Average Frame Rate?

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

Haven't gamed in like a year but I just loaded up RTCW again! With moderate
to high visual settings in 1024 x 768 I am getting about 20-40 FPS. Is this
considered average or acceptable? It's not TOO choppy, but I woulda
expected more.

Pentium 4 3.02ghz
800mhz FSB
512 mb. PC3200 ram

ATI Radeon 7000, 32mb.

The Mobo was the best i could get my hands on last august, and it still
flies! Wolfenstein shouldn't require more ram I don't think.. I know the
Radeon 7000 is ageing but i originaly bought it because it was TWICE the
system requirements of this game.

Also when I turn on the Light-map things are a little flakey in areas, hard
to explain except occasionaly I see splotches of color on a texture pannel
that come and go. What is this?

I have com_hunkmegs at 320 and soundmegs at 64 that seems to have helped.

Anyone have ideas?

Ravenslay3r wrote in news:%CvOc.144$lD5.60@trndny03:

> Haven't gamed in like a year but I just loaded up RTCW again! With
> moderate to high visual settings in 1024 x 768 I am getting about
> 20-40 FPS. Is this considered average or acceptable? It's not TOO
> choppy, but I woulda expected more.
>
> Pentium 4 3.02ghz
> 800mhz FSB
> 512 mb. PC3200 ram
>
> ATI Radeon 7000, 32mb.
>
> The Mobo was the best i could get my hands on last august, and it
> still flies! Wolfenstein shouldn't require more ram I don't think.. I
> know the Radeon 7000 is ageing but i originaly bought it because it
> was TWICE the system requirements of this game.
>
> Also when I turn on the Light-map things are a little flakey in areas,
> hard to explain except occasionaly I see splotches of color on a
> texture pannel that come and go. What is this?
>
> I have com_hunkmegs at 320 and soundmegs at 64 that seems to have
> helped.
>
> Anyone have ideas?

The hunkmegs seem a little high, though that shouldn't affect framerates.
Try 192. I think your "chokepoint" is the video card, especially since
its only 32mb. Try a lower resolution, 800 x 600 say, to see if your
frame rates improve.

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

LoL i'd cry if i had that POS card in my comp. Seriously if you live in the
states/europe/australia basically anywhere im sure you can find a Radeon
9600XT for roughly $120 USD or around $230 AUS not really sure on Euros but
i gather it'd be between USD and AUS. That card probably wont even start
doom3 or hl2 if your planning on playing them.

Even find a 2nd hand Geforce4 Ti440 or 4600 or even a 4800, this will
greatly improve framerate over your current card.

When developers post requirements - It's usually for the bare minimum.
I'd seriously advise you to turn of lightmaps, dynamic lights, turn
character detail to low or medium same with details.
Create an Autoexec.cfg and place it in your main folder or osp folder
depending where you play.

I'd strongly suggest using these settings to go in it:

com_hunkmegs "192"
com_maxfps "55"
cg_wolfparticles "0"
cg_shadows "0"
r_lodbias "2" can probably get away with it set to 1
r_picmip "2" Same as above
r_picmip2 "2"
r_vertexlight "1"

Then see if you can pull a sort of stable 76FPS, if not try capping at 55
and see how that goes. If its still going up and down try 43.

"Mole" <moleman1995NO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ravenslay3r wrote in news:%CvOc.144$lD5.60@trndny03:
>
> > Haven't gamed in like a year but I just loaded up RTCW again! With
> > moderate to high visual settings in 1024 x 768 I am getting about
> > 20-40 FPS. Is this considered average or acceptable? It's not TOO
> > choppy, but I woulda expected more.
> >
> > Pentium 4 3.02ghz
> > 800mhz FSB
> > 512 mb. PC3200 ram
> >
> > ATI Radeon 7000, 32mb.
> >
> > The Mobo was the best i could get my hands on last august, and it
> > still flies! Wolfenstein shouldn't require more ram I don't think.. I
> > know the Radeon 7000 is ageing but i originaly bought it because it
> > was TWICE the system requirements of this game.
> >
> > Also when I turn on the Light-map things are a little flakey in areas,
> > hard to explain except occasionaly I see splotches of color on a
> > texture pannel that come and go. What is this?
> >
> > I have com_hunkmegs at 320 and soundmegs at 64 that seems to have
> > helped.
> >
> > Anyone have ideas?
> >

> The hunkmegs seem a little high, though that shouldn't affect framerates.
> Try 192. I think your "chokepoint" is the video card, especially since
> its only 32mb. Try a lower resolution, 800 x 600 say, to see if your
> frame rates improve.

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

Actually it was a decent card when I got it and has served me well. Like I
said, it was DOUBLE the reccomended system requirements of wolfenstein...
No it won't run Doom 3 but at the moment i'm broke so thats not much of an
issue... It is next in line to be replaced.

If i turn light maps off the game pretty much flys. Right now it's not
choppy, just could be better, and almost all detail is up...

thx tho