Sign in with
Your question

Cheap-ish Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2012 6:24:03 PM

I am awful at it, but can someone give me a list of components for a desktop computer that is <675 US dollars(not including shipping/tax) that is optimized for gaming?

I have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive and speakers down, so I don't need that.

I just need the CPU, power supply, GPU, mobo, sound and internet thingies(I never really learned what they do, but I assume they are necessary), RAM, etc.

Everyone who helps gets a picture of a kitten.

More about : cheap ish gaming build

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2012 7:10:37 PM

Do you need a copy of Windows as well?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2012 7:20:24 PM

I'd start with this month's $500 SBM build. Get an i3-3220 CPU instead, and a 2GB version of the HD7850, possibly one with a quieter cooler if that matters to you. You'll be under your budget (unless you also need Windows), but have a nice gamer. Unless you need wireless internet, the motherboard has a RJ45 Ethernet port on it. If you need wireless, you should be able to pick up an add-in card for ~$25. USB dongles are even cheaper, but they can be slower, which might not be good for games, especially twitch shooters.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2012 7:43:50 PM

Onus has it spot on. There's still the question of what to do with the rest of your budget - you could obviously save it, but there are a few more luxuries you could afford with the remaining ~$70ish:

- you could opt for a solid-state drive (or more mass storage). You won't notice terribly many benchmark score increases, but I'll be damned if your computer won't feel twice as fast with an SSD.
- you could get a nicer power supply. The Antec VP-450 is a great PSU, don't get me wrong - but it's non-modular, and there are a number of more efficient power supplies out there (lower heat, less noise, lower power bill if energy is expensive for you).
- you could choose a nicer case. Cases can easily last through multiple builds, so it's always a good idea to get something with the features, quality, and aesthetics you like.
- you could go for more performance, as well; you might be able to afford the jump to a 7870.
m
l
December 4, 2012 9:00:47 PM

I don't use windows(but when I do, I already have a copy), I use Linux.

Thanks guise.
m
l
!