Sign in with
Your question

Could bad psu damage gpus?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2012 8:51:07 AM

Dear community

1 month ago my beloved GPU 4870 started having problems, so i decided to buy a brand new 7870. However, after 3 days, the brand new 7870 faded over too.

Could it be that the problem is on the PSU which damages the vgas?

thanks

More about : bad psu damage gpus

October 13, 2012 9:28:14 AM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware :) 

See, it depends on your PSU. If it is above 550w and a 80plus certified, you are just fine to go. If u have less, u can fry your mobo and PSU can blast. So, check out the requirements of the graphics card you like on its respective site. Also, please post full specs of your PC so it can be easy to recommend what will be the best for you and what is it that is causing the problem. Mention the following things in your specs:
- Processor
- Ram
- GPU
- PSU
- Resolution

Take care. :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 9:52:57 AM

yes it can

but much info is needed to know
Related resources
October 13, 2012 9:55:26 AM

thanks for the reply

my specs:

mb ASUS P5P
CPU Q6600@3.1
GPU OLD: radeon4870 (damaged)
gpu new GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD (damaged too)
psu 600W don't remember brand
ram 4gb DDR2 don't remember brand

for 4 years the system was fine, with 4870 taxing the psu with more than twice the watts than the brand new gigabyte 7850, so on theory the psu shouldn't be the problem. Unless it is damaged..?
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 10:09:42 AM

PSUs degrade over time. If you started off with a garbage PSU, it is even more garbage now. What is the brand name, if you dont remember, that isnt a good sign. Usually.
October 13, 2012 10:14:01 AM

^^ +1

If you don't remember/know the brand of your PSU, there's a very high probability that your PSU is crap
October 13, 2012 10:44:29 AM

the PSU was quite pricey and is very silent, so not crap..
so any ideas ?

October 13, 2012 10:55:29 AM

only way to confirm that the PSU is not crap is to give us make/model

Price/noise levels doesn't really have a bearing on what is crap and what isn't (you could argue that price does but there is still some shiny expensive crap out there)
October 13, 2012 3:53:59 PM

Turn of your PC and check the brand / make of your PSU. If it is of GIGABYTE, COOLERMATER, etc.. it is ok but any company other than these, it is a piece of wasted crap.
October 13, 2012 3:57:15 PM

meghrajbaria said:
Turn of your PC and check the brand / make of your PSU. If it is of GIGABYTE, COOLERMATER, etc.. it is ok but any company other than these, it is a piece of wasted crap.

:heink: 

Huh??? Gigabyte hasn't made power supplies in a while, coolermaster has a bunch of crap PSUs out there, and the best PSU companies are Corsair/Seasonic, so I really don't understand that post.
October 13, 2012 4:06:38 PM

If u want cheap one to work perfectly, it is coolermaster. i use power 600w coolermaster with gtx 550ti 1gb ddr5 msi , 8 gigs ram DDR3 1600Mhz , FX 4100 3.60Ghz overclocked to 4.20Ghz
October 13, 2012 5:58:20 PM

If it interests you, a long time ago I had a power out in my town while I was playing Battlefield 2. Long story short is that when I turned on my computer after the power out I found my 9800 GTX was fried or atleast dead and I was out of a Warranty.

My father's guess is that the power out caused a surge(spike in voltage) and that's what killed my GPU.

Makes me regret not spending more on a better PSU. Don't make my mistake and burn a $300 GPU in the process.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 8:25:10 PM

So you are given the most likely culprit of your issues and you blow it off cause it was expensive and is silent? What kinda thought process is that?
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 8:29:03 PM

laspi said:
the PSU was quite pricey and is very silent, so not crap..
so any ideas ?

This doesnt tell us anything just because its slient doesnt mean anything..Kinda funny people trying to help u out with your problem but you wont give a answer which is why people think you have a garbage psu..Look inside the tower and let us know the name
a c 540 U Graphics card
October 13, 2012 9:36:18 PM

Any power supply that produces a high amount of ripple on the +12V rail(s) will eventually destroy the electrolytic capacitors in the VRMs of the motherboard and graphics card(s).

You should have invested in a UPS or high quality surge protector, to plug your computer into, if you want it protected.

Some power supplies don't even have a MOV, on their AC input, to provide at least some minimal voltage spike suppression.
!