Homebuilt Pc stopped turning on overnight. Help please?

edmundostudios

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Hello everyone,

My build has been running flawlessly for around 5-6 months till now/-

Okay, the problem is that the PC has randomly stopped turning on, NO LED light on mobo, no post, nothing. The strange thing is that this has all seemed to have happened OVERNIGHT and was working flawlessly yesterday so I doubt it would have shorted or have run into any compatibility issues.

It might be something simple but if not it seems to be an issue with either the psu (good brand corsair) or the mobo it's self. I don't have time to test on it till the end of the week so any help from anyone would be great, thanks!

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
this will sound dumb, but start with the obvious, the outlet has power?? no blown breaker?

after that move on to the power supply

...then continue to check if there is any insect fried on either side of the mobo that is shorting it out. Check the wiring to/from the power/reset switch for same possible short scenarios (even a dust ball can cause that if placed in the right position).
Hit us back after you've done all these and let us know.

edmundostudios

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. I tried the different outlets and power cables last night, nothing worked.

Amazingly this morning I tried plugging the power back into the PSU through the SAME OUTLET and the green led came on and all was bright as rain, I didn't even re-seat any cables in the case. However I later re-seated the 4 pin cpu and 24 pin mainboard connector just in case. Whilst doing so I noticed no sign of fried components, compositors looked healthy with no debris.

Any ideas what the cause of this might have been? the connection is never intermittent and has never cut out during actual use and this has only happened once, is this something relatively normal or should I look into it? Thanks again..

System specs:

i5 3570k

AMD 6870 1gb

Corsair GS gamers 500w

P8 Z77 V LX asus MOBO

4x4 corsair vengence ram (mem test 86 passed)

1tb WD black (storage)

500gb WD blue (OS)

And windows 7 64 bit.