Can the electricity from the audio cable damage the GPU ?

teetach27894

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Hello everyone, I got the nvidia gtx 680.
I plugged in the audio jack to the back of the case and there was a sound ( some kind of static sound that come out from a speaker ) which usually it does occur but this time it's louder than before, then the screen went black for a couple seconds and came back normally which i haven't had this issue before. I think it's caused by the electricity in the cable going into the motherboard. Did i just damage the gpu? or it's fine. Im kind of nervous now, Thanks

meghrajbaria

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hey, welcome to Tom's Hardware.

It can be due to your PSU or your mobo. And the audiojack problem is no serious and this kinda things doesn't damage a BEAST liek gtx 680. I'd recommend you to go to the place from where u bought the card or a local computer technician rather than following instructions on a website with no practical demonstration.

Hope u find gaming freaking interesting ;)
Take care.

teetach27894

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for a quick reply.

I've done the metro 2033 benchmark with veryhigh preset 1920x1080 4xMSAA 16xAF directx 11 with DoF on but disable the advance phys. i got the average fps about 31 which seems to be normal.
Is that the way to check it? or there's another way?
Since this is my first PC, im feeling so worry, just changed from a gaming laptop. I need many advise, and I don't know how to deal with a desktop gpu.

Sorry for my bad english. Thanks again...

meghrajbaria

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
31 at 1920x1800 with 4xMSAA and 16XAF with directx 11 if very good perfomance. I'd recommend you to go to the local electronic stores rather than the company cuz theses small guys ve good knowledge on how to fix problems for cheap. I do the same and saved me lots of $. If you want to reduce the load on ur GPU , try turning of MSAA and AF. It might look bit scrappy but will help increase the life span of your GPU. Most people run on high that causes it to burn eventually.

Take care :)