Upgrading CPU, Ram and Mobo Advice

rixzer

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This week.

Budget Range: €350 ($450)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, RAM and motherboard. My PSU is Corsair 750w (Not sure on model but can find out if need be)

Do you need to buy OS: NO

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (dabs.ie)

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Additional Comments: NA

Upgrading because my current build just doesn't cut the mustard anymore!

Hi,

I have decided to upgrade my current rig (e8400 @3.6, 6GB ddr2 800MhHz and HD 4870). It has served me extremely well over the past 3-4 years but it's finally getting to old to keep up with current games. I have already bought a HD 7870 as money is a little tight at the moment and I figured this would give me the most bang for gaming for the price. I plan to buy a new cpu, mobo and memory this week. I have done a good bit of research and have narrowed my choices down to a 2500k or a 3570k. I would like to overclock but nothing too extreme.

Anyways, was hoping you guys could help me choose a good set up. My budget is the main limiting factor. I can't really afford to go far over €350. I live in Ireland so I don't have access to newegg. I will be buying my parts from http://www.dabs.ie

Thanks a lot,
Lee.

rixzer

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
That's great. Thanks for the help angaddev. Just a quick question. I've read that the 3570k has sligltly better performance clock for clock. It's approx. the same price on dabs.ie. Is there any reason you would recommend the 2500k over the 3750k?

Thanks,
Lee.

rixzer

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
In the end I went for the 3570k, the Kingston memory you suggested and the Z77 Extreme 4 mobo. Pretty happy with it.

Cheers,
Lee.