Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading my whole rig

Last response: in Systems
December 3, 2012 11:45:09 PM

Hi guys,
Im basically getting a ot of new stuff for my PC. I want a faster CPU which i was thinking on buying a I5 2500k and a new GPU which would be a HD 7870 in Saphirre model. Anyway my current specs are the ones below, And i will be aproximately buying these in about 2 months.
CPU: Phenom X6 II 1055t
GPU:Nvidia GTX 550Ti
MOBO: GA-880GM-USB3
RAM: G.Skill 2x4 GB stick
The other specs dont matter too much right? If you guys need them i can post them.
Is the I5 2500k a good CPU? like i want to make it Future proof to make it last a good year and a half. The GPU im looking is to ideally run games like Skyrim, Far cry 3, BF3 and Crysis 2 at max settings with a stable FPS. By changing the CPU, I will need a new MOBO right? Please, If you could recomend a better CPU, GPU and suggest a MOBO for my PC would be much appreciated, I intend to buy my Items in 2 months

Thanks, In advance

More about : upgrading rig

a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 11:49:17 PM

Don't get a 2500K unless you get it for a lot less than the 3570K - I say buy a 3570K, MSI Z77 motherboard, 8GB RAM, a GTX 660ti, and a 500W PSU to power all that, that will last you more than a year & play all the games you want, especially if you buy 2 660tis and do SLI
December 3, 2012 11:58:29 PM

Thanks! how much will all of this be? BTW i got a Thermal take with a 700 watt Power. Will a single GTX EVGA 680 be better than 2 SLIs of a 660? And also, Which is more important, The CPU or the GPU?
Thanks
Related resources
a c 134 à CPUs
December 4, 2012 1:24:56 AM

youre 1055t is fine if you get an aftermarket cpu cooler for it and overclock it a bit.
Then all you would need is to update the gpu system.
December 4, 2012 9:57:16 AM

Thanks! I know its a good proccesor but i cant overclock since anything above 3.0Ghz my MOBO wont let it boot, So i would have to change motherboard and since i also want a new GPU i should get a new CPU. I was thinking on getting this MOBO:( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
December 4, 2012 4:58:34 PM

Thanks for the reply, My budget is something around 600 bucks, So i would like to get a cheaper GPU. Im set on getting the the I5 3570k, Which, where i live should be around 270 bucks. Then im looking at which MOBO to get. my budget for it isnt to high, Im just looking for two things on my new MOBO, For it to be able to be a good overclocker and for it to be resistant. I was looking at the ASrock Z77 extreme 3 for about 140bucks, If there is a better one, for cheaper i would be apreciated. all this upgrades leave me with 190 bucks to spend on the GPU, I could muster around 230 for it so Recommendations for my GPU would be extremly aprreciated. Thanks in advance.
December 4, 2012 5:02:37 PM

Check out the System Builder Marathon on Tom's front page. It lists off a $500 build that you can use as a reference for different parts to get.

The other information we need when you refer to your budget is what parts you need, and what parts you have. A $600 budget can either be small if it's the entire build including monitor and OS, or it can be big if you're upgrading the CPU, Mobo, Memory, Graphics.
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 6:33:13 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
December 4, 2012 7:02:57 PM

MasterMace said:
Check out the System Builder Marathon on Tom's front page. It lists off a $500 build that you can use as a reference for different parts to get.

The other information we need when you refer to your budget is what parts you need, and what parts you have. A $600 budget can either be small if it's the entire build including monitor and OS, or it can be big if you're upgrading the CPU, Mobo, Memory, Graphics.

Thanks for the Reply, I already have a case, Monitor, Cables, Ram sticks, DVD reader and a Power Supply and windows. I went today to different PC shops and found a I5 3570k for 280 bucks (cheap where i live) and found a GTX 660Ti for 473 bucks and a 7870 Sapphire for 325, Also found out a Crosshair Max V for 370 bucks. I cant order from USA since it would actually cost me more to bring. Is the Crosshair a good MOBO for the I5 3570k? a good overclocker board? Am i better of with the GTX or the 7870 in the bast bang for my buck? Thanks everyone who helped, Suggestions are always welcome!
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 7:06:01 PM

The 660ti will give you about 20% more FPS than the 7870.
December 4, 2012 11:12:56 PM

Thanks. I guess ill have to go with the 7870. Maybe ill crossfire it on the future. From what i read, Im dead set on the I5 3570k and i will get the Maximus V. The cheapest i have found them both for is, For the maximus V; 280 bucks, For the I5:269 bucks. That leaves me with the GPU. Im between 2 options, Option 1: Buying 2 7870 GPUs and Crossfiring them for . Option 2; Buying one GTX 670 or maybe 680 and using them Single This i would get for around for 749(using GTX 680 as price) Which option would provide better graphics? Which will be better bang for my buck? Will my Thermal take TR2 RX 750w be able to power both options? i will be using the Maximus for both options
Thanks

Best solution

December 4, 2012 11:30:08 PM

babernet_1 said:
The 660ti will give you about 20% more FPS than the 7870.

What are you smoking? HD 7870 can compete neck to neck with 660 ti.

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/

OP: Don't worry HD 7870 is an extremely good $/perf card. It OCs better than 660 TI and can compete in many newer games.
December 4, 2012 11:37:40 PM

burntpizza said:

OP: Don't worry HD 7870 is an extremely good $/perf card. It OCs better than 660 TI and can compete in many newer games.

Lol, That made me laugh too much. Anyway thank you. I figured out what ill get, The 7870, Maximus V and the I5 3570k. When i get the money to buy another 7870 ill Crossfire it. Thanks to everyone on this thread, I would choose best answer for everyone if i could, Glad you guys could help me. Thanks
December 4, 2012 11:37:47 PM

Best answer selected by racoon.
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 1:29:44 AM

burntpizza said:

Oh, brother, you get the best answer, when you are wrong. He stated he was interested in Far Cry 3 and I gave the link to a review on it and if you check that review, you can see that the 7870 lags 20% to the 660ti. With Far Cry 3, which is a very demanding game, the Nvidia's seem to have the edge. Look at this page and page six of the link:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...
December 5, 2012 2:24:10 AM

babernet_1 said:
Oh, brother, you get the best answer, when you are wrong. He stated he was interested in Far Cry 3 and I gave the link to a review on it and if you check that review, you can see that the 7870 lags 20% to the 660ti. With Far Cry 3, which is a very demanding game, the Nvidia's seem to have the edge. Look at this page and page six of the link:

You are right, Thanks for posting after saying it was solved, How ever im not interested on only running far cry type games, Im actually looking to run a wide variety of games. What is more important, In order? Texel rate, Memory bandwith or Pixel rate? Since in HWcompare, The radeon wins in texel rate by 28%, The Radeon has a little bit bigger bandwith and in Pixel rate the GTX is 28% more effective, Again im doubting. Thanks
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 2:38:19 AM

racoon said:
You are right, Thanks for posting after saying it was solved, How ever im not interested on only running far cry type games, Im actually looking to run a wide variety of games. What is more important, In order? Texel rate, Memory bandwith or Pixel rate? Since in HWcompare, The radeon wins in texel rate by 28%, The Radeon has a little bit bigger bandwith and in Pixel rate the GTX is 28% more effective, Again im doubting. Thanks

Since Far Cry 3 is the most demanding game, that's the one you want your rig to handle, anything else is easy. Why but a card that gives you 85FPS on some simple game while it only gives you 20FPS in Far Cry 3? Choose the best for Far Cry 3 and the rest will be better.
December 6, 2012 2:12:26 AM

babernet_1 said:

ooh my bad
!