New Graphics Card Advice

Mnms67

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hi guys,

I built my first (gaming pc) about three years ago and ive been very happy with everything so far.

I've looked at the recommended system requirements for Far Cry 3 and i was thinking it might be time for a slight upgrade.

Heres my current specs:

CPU: Phenom II X4 965 BE
MoBo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
GPU: Saphire HD 5870
Memory: Xms DDR3 2x2GB 1600 cl7 Corsair RAM
PSU: 750w Corsair XT
Windows 7, 64bit

I was thinking the RAM needs an upgrade and then probably the graphics card. Any suggestions for a speficic graphics card?

Also any other upgrade recommendations other GPU or Ram would be appreciated

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
You would be surprised to see how far 4GB of RAM will take you. It's totally adequate for just about every modern game.

Unless you're willing to pay a lot of money for a new graphics card, you're not going to get a big upgrade over what you have now. Speaking of which, what sort of budget did you have in mind for this new stuff? Both the Radeon HD 7870 and the GeForce GTX 660 Ti would beat your 5850 by a nice margin at the cost of $250. If you really want a jump in performance beyond that, it'll be to the tune of $300+.

That CPU was probably a great and inexpensive choice for your computer back in 2010 when you built this thing. But today, it's getting dated. I'm not saying you'll ABSOLUTELY need to upgrade that too, but it might come back to bite you later.

I hope this helps.

baverdi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Your system should play FC3 rather well, but if you want max eye candy you could move up to a 7850 or a 7950 if you want to stay AMD or you could grab a 670ti. Do you have a budget?