Gaming Computer for ~1000$

Hey, my current computer is around 4 years old and has been having some issues, such as clicking, blue screens, freezing and being slow. Regardless of the causes of these issues, I decided it was time to get a new computer. I heard that building a computer is more fun and can be more cost-efficient, so I decided to do that. The issue is, I don't know much about computer parts and what makes one better than another, so I need some helping picking some. I read through some of the posts on this forum that go over how to pick computer parts and such, so I have put together a list of the parts that I am looking at. I want to keep the price around 1000$, lower if possible.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/qXHf

I hope that link works, and I forgot to mention, but I am Canadian.

For the CPU cooler I couldn't decide between the Zalman CNPS9500 AT or the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/PLUS. For the motherboard I couldn't decide between the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH. The memory I had no clue about. I have a Radeon card right now, so I decided to go with another one of the same make, but I have no qualms about getting a Geforce one, I just don't really know the difference between the two types. I read that picking the PSU is an important part, did I pick a good one? Is it possible to get one cheaper and not endanger my build?

Anyway, thank you in advanced for all the help and advice. I am sorry if I forgot any important information.
7 answers Last reply
More about gaming computer 1000
  1. Looks good to me
  2. Is there anything that I could cut down on, then?
  3. Very noce build can i suggest a better psu that is $15 cheaper?
  4. get a cheaper psu. a xfx 550w is a little less efficient(bronze vs platinum) but will save you fifty bucks. You could upgrade to hd7950. link for xfx psu:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15180AC2961&vpn=P1550SXXB9&manfuacture=XFX

Oh yeah. been a while since I compared cooling performance between a zalman like that and a hyper 212, but the hyper 212 is probably better cooling per dollar than the zalman. At least for the cpu you are getting.

Edit:I mean save 40 bucks on the psu. You could get a hd7950 and stay under 1K: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67748&vpn=FX795ATDFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1310
  5. You can also get a corsair tx 650 for that price more wattage good brand
  6. Alright, thank you for the advice. Is the memory fine? What about the differences between the two motherboards? Also, what are the benefits of getting a modular power supply?
  7. The memory is very good. Not sure about the difference in mobos, just that the asrock z77 extreme 4 is pretty popular. Modular supplies avoid having all the extra unused cables obstructing airflow(or diminishing a tidy appearance if a windowed case). Many better cases(like the haf 912 and antec 300 2) have cable management features that can hide extra unused cables when housing a non modular supply. Here are a few tweaks to your build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.79 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $988.30
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-04 23:18 EST-0500)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Computer Systems