FireWire 800 and Win XP SP2

Here's a heads up Microsoft... have you been able to verify this problem?

Is it true that Windows XP SP2 limits FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b) to 100Mb/s?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17794
-According to Matthias Carstens at RME [http://www.rme-audio.com/],
reinstall FireWire drivers from the old SP1 and everything works again.

I must like responding to my own messages, or maybe nobody else has any
answers... :)

In regard to the problem of Win XP SP2 limiting FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b)
devices to 100Mb/s, the following is an excerpt from
"ReadMeFW800SP2.pdf" which is available from LaCie [http://
www.lacie.com/support/drivers/] -

"Q: Why do I need to update my FireWire 800 drive to use with Windows XP
SP2?
A: Microsoft has made changes and improvements to the FireWire drivers
built into Windows XP. This is for improved compatibility, stability, and data
integrity. The firmware update is necessary for best performance and proper
operation.
If the firmware is not updated, the driver performance will be severely
reduced. The update restores proper interface speed and performance."

Most FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b) PCI adapter cards will need to have the
firmware updated to allow 800Mb/s under Windows XP SP2. Check with the
manufacturer of your FireWire 800 adapter for the latest firmware and
drivers.

Brandon Moses

PS -
There are companies out there, as is the case with RME Audio, who relied on
the default FireWire 800 drivers included with the Microsoft Windows XP
operating system. Before XP SP2, the default FireWire 800 drivers supported
transfer rates at 800Mb/s. Now companies may need to write FireWire 800
drivers, rather than rely on the default, to obtain transfer rates at 800Mb/s.

....Microsoft would like to remind those companies to submit their drivers to
the Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) to be digitally signed and
tested.

:)