New installation problem Philips CDR-RW

viewbr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Philips E118405
CDD 4801-33
CD-R/RW 8x4x32

Does anyone have an Idea? I have a CD-RW that a friend bought on an online auction it claims to be a Phillips model OEM. He attempted to install it without success so now it is my turn.
After installation and inserting a variety of disks as a test, the CD-RW locks up and the read light blinks continuous, a reboot is then necessary.

I installed it on the secondary IDE channel as master and used auto detect in the bios, I tried all of the other combinations (jumper to slave and auto) with the same result.

In the device manager it is correctly Identified and functions, I unchecked Auto insert notification, Disconnect is the only check box checked.

I was unable to find any particular match for this CDR-RW at the Philips web site, thou I wasted more than an hour searching there.

If any one has ideas please get me to the next step..
Thx...Patrick

Lampekap

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2001
I think I know what is going on but first you have to check
something:
When the leds start blinking continuously ( and if I 'm correct ) you should be able to see a pattern in it.
First the leds blink very fast, after that 20 blinks follow ( either short or long ones ). This is the pattern. It is repeated continuously.

Tell me if you see it.
Greetz

viewbr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
No the blinking of the light is continuous non stop.
I will try it on another of my computers if it does not work, it must be dead? thanks for the possibility..

Lampekap

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2001
Well, don't throw it away yet.
I understood you can still boot your pc with the drive installed ?
Then you can always try a firmware update.
Have a look at http://www.disc4you.de/kompendien/cd/firmware.html
As you have an 8x4x32x drive, you should look for
cdd 3801 or the cdd 4801. Both are 8x drives made by philips
but have different chipsets.
If you do not know which one it is, try the cdd 3801. That one sold most I think.
no garanties though, if you flash the wrong firmware your drive may be screwed !

Greetz

( its written on the box or maybe in the inquiry string ( open control panel - system
- device manager - cd rom drives ))

viewbr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Hummmmmm.. good idea
I´ll see if it can be traded or warrantied..if not I will try the flash, might get bored and try the flash anyway..
Thanks for the idea!!

JP_MIGRAINE

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
i had the same prob awhile back, i have a philips 800 series 8-4-32 i also had the blinking light going and would freeze up.. i unistalled it and then reinstalled it, and used a different kind of cdrw disc and it worked fine after that.. you may have to give the drive time to read the data on the disc, it will blink while it is reading the data and will remain lit when it is ready for use..
hope that helped.. good luck..