Computer Turns on for a second, then system shutdown

dovaspike

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
So,
Recently I bought new parts for my pc, as I didn't like some of my old parts.
New motherboard (MSI Z77A-G45 Intel 7 Series Motherboard), CPU (Intel Core i5-3570K BX806237i53570K) , videocard (XFX FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 DoubleD Black Edition Video Card - 1024MB) , and PSU (Raidmax RX-630Z). I kept the same case. (NZXT Classic Series M59)
So I put everything together and booted my pc up. Worked, I went and installed some updates for Windows 7, restarted, checked everything, and then turned it off and left it there till the next day.
Next Day:
Come home from school, turn computer on, go do something, come back, computer is off. :heink: Tried pressing power button again. Didn't work.
Now the only way I can get the thing to do something is to turn the PSU off then turn it back on, but all this does is turn it on for a tiny bit. When the CPU fan starts to spin, everything stops. Took video card out, same thing. Moved RAM around, same thing. I switched to old CPU, same thing. Switched to old PSU, same thing. Ran everything on top a thick flat sheet of cardboard (everything out of the case), same thing. Get it? :fou:
Please help.
Thanks

List of parts again:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K BX806237i53570K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Intel 7 Series Motherboard
PSU: Raidmax RX-630Z (630W)
Videocard: XFX FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 DoubleD Black Edition Video Card - 1024MB
Case: NZXT Classic Series M59

If you need more specs, ask me.

Solution
Well, if it was actually your CPU it definitely could have contributed. I would still point to a problem caused by the PSU, it sounds like it might have damaged something, and unfortunately, those problems are pretty hard to diagnose, a lot of people simply start buying and switching out parts in the hopes of fixing it.
Try just one stick of ram in each slot with the onboard video. You may have a short in the motherboard or bad ram slots. If you can't fix it, start by rmaing the motherboard to msi. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get a replacement board. You send the bare board only (keep all the accessories). I use a shipping label with the rma number on the label or written clearly below it in the lower left hand corner. It takes about 24 hours for msi to issue a rma number when you request it on their website. Handle the board with care; they may scope it looking for any damage including scratches and void the rma if they find any surface damage. I use priority mail with no insurance or you can get a return receipt for them to sign. Never had an issue getting a new board; when you request the rma, just say the board won't post. No other info is necessary.

chugot9218

Honorable
Raidmax is not known for quality PSU's, I would guess that it could be causing your issue. The description of the issue sounds like a PSU problem, your labeled wattage is fine but the raidmax probably is not hitting it (or the rail voltage), get a PSU from a decent maker (corsair, antec, etc...).

dovaspike

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Well, this may be possible, but I tried my other PSU (some Orion one, still working last time I checked) and thit still had the same problem.

chugot9218

Honorable
Well, because you tried another PSU, I would say it may not be the issue, butttttt.... that is a junk PSU too lol so I don't think you can completely rule it out. Could be a MOBO issue then, you could have an issue with the contacts but I don't think you would have gotten as far as you did in the first place.

dovaspike

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Will Check some more when I get home. Thanks for the feedback

dovaspike

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Does knowing that my CPU was making a burning smell before this happened help? I fixed the smell problem, but I think it either killed the CPU or motherboard's contacts for the CPU. Am I right? :??:

chugot9218

Honorable
Well, if it was actually your CPU it definitely could have contributed. I would still point to a problem caused by the PSU, it sounds like it might have damaged something, and unfortunately, those problems are pretty hard to diagnose, a lot of people simply start buying and switching out parts in the hopes of fixing it.

Solution

dovaspike

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

And that is exactly what I am doing.
Hopefully, new parts will fix the problem. :ange: