Erratic "GPU Usage %" on a 660Ti

Usually when I play BF3 the GPU usage stays around 98% and is stable unless game is between maps, but today I noticed it was extremely unstable. Game play stayed around 60fps, as opposed to giving me an average in the 70s.
On the graph the GPU Usage was from 99 to 73%, whereas everything else seemed pretty normal.

On the left is what I expect. On the right is the new chart. (MSI Afterburner)
What is going on?

Solution
Did you enable V-Sync by mistake? Mine sometimes automatically does it when I change to a different preset -- like from Custom to Low.

I might have changed it in the NVIDIA control panel. On the NVIDIA panel it was set
to "Use the 3D Application Setting" now it's set to "Off". Also, I loaded BF3 and noticed
that "Vertical Sync" was "On". Switched that off too.

Now my GPU looks normal in MSI Afterburner. Thanks. I thought Vsync would drop my fps, and
I didn't realize it affects your GPU Usage and Power. On the graph you can see how things have changed
simply by turning off Vsync.

JJ1217

Honorable
No worries, there are more reasons to V-sync other than preventing screen tearing from too high fps. Its also used to conserve power, and the GPU won't be as hot, as it won't be running at its max capacity.

If I can achieve an average of 58-60fps using Fraps, then shouldn't I keep Vsync on? Without Vsnyc my max GPU temp
was 72C, and with Vsync on it was 69C.

I saw no major issues that affected my game play, so maybe saving power and temp can add to the longevity of my card. I hope to use it for 2 years, then sell it.