Solved

6-Pin power cable doesn't fit

I have a GTX 260 that I'm trying to hook up to my Frankenstien PC I've just put together. The PSU I have has a weird cable though, one of the pins on the 6-pin connectors is square:
http://imgur.com/2Aaro
http://imgur.com/ChTBn

and doesn't fit into the "D" shaped hole that it corresponds to:
http://imgur.com/Anlu3

Note: this card requires 2 6-pins, and both are in the same situation.

Thanks for you time and insight.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power cable doesn
  1. stratocaster129 said:
    I have a GTX 260 that I'm trying to hook up to my Frankenstien PC I've just put together. The PSU I have has a weird cable though, one of the pins on the 6-pin connectors is square:
    http://imgur.com/2Aaro
    http://imgur.com/ChTBn

    and doesn't fit into the "D" shaped hole that it corresponds to:
    http://imgur.com/Anlu3

    Note: this card requires 2 6-pins, and both are in the same situation.

    Thanks for you time and insight.

    as you did not post the power supply your using. check all of the cables. if it a modular power supply. there going to be one 8 pin cable or two 4 pin cables to make up and 8 pin cable for pci power. if the power sdupply has two power cables most times there a 6 pin cable and 2 pin cable on one end and a 6 pin connector that polugs into the module power supply.
    http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/56/56ff61d3_pcie-connectors.jpeg
  2. the clip go to top side of your anlu 3 picture she slide in the open space
  3. The bottom middle pin is wrong. Are you sure you have the PCIe power cable? Is it a modular PSU? If so, you may have the wrong end.
  4. Unfortunately due to the nature of the beast (I got all these parts for free) I have very little information about the power supply, apart from the brand name is "Acepower", the model is ACE 520w, and that in it's previous life it was used in a graphics workstation.
  5. stratocaster129 said:
    Unfortunately due to the nature of the beast (I got all these parts for free) I have very little information about the power supply, apart from the brand name is "Acepower", the model is ACE 520w, and that in it's previous life it was used in a graphics workstation.



    If you ACE 520W power supply is model PSUACE52012CM it doesn't have any PCI-Express power connectors.


    You can see it's specs and model number by looking at the label affixed to the power supply showing the DC Output table etc etc.


    Is it this one?

    http://www.box.co.uk/520W_Ace_Value_Grey_PSU_24_Pin_with_12Cm_1018284.html
  6. maxalge said:
    If you ACE 520W power supply is model PSUACE52012CM it doesn't have any PCI-Express power connectors.


    You can see it's specs and model number by looking at the label affixed to the power supply showing the DC Output table etc etc.


    Is it this one?

    http://www.box.co.uk/520W_Ace_Value_Grey_PSU_24_Pin_with_12Cm_1018284.html



    No, It is this one exactly:
    http://www.f2fcomputers.com/viewpart.php?Part_ID=298
  7. That's a 6 pin motherboard connecter, not a PCIE connector
  8. ....I could cry. Any solutions?
  9. you can get molex to 6 pin adapters that use 2 of the molex connectors :)
  10. i just discovered them today actually! check the top pic on this page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-benchmark-gk106,3318-2.html
  11. I hope I still have 4 molex connectors open
  12. lol i'm sure you can free up 2 molex connectors! if you need them for fans then you've probably got some 3 pin fan connectors on your motherboard that you could use for the fans
  13. oh *** it's dual 6 pin! yeh you'll need 4 molex geeze! get a new video card or a better psu? :p
  14. So the good news: I have 5 molex connectors.
    The bad news: I'm using two of them; one for the Disc drive, the other two power a SATA hard drive Via adapter because the previous owner dcided to clip the ATA connectors to be unusable.

    I do have soldering skills, and the old 300w psu that had SATA connectors. Could I replace the connectors by clipping off the old one and soldering a new one on?
  15. Best answer
    While it's always better to follow the rules, you could probably get by with 1 Molex for each 6 pin PCIe connector as long as you choose Molexes from different strings. But the proper thing to do would be to save up for a new PSU. Here's a PSU I've used on budget builds that won't set you back too much. It has 1 6pin and 1 6+2 pin PCIe connector.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030
  16. For those of you who may or may not be wondering what I did in the end, I've successfully soldered a new SATA connector on where the unuseable one was. This appears to be working, thanks for your help.
  17. Best answer selected by stratocaster129.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Cable Power Graphics Product