Sign in with
Your question

Red pixels

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2012 12:36:45 AM

I have read a lot of the forums with "similar" problems, and have been unable to find a resolution. So here goes...
Built myself
Hardware configuration.
ASUS Sabertooth X58 MOBO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
HIVE 80 750 watt PS
i7 Core 960 @ 3.2 GHz
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
6 GB Corsair RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
RAID 0+1
I did not overclock the machine, didn't feel the need too.
Built October 15, 2011

Red pixels showing up in the dark areas of the display. Occasionally lines. The pixels are very fine. It occured very shortly after I installed Borderlands 2, within two days. I was suspecting the drivers because the first install of the game, screwed up my device (GPU was not being detected in the device manager) so I uninstalled GPU, restarted, and reinstalled using the drivers provided on Nvidia site. That is when I started noticing the red pixels (once I was able to resolve the driver/GPU issue). I repeated the procedure, and attempted to wipe out all of the residuals from the divers (as good as anyone can).
Same problem.
This led me to believe there might be a heat issue. I opened the case to provide more air flow (never had problems with heat in the past), dusted it, and monitored the temp using CPUID. Around this time, the monitor started flickering on and off. The intervals were steady, every 5 min, and would stay off for 3 seconds (Only when I was playing ANY game). I reseated the GPU, and dusted again.
No change.
I went threw the drivers again, and started an RMA for the GPU.

New GPU, same problem. Seated the card in a different PCI-E slot. This reset my BIOS. Had to set the date/time, and the boot-procedure to point to the correct RAID. Unsure as to why that happened, maybe the battery is dying.

I went to a "store" and purchased a new PS. 850 Watts. No change. (return policy)

At this point in time, I have only the longest most time consuming things left. Reinstall windows on an alternate drive to test software. (unsure if using a bootable environment will even work).

RMA the Mobo and hope for the best.

I do not have an alternate monitor to test on, but I don't see how this can be a monitor issue, since the pixels do not occur on the same spot.

MY QUESTION. Can this be a MOBO issue? I am still leaning towards driver/software. I do not know of any other way to test this without going threw an entire installation of windows on an alternate drive. (I do not want to do this).

More about : red pixels

October 14, 2012 12:48:15 AM

It could indeed be a monitor issue, it doesn't have to be a dead pixel or LCD issue but it sounds more like a wierdly behaving display driver. Try plugging in a separate input (laptop?) and see if it has the same problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 2:26:47 AM

I had a similiar issue but with green pixels. I replaced my VGA cable with a DVI, replaced my GPU, then replaced my DVI cable with another DVI cable. After I was done throwing money at it (I was actually looking to upgrade my GPU at the time) I thought, maybe it's the monitor. My friend brought over a monitor and problem solved. Test out a different monitor first, it's one of the easiest things to test.
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 12:57:50 AM

I'm at a complete loss. I have tried a new monitor, cable, and aside from the MOBO... I really do not know what will fix this. I cant seem to find any good residual driver removal tools... I still think its the drivers, but I cannot prove it, since I cant seem to get them all off.

My only options left are to install windows on a alternate drive and see if that fixes it... guess I have to go buy a harddrive.
m
l
October 21, 2012 11:59:17 PM

Nvidia drivers are the culprit. And windows 7 is the reason why it was reoccuring. Overtime i was uninstalling drivers... My reboot wasnt to safe mode. Upon loading windows 7 would sideload drivers. I didn't notice it because i hate the system tray and usually and dump it off. Anyway, i was loading drivers and windows was loading drivers which caused a whole mess of ghost drivers. It all started with nvidias latest drivers. They aren't loading correctly. This and windows "Im gonna wreck it for you"... Anyway. Fixed
m
l
!