Sign in with
Your question

First PC build help appreciated

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2012 1:09:28 AM

Looking for a solid system that will last a long time, max the latest games, and general school work. Budget under 1400. I put this together after some research any suggestions appreciated!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($454.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1274.36
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-03 22:06 EST-0500)

More about : build appreciated

December 4, 2012 1:18:28 AM

Very nice! Ive had alot of good experiences with the as rock extreme 4 atx its cheaper so maybe you should upgrade to that
December 4, 2012 2:13:21 AM

Everything looks good to me, except for the SSD.
Intel 330 uses a SandForce controller which has efficiency issues especially with incompressible data.

Please consider non-SandForce based drives such as the Vertex 4, Crucial M4, or Samsung 830/840 pro.
Related resources
December 6, 2012 7:07:42 AM

excella1221 said:
Everything looks good to me, except for the SSD.
Intel 330 uses a SandForce controller which has efficiency issues especially with incompressible data.

Please consider non-SandForce based drives such as the Vertex 4, Crucial M4, or Samsung 830/840 pro.

Actually - Samsung 840 uses TLC NAND which is very unstable, it's less durable than MLC 2x nm NAND, and it also has an - unproven firmware
Samsung 830 on the other hand is overall a good drive for speed and reliability, it has the highest write speeds but the write amplification is not that great . Intel 330 on the other hand has Sandforce controller, which may not be great with un compressed data but in real world scenerios - it performs very optimally, and because of its lower write amplification has higher longevity
December 6, 2012 11:45:05 AM

Actually, if you read my post more carefully, it says "840 Pro", so yeah.

SandForce-based SSDs have HIGH possibilities of causing BSOD on your computer - that is a real world scenario.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5508/intel-ssd-520-review...

And I quote:
Quote:
As luck would have it, our own Brian Klug happened to come across an unexpected crash with his 240GB non-Intel SF-2281 based SSD two weeks ago when he migrated it to another machine. The crash was an F4 BSOD, similar in nature to the infamous BSOD issue from last year. While two of the systems we reproduced the BSOD bug on were cured by last year's firmware update, Brian's system (an X58/Core i7 build) was BSODing regularly playing Battlefield 3. Games end up being a great way to trigger the SF-2281 BSOD issue as they frequently switch between periods of idle and load, which does a good job of stressing the power state logic in SandForce's firmware. I immediately sent Brian an Intel SSD 520 to see if the BSOD remained on Intel's drive. Switching to Cherryville caused Brian's BSODs to go away. Indeed most end user reports of SF-2281 BSODs went away with the fixed firmware, but we've still heard of isolated issues that remain unresolved.

Only the Intel 520 is the only SandForce exception, it has been proven to have lesser potential to cause BSOD, but it's still prone to the issue with incompressible data, which is ALSO a real world scenario if ever you work with them.

All that said, I don't see any point AT ALL in investing on a SandForce-based SSD only to risk experiencing all that and have inferior performance with incompressible data when non-SandForce controller SSDs like Marvell are just right there in the corner.

Really, lose the blind faith. We get it - you enjoy your Intel 520 and you don't experience any problems with it(or do you?), good for you.
!