Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Turns on for a second, then system shutdown

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2012 4:39:00 AM

So,
Recently I bought new parts for my pc, as I didn't like some of my old parts.
New motherboard (MSI Z77A-G45 Intel 7 Series Motherboard), CPU (Intel Core i5-3570K BX806237i53570K) , videocard (XFX FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 DoubleD Black Edition Video Card - 1024MB) , and PSU (Raidmax RX-630Z). I kept the same case. (NZXT Classic Series M59)
So I put everything together and booted my pc up. Worked, I went and installed some updates for Windows 7, restarted, checked everything, and then turned it off and left it there till the next day.
Next Day:
Come home from school, turn computer on, go do something, come back, computer is off. :heink:  Tried pressing power button again. Didn't work.
Now the only way I can get the thing to do something is to turn the PSU off then turn it back on, but all this does is turn it on for a tiny bit. When the CPU fan starts to spin, everything stops. Took video card out, same thing. Moved RAM around, same thing. I switched to old CPU, same thing. Switched to old PSU, same thing. Ran everything on top a thick flat sheet of cardboard (everything out of the case), same thing. Get it? :fou: 
Please help.
Thanks

List of parts again:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K BX806237i53570K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Intel 7 Series Motherboard
PSU: Raidmax RX-630Z (630W)
Videocard: XFX FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 DoubleD Black Edition Video Card - 1024MB
Case: NZXT Classic Series M59

If you need more specs, ask me.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 4, 2012 11:22:38 AM

Try just one stick of ram in each slot with the onboard video. You may have a short in the motherboard or bad ram slots. If you can't fix it, start by rmaing the motherboard to msi. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get a replacement board. You send the bare board only (keep all the accessories). I use a shipping label with the rma number on the label or written clearly below it in the lower left hand corner. It takes about 24 hours for msi to issue a rma number when you request it on their website. Handle the board with care; they may scope it looking for any damage including scratches and void the rma if they find any surface damage. I use priority mail with no insurance or you can get a return receipt for them to sign. Never had an issue getting a new board; when you request the rma, just say the board won't post. No other info is necessary.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2012 1:04:24 PM

Raidmax is not known for quality PSU's, I would guess that it could be causing your issue. The description of the issue sounds like a PSU problem, your labeled wattage is fine but the raidmax probably is not hitting it (or the rail voltage), get a PSU from a decent maker (corsair, antec, etc...).
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2012 1:55:39 PM

chugot9218 said:
Raidmax is not known for quality PSU's, I would guess that it could be causing your issue. The description of the issue sounds like a PSU problem, your labeled wattage is fine but the raidmax probably is not hitting it (or the rail voltage), get a PSU from a decent maker (corsair, antec, etc...).

Well, this may be possible, but I tried my other PSU (some Orion one, still working last time I checked) and thit still had the same problem.
m
l
December 4, 2012 1:57:01 PM

Is it possible that the contacts on the motherboard for the cpu is fried or messed up that would cause this problem?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2012 2:10:09 PM

Well, because you tried another PSU, I would say it may not be the issue, butttttt.... that is a junk PSU too lol so I don't think you can completely rule it out. Could be a MOBO issue then, you could have an issue with the contacts but I don't think you would have gotten as far as you did in the first place.
m
l
December 4, 2012 5:58:21 PM

chugot9218 said:
Well, because you tried another PSU, I would say it may not be the issue, butttttt.... that is a junk PSU too lol so I don't think you can completely rule it out. Could be a MOBO issue then, you could have an issue with the contacts but I don't think you would have gotten as far as you did in the first place.

Will Check some more when I get home. Thanks for the feedback
m
l
December 4, 2012 10:23:26 PM

Does knowing that my CPU was making a burning smell before this happened help? I fixed the smell problem, but I think it either killed the CPU or motherboard's contacts for the CPU. Am I right? :??: 
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2012 12:33:49 PM

Well, if it was actually your CPU it definitely could have contributed. I would still point to a problem caused by the PSU, it sounds like it might have damaged something, and unfortunately, those problems are pretty hard to diagnose, a lot of people simply start buying and switching out parts in the hopes of fixing it.
December 5, 2012 1:10:23 PM

chugot9218 said:
Well, if it was actually your CPU it definitely could have contributed. I would still point to a problem caused by the PSU, it sounds like it might have damaged something, and unfortunately, those problems are pretty hard to diagnose, a lot of people simply start buying and switching out parts in the hopes of fixing it.

And that is exactly what I am doing.
Hopefully, new parts will fix the problem. :ange: 
m
l
December 6, 2012 5:01:50 AM

And it was a mobo problem!
I got a new mobo (same one) and it just booted up!
Thank goodness! :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2012 12:22:50 PM

Glad to hear you got it on your first try.
m
l
December 6, 2012 1:33:37 PM

Best answer selected by dovaspike.
m
l
!