Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Builder Looking for Help on Gaming PC!

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 4, 2012 10:29:01 PM

Hi everyone I'm looking for help building a new gaming desktop. I have some experience building PCs, although my last one was around 2006. That computer has since hit the dumpster and lately I've been using laptops as my primary form of PC. I currently have a 3 year old Alienware M15x laptop at college I use for gaming and it's really not getting the job done. My guess is I probably will not be using it for much more than another year or two tops. So I'm here to ask all of you for recommendations on parts I would need to build a whole new rig. I have no parts in mind atm so I will need the whole ensemble... Please note this desktop will be primarily used for gaming on games such as Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, and the such. I have a Macbook Pro that I use for all my school & surfing needs. All help and input is well appreciated my friends!

Approximate Purchase Date: Christmas time - Early January

Budget Range: $2000 - $2500 before shipping & after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming - Movies - Video Editing - Surfing the Internet

Are you buying a monitor: Yes


Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg & Amazon

Location: Philadelphia, PA

Parts Preferences: Prefer Intel processor. Other parts are up for your suggestions, I'm not sure what brands are the best. I've been using Radeon Graphics Processors lately but I've used Nvidia before with success.

Overclocking: Maybe (if I can figure it out)

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Additional Comments: Window would be cool (with lights & the schnazz). I would like the PC to be able to game hard with no lag and problems. I also would like this PC to last for at least a few years (durable components). The quieter the better ofc. Primary games played will be Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, Civilizations 5

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current gaming laptop blows and I need a replacement. Fed up with gaming laptops, going to try for a desktop again.

Thank you all!

More about : builder gaming

a c 287 4 Gaming
December 4, 2012 10:58:58 PM

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1427.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-04 19:58 EST-0500)

I leave monitor and peripherals up to the builder as that's entirely personal preference.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 11:05:48 PM

That looks pretty solid, actually a lot cheaper than I was looking to spend. Would you be able to give me a build around the $2000 range? I was looking to maybe crossfire & have an SSD. Thanks for the reply.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2012 11:06:51 PM

That's all you really need for 1900x1200. Anything more is overkill.

And g-unit, what's the difference between the U9B and the D14? I'm having a hard time trying to see the difference.
m
0
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
December 4, 2012 11:08:37 PM

Deemo13 said:
That's all you really need for 1900x1200. Anything more is overkill.

And g-unit, what's the difference between the U9B and the D14? I'm having a hard time trying to see the difference.


U9B has a single heat sink with a smaller profile and 2 x 120mm fans. The D14 has dual heat sinks with 1 x 120mm fan and 1 x 140mm fan.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 11:08:43 PM

Deemo13 said:
That's all you really need for 1900x1200. Anything more is overkill.

And g-unit, what's the difference between the U9B and the D14? I'm having a hard time trying to see the difference.


What's the optimal resolution for gaming? I thought it was 1900x1200? :/ 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2012 11:17:47 PM

Well, optimal resolution depends on what your monitor is and what you want to play at. Before I got my awesome new monitor, I had an old TV that I was using. It ran at 1804x1014 resolution, and it looked great.

The thing is, you only need x graphics power to drive y pixels. If you are running a really really small monitor, you do not need that much graphics power.

Seeing as you are playing at 1900x1200, you would need about the card that g-unit posted to run every game at high or max settings. With that setup, it is possible to drive a badass resolution.

And g-unit, do they cool about the same? I've been thinking of replacing my H60, as I got it for free...and it kinda sucks. But I am also lazy, which causes a problem, and I have alot of builds that I need to work on.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 11:23:55 PM

Ahh I see. Good information there. The monitor I had previously used (24inch) was 1900 x 1200. I'm looking to buy a new HD monitor along with my new desktop. I just did some research and this one looks to be very good as I have used dell my whole life. What do you think? Would this require any different components &/or would crossfire add any gaming benefits or just be wasted money?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/255758/dell_u2412m_lcd_m...
m
0
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
December 5, 2012 2:43:38 AM

Deemo13 said:
Well, optimal resolution depends on what your monitor is and what you want to play at. Before I got my awesome new monitor, I had an old TV that I was using. It ran at 1804x1014 resolution, and it looked great.

The thing is, you only need x graphics power to drive y pixels. If you are running a really really small monitor, you do not need that much graphics power.

Seeing as you are playing at 1900x1200, you would need about the card that g-unit posted to run every game at high or max settings. With that setup, it is possible to drive a badass resolution.

And g-unit, do they cool about the same? I've been thinking of replacing my H60, as I got it for free...and it kinda sucks. But I am also lazy, which causes a problem, and I have alot of builds that I need to work on.


The D14 will cool better due to the extra large fan and the dual heat sink. It'd definitely be a better option than an H60.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 5, 2012 5:08:17 AM

Hmm...I like the look of the D14...but it costs money
m
0
l
December 5, 2012 10:37:00 PM

vertiz said:
Ahh I see. Good information there. The monitor I had previously used (24inch) was 1900 x 1200. I'm looking to buy a new HD monitor along with my new desktop. I just did some research and this one looks to be very good as I have used dell my whole life. What do you think? Would this require any different components &/or would crossfire add any gaming benefits or just be wasted money?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/255758/dell_u2412m_lcd_m...



FYI - Replied to your PM.
m
0
l
!