"Open RAW" Working Group announcement

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 25, 2005 2:14:30 PM

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042501openraw_websi...

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:17:03 PM

Randy W. Sims wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>

>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042501openraw_websi...
>

> Bravo!

Why?

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
April 25, 2005 8:18:34 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:17:03 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Randy W. Sims wrote:
>> Alan Browne wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042501openraw_websi...
>>

>> Bravo!
>
>Why?

Eh? This will be a good resource for software developers. I'd like to
see more RAW converters out there.... more choice = happy me.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:17:03 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>Randy W. Sims wrote:

>>>Bravo!
>>
>>Why?
>

> Eh? This will be a good resource for software developers. I'd like to
> see more RAW converters out there.... more choice = happy me.

Let him answer for himself; your opinion noted.

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:34:43 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Randy W. Sims wrote:
>
>> Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042501openraw_websi...
>>
>> Bravo!
>
> Why?

From a practical standpoint, my primary OS is (Debian) GNU/Linux. I
should be able to work in Linux as easily as in Windows to process
photos that I took on my camera.

It's also important that manufacturers understand the needs of all of
its users. An organization or entity that proactively pursues open RAW
formats can be a voice for users. It's important for users to have a
voice to help influence the makers of products. It's beneficial for both
users and manufacturers.

From an idealogical standpoint, I believe in open software and open
standards. I also participate in open software projects (mostly Perl
related). I'm not fanatical about it, as I also believe in proprietary
softare. The only time I get religous about it is when companies try to
lock users in so that they don't have any alternatives. This isn't so
much about software as it is about standards and formats. It's like
someone coming along and making html files proprietary, saying you can
only create them from X editor and you can only view them from Y
browser. It limits users arbitrarily without any good reason. What if Y
browser doesn't work on my OS? Now I have to switch OS or get an extra
machine to run it... or find an alternative to html.

Open standards also help to foster larger communities. Right now there
are lots of applications that can read and process NEF RAW files, for
example. Nikon users have plenty of options on most OS to process their
photos. If Nikon starts encrypting parts of its files, it will limit
those options. It takes away any investments users have made in
purchasing or obtaining such applications, and learning to use them and
to work in a certain way. Now users MUST change the way they do things
because someone else says so. It's worse than if it had been a closed
format from the beginning. It's always bad to take away from your users
without really good reasons.

There are undoubtably other good reasons and people who could voice them
better than I. This is already starting to sound very religous, so I'll
shutup now.

Randy.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:42:25 PM

Randy W. Sims wrote:

> There are undoubtably other good reasons and people who could voice them
> better than I. This is already starting to sound very religous, so I'll
> shutup now.

Not at all. Your reasons seem generally well presented and not zealous.

!