the Firewire and USB host controller entries and open the category (the little triangle). to get the list of devices,
Double click on the device and make sure the box is checked that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device"
February 26, 2012 11:09:43 AM

No firewire/IEEE1394 found, however I went through all the USB controllers and they all are set to let Windows shut them down. Any other suggestions???
!