How to get hdmi audio output

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hello all,
I recently bought a Amd 7850 GPU : MSI Twin Frozr.
My Monitor has a DVI connectors only. So I have to use Hdmi DVI cable.

My 5.1 system has 3 audio PIN inputs and 5 audio Pin outputs.
3 Connect to motherboard Green.Orange.Black.
5 outputs connect to 5 small speakers.

How can i get to use the Sound from the Video Card?
What cables do i need to buy/use?

Solution
Unless your 5.1 system has HDMI inputs and outputs, you don't get audio from your graphics card. Just use the analog audio outputs from your motherboard. Optionally, if your 5.1 system has an Optical S/PDIF input, you could use the Optical S/PDIF output from your motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unless your 5.1 system has HDMI inputs and outputs, you don't get audio from your graphics card. Just use the analog audio outputs from your motherboard. Optionally, if your 5.1 system has an Optical S/PDIF input, you could use the Optical S/PDIF output from your motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Solution

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Thanks for your response..

My 5.1 system has only those 3.5mm pin jacks 3 input.. 5 output.

So was wondering is there some kind of Combo Cable
a) HDMI to DVI ( going into the monitor) and
b) at the same time having 3 mm Pin wire going into the audio system?

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Thanks for your response..

hmm Just curious ... I think ill stick with my current setup

However can you recommend me a 5.1/7.1 Audio System which has HDMI inputs and outputs..
and which cable to use considering my Monitor has only DVI connectors.
:)

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sorry, but I can't recommend one. I don't have that much experience. I am using an Onkyo HT-S3200, but not for the HDMI inputs/output. Creating a home theater, the audio output needs to go one way and the video output needs to go the other way (main speakers in front, projector in the rear).

Given your set up (and I'd ask someone else to verify it will work first), I'd use HDMI from the PC to the Home Theater System and then an HDMI to DVI from the Home Theater System to the monitor.

-Wolf sends

Geoff RAF

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Redtek HDMI output at HDMi Audio not plugged in is indicated each time the external mic. is disconnected and still shows when the item is reconnected so each time this happens your microphone settings have to be renewed and checked

Geoff RAF

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Redtek HDMI output at HDMi Audio not plugged in is indicated each time the external mic. is disconnected and still shows when the item is reconnected so each time this happens your microphone settings have to be renewed and checked

Geoff RAF

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

Geoff RAF

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013