Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

660 or 660ti?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 13, 2012 1:00:42 PM

Hey I was just wondering if the 660 ti was better enough than the 660 so that it is worth the $50-ish more. if I was going to get the 660 ti i would get the Msi pe/oc, and if i was going to get the 660 i would either get the EVGA superclocked or the Msi tf oc. Opinions?

More about : 660 660ti

October 13, 2012 1:03:38 PM

It either goes both ways, both are decent cards, even with the cut down memory bandwidth. Just remember, as soon as you turn on some AA or play on higher RES, that 660ti will struggle a little bit.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

I wouldn't recommend to get either the 660ti/670 PE from MSI :
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

Although the cut down bandwidth can be mitigated by overclocking the memory clocks.


m
0
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
October 13, 2012 2:18:19 PM

I would get the best that you can afford, when the 2 cards have the same level of price/performance.

I would recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
Related resources
October 13, 2012 3:15:10 PM

Well they are both good cards but if you can afford a GTX 660 Ti why don't you just buy a HD 7950 instead?

This HD 7950 is faster than a GTX 660 Ti and also has much more overclocking headroom.It also takes a much smaller FPS hit when you turn on AA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's pretty much the card to get in the 300$ price range.

Or if you don't want to spend that much just buy a HD 7870.
Performance wise it sits between the GTX 660 and the GTX 660 Ti, but it's price is the same as that of the GTX 660.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is a overclocked version of the HD 7870 which means it's pretty much as fast as a GTX 660 Ti.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 10:19:50 PM

Kamen_BG said:
Well they are both good cards but if you can afford a GTX 660 Ti why don't you just buy a HD 7950 instead?

This HD 7950 is faster than a GTX 660 Ti and also has much more overclocking headroom.It also takes a much smaller FPS hit when you turn on AA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's pretty much the card to get in the 300$ price range.

Or if you don't want to spend that much just buy a HD 7870.
Performance wise it sits between the GTX 660 and the GTX 660 Ti, but it's price is the same as that of the GTX 660.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is a overclocked version of the HD 7870 which means it's pretty much as fast as a GTX 660 Ti.


That was what i was looking at previously but even though they may be more or equally fast i feel that nvidia is a more reliable/better company than AMD.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 10:22:20 PM

JJ1217 said:
It either goes both ways, both are decent cards, even with the cut down memory bandwidth. Just remember, as soon as you turn on some AA or play on higher RES, that 660ti will struggle a little bit.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

I wouldn't recommend to get either the 660ti/670 PE from MSI :
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

Although the cut down bandwidth can be mitigated by overclocking the memory clocks.


Maybe but i have looked at the cards and gotten very good reviews for the cards. also, if they were cheating they would be recalled, right?

FYI i was talking about the 660 ti and the 660, not the 670.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 10:22:48 PM

Best answer selected by olijng7.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 10:32:37 PM

olijng7 said:
Maybe but i have looked at the cards and gotten very good reviews for the cards. also, if they were cheating they would be recalled, right?

FYI i was talking about the 660 ti and the 660, not the 670.


The 660ti is also effected by this mate...

Also, its not that they are cheating, it means the components are going to die MUCH faster and be prone to just plain old faultiness. If you go for the Asus one, you shouldn't have a problem, the only issue is the 192 bit bus, which will create problems when AA is turned on, and may actually turn into butter in the future. The card has so much potential, but doesn't have the right things in it to make it work in its full potention -- why the 670 is a much better choice, if you had the money for it.

Really I would be going for a 7950, which a superb overclocking headroom, but whatever, it is your choice.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 11:15:59 PM

believe me when i say that i would absolutely go for the 670, that is if i had the money. Why do you say asus? i looked at some benchmarks and it seemed that the Msi and Gigabyte versions were on top. what do you think about the Gigabyte version? do you still stick with the asus?
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 11:24:27 PM

I assumed you would go for the asus one because the person you selected as best answer had that in his answer -.-

I really don't know much about the Gigabyte 660ti, other than Windforce coolers are quite loud.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 14, 2012 12:02:16 AM

I don't know much about the gigabyte, but to be honest it's a pretty good choice (performance wise and price wise). Although I heard it's a bit loud. But It looks ugly! (Well atleast to me :) ). The MSI one I have heard about that 'overvoltage' thingy, so eventhough few people complain about it, you'd better stay away. So I would stay with the ASUS...

Personally before this overvoltage problem, I would recommend any MSI card straight away. But since it exists, no more, except their non-power/hawk/lightning edition or AMD cards.

But if you think that it's not a problem, go give a MSI a go :) .
m
0
l
October 14, 2012 1:31:29 AM

refillable said:
I don't know much about the gigabyte, but to be honest it's a pretty good choice (performance wise and price wise). Although I heard it's a bit loud. But It looks ugly! (Well atleast to me :) ). The MSI one I have heard about that 'overvoltage' thingy, so eventhough few people complain about it, you'd better stay away. So I would stay with the ASUS...

Personally before this overvoltage problem, I would recommend any MSI card straight away. But since it exists, no more, except their non-power/hawk/lightning edition or AMD cards.

But if you think that it's not a problem, go give a MSI a go :) .

I agree! The gigabyte card does look bad. I think that I'm just going to get the Msi and bet a warranty on it if that would help, although i may not. Im not in favor of the ASUS card, but ill put it into consideration. Oh and if anyone needed a up of my build, here it is:

Core i5 3570k
ASRock extreme4 z77
Samsung 128gb ssd
Thermaltake SMART 750W psu
Corisair Vengeance 8gb 1600
1TB hdd
m
0
l
October 14, 2012 1:35:40 AM

The only problem that i have with the asus model is that its a little bulky. I only have a mid atx tower and i plan on sli-ing in the years to come. Ill see what happens
m
0
l
October 14, 2012 1:36:21 AM

Looks good, but I would get a better branded PSU, thermaltake make worse psu's than non branded ones.

I also would slightly downgrade the PSU, if you are getting a 660ti you wouldn't even need 500W of power. Maybe get a CX600 to be safe, and save yourself a few bucks. Also you should get a CPU cooler soon -- get a good overclock going on the CPU.
m
0
l
October 14, 2012 3:50:16 AM

JJ1217 said:
Looks good, but I would get a better branded PSU, thermaltake make worse psu's than non branded ones.

I also would slightly downgrade the PSU, if you are getting a 660ti you wouldn't even need 500W of power. Maybe get a CX600 to be safe, and save yourself a few bucks. Also you should get a CPU cooler soon -- get a good overclock going on the CPU.

I think my psu will be fine, and also I got a 750W because i will probably SLI sometime. I may get a cpu cooler a little after i get my card.
m
0
l
!