CPU far too hot! HELP!!

PookSam

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
Help!! I have a thunderbird 1Ghz processor in a soltek 75KAV motherboard, it has a standard high performance cooler on it, is *not* overclocked and the motherboard is reporting it's temperature at about 76 degrees centigrade, even when idle!! I have another machine, with an 800mhz thunderbird in it, and exactly the same cooler that is running at 45 degrees or there abouts. Can anyone give me any idea why the 1Ghz machine is running so hot?!
many thanks in advance!!! :(
Sam.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
it IS a faster processor.
could also be not properly mounted or not in proper
contact with the processor surface.
some arctic silver and a careful realignment of the
heat sink should suffice.
if not, then maybe u need a better heatsink. might
not be up to the task of cooling that mother.

ThePoo!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>is *not* overclocked and the motherboard is reporting it's temperature at about 76 degrees centigrade</b>
It shouldn't have been that hot. Check to see the tape that covers thermal compound on HSF is peeled off or you'd better get <b>artic silver</b> to replace the compound.

G

Okay 76C at idle is really not good because AMD rates the maximum temperature it can handle at 90C. Generally, anything over 50C and you're reducing the part's life expectancy. What is this "standard high performance cooler" you speak of? It doesn't even seem capable of keeping your 800MHz Tbird cool enough. The other response mentioned the possibility you left the tape over the bottom of the heatsink. I agree that you should check. You should definitely have some sort of thermal grease (preferably Artic Silver) between the heat sink and CPU instead of the cheap thermal pad that normally comes with the heat sink.