Poor download speed

gsemack

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I have 2 computers poerating on the same wireless router connection. one, a dual core, has a ping of 115 and a download speed of 9.47. the other is a newer quad core i-7 and gets a 55 ping and a download of .5 from the same connections. this is new. what 's going on? what can i do to correct this? thanks

novasynth

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
it would help if you went into greater detail with what speed exactially you are getting, weather that is mb/s or kb/s. The computer's CPU should have nothing to do with your download speed, it might be that if your downloading something on the first computer, it is taking priority over most of the bandwidth connection leaving the other one with a very slow downloading rate. There are many different factors that you have to think about when it comes to downloading things off the internet.

Are both your computers laptops? or are they desktops just wired to a wireless router? Is it your own wireless signal that you are using? Just wondering why your ping is so high, it shouldnt reach more than 10ms using a newer wireless router using the 802.11n band.

As for your downloading speed problem, like i said it could be a number of things. Check your MAC tables in your router and see if there is anyone else using your wireless.

gsemack

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE. BOTH COMPUTERS ARE LAPTOPS. THE DOWNLOAD NUMBERS ARE MB/S. THE ROUTER IS MY OWN AND IS AN "802.11N" ROUTER. BOTH LAPTOPS ARE CONNECTED WIRELESSLY. THESE LAPTOPS HAVE BEEN WORKING TOGETHER ( AT THE SAME TIME ) USING THIS SAME CONNECTION FOR 2 MONTHS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM. THEY WERE BOTH GETTING DOWNLOAD SPEEDS OF 10 TO 12 MB/S IN THE PAST. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A MAC TABLE IS OR HOW TO CHECK IT.

IT'S AS THOUGH THE ANTENNA IS GIVING OFF A WEAKER SIGNAL. IF I TAKE MY LAPTOP TO THE ROUTER, THE SPEED IMPROVES TO ALMOST THE SAME AS IN THE PAST. WHERE THE PROBLEM IS OCCURING IS AT ABOUT 50 FT AND THROUGH 2 WALLS FROM THE ROUTER LOCATION. THIS IS THE SAME POSITION WHERE THESE 2 MACHINE WERE WORKING FINE IN THE PAST.