Sign in with
Your question

BF3/Planetside 2 Build Help

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2012 4:50:29 PM

Hello, I'm looking to build a computer mostly for BF3/Planetside 2 as my current computer only gets like 3 fps on either game. My budget is around $1000-1200.
Here is a link to the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/qU7i

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" SSD
Case: BitFenix Shinobi
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
Total: $777.52

For the video card I'm not sure whether to go with a RadeonHD 7870 ghz or a GTX 660ti (Or something along those lines), I've read that PlanetSide 2 is mostly optimized for nvidia because of physx, but I'm not sure how badly this will affect the radeon. I'm mostly looking to run around 45-60 fps on med/high settings, if that helps. As for the case, I'm mostly looking for something with a top mounted i/o (Phantom 410, Shinobi, etc), so if anyone has suggestions that will help me out as well.

More about : bf3 planetside build

December 4, 2012 4:57:15 PM

well you chose a build for exact 2 games planetside 2 and bf3 which both performs better with nvidia cards , so the gtx 660ti is a better option , and you even can drop to gtx 660 and you will only loose about 6 to 10 fps , and the your build is pretty perfect except that the psu is an overkill for your system 500W is enough , except if you plan to sli in the future , and stick to ( seasonic , xfx , corsair ).
m
l
December 4, 2012 5:56:18 PM

Well, the 7870 would perform better in alot of games, but if you want the Physx that bad I guess there is no other real choice.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 1:32:04 PM

Alright, build is finalized for the most part (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rbKN), and honestly the only reason I went with the 660ti over the 7870 is just due to the fact I'm only interested in a couple games and they seem to run better with nVidia vs AMD; Critics/suggestions are welcome. I probably won't be able to build it until mid-december after looking around for deals online or retail.
m
l
December 6, 2012 2:23:14 PM

Ok so one thing confuses me... Your fist pcpartpicker link had Canada sites, and the second has US sites. Just trying to figure out where you can buy from. Anyway, here are my suggestions. Your over all build looks good I just have a few items. BF3 is very GPU intensive and PS2 can be very CPU intensive, so this system should do fine.

1) CPU Cooler. I'd bump this up to the Cooler Master Evo 212. It has a nicer fan. From experience that fan has far less issues than any fan I've ever used. I have 3 of those fans in my case and they work well, don't build up as much dust as others, and have been quiet for 2+ years so far.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

2) Upgrade that 500GB drive to a 1TB. The cost is not that much more and is cheaper than having to buy another drive later down the road. I suggest a Samsung F3. It is probably one of the most reliable drives out there and performs slightly under a WD Black 1TB drive.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

3) I agree with the PSU, 750w is overkill. The XFX 550w is a good choice. It also has 20% off till 12/12 and a MIR. If you are going from the US site it also has $5 off instantly. It is a REALLY good deal. I'd pick it up NOW if you could rather than waiting until mid-december.

Also, some of the holiday deals for specific components are for a few days only and are ridiculous savings. Some components will be worth buying ASAP as soon as you see a deal. The XFX PSU being one of them. Just the other day I had a coworker get an LCD that was a huge savings, $65 off a $200 display I believe. There are a lot of SSD deals pooping up as well, so look out. The Crucial M4 128Gb was just on sale in the US for $89.99, but is sold out on Newegg now.
m
l
December 6, 2012 8:09:01 PM

jay2tall said:
Your over all build looks good I just have a few items. BF3 is very GPU intensive and PS2 can be very CPU intensive, so this system should do fine.

no not really bf3 is a very CPU intensive especially the MP.
m
l
December 6, 2012 8:39:20 PM

^I have buddies who run dual core's and they run it fine.
m
l
December 6, 2012 8:41:15 PM

Same here.
m
l
!