Sign in with
Your question

Will this work?

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2012 2:59:22 PM

I'll keep it simple. I want a gaming PC that can run all the new games, like Black Ops II and such. I don't really care if I play them on Ultra settings or Normal (yet), just that I can play em without any lag at all. So...will this work? I've never built a computer entirely on my own before, so I don't wanna do it. Decided to let walmart get it for me, so:
Motherboard & Processor
(Intel Core i5-3570K (4 x 3.40GHz) Processor, BYO Bundle)
Operating System
(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit Edition)
Memory
(4 x 2GB = 8GB DDR3-1333 Gaming Grade Memory Module)
Hard Drive
(500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)
Graphics Card
(AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 Video Card)

Also, cannot buy from anywhere else. Only walmart :p  Thanks for your attention

More about : work

December 4, 2012 3:07:19 PM

The graphics card is very cheap and won't really be good for very much longer. This would get you medium settings maybe. When it comes to gaming it is usually 90% GPU and 10% CPU.

If you build your own system you usually can do much better than a prebuilt. What is your budget for this?

Also, building a system isn't difficult or scary. There are many step by step guides to help you along as well.
m
l
December 4, 2012 3:14:00 PM

^Agreed. If you have even moderate manual dexterity, assembling a working PC is not difficult.
That PC is balanced to be a heavy productivity machine that can handle video tasks and maybe sample some games on low settings. For example, a week and a half ago I tried to play GW2 on my father's PC that has a HD6670 in it, and at 1600x900 I had to turn the settings way down and it still wasn't really smooth.
Take a look at this month's $500 SBM article, but keep in mind you'll need another $99 or so for Windows 7. If your budget is higher, get a stronger CPU and possibly a larger hard drive, but otherwise it's a great budget build.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2012 3:14:28 PM

Since there is not a Mobo listed, you might be wasting money on the K version of the CPU. Also, I would guess you are getting a very cheap PSU with that, so if you want to upgrade that 2.1 PCI Express card in the future, you will probably have to change the PSU as well. However, this is speculation since the entire system specs are unknown.
m
l
December 4, 2012 3:30:16 PM

If it's a prebuilt, the BIOS will be locked, so overclocking won't be an option. The i5-3570K is wasted in that build; an i5-3470 would make more sense.
That's a good point about the PSU. The stock PSU will probably not be junk, but it will be sized just for the system as provided, with zero headroom for upgrades. You could put a HD7750 in it, but that's a very small upgrade; hardly worthwhile. Not needing Ultra, a HD7770 might be sufficient, but even that is unlikely to run on the included PSU.
m
l
December 4, 2012 5:58:15 PM

Well, what if I were to get a better GPU and an cheaper CPU? Something like, an AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 GPU and an AMD FX-6100?

Well, seems like this ^^ runs Sleeping Dogs and Black Ops II just fine. What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LPylIQ0zuc
m
l
!