Trying to get a new tower for a good price.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I personally step up to the the i5 3570 in TheBigTroll's build mainly because it's a little over $10 more for the additional 200mhz bump in speed if you don't plan to OC. $10 for 200mhz increase on 4 cores, I think it's worth it and will make a noticeable difference if you ever do something CPU intensive. Beyond that I can't think of anything major I would change on his build as the things I would change from a quick glance were mainly due to personal preferance on brands and such.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I would go with Windows 8 there was definately some good improvement over from 7. Though most people hate it due to the Metro interface which I believe can be disabled and even if it can't it's 1 click and it's gone. Can't give you the specifics on what to be done as to disabling metro or how the new UI is, as I am going off of what I have read about it and a close friend of mine who used the OS for awhile to test it out. And I trust his opinion when it says the critisisms about it are overblown and typically seem to be from people who haven't used it yet from what I gathered too.

i dont agree for getting a 3570. the extra 200mhz is negligible in day to day use

windows 8 does not provide any performance gains

you can probably disable metro on start up but you can still never replace that start button. you still get that metro interface if you press the windows key

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey there donkeyjack, glad you got the replies towards building a new system. Anyways if your not into overclocking stick to the 3470, barely any difference and I personally would stay with Windows 7 opposed to Windows 8 which is a bit different from windows 7 and previous windows.

Anyways take a look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

As we can see the 3570k and 3470 is at the top of the list, generally Intel processors are better than AMD in terms of gaming.

However I believe in things like video rendering the FX-8350 kind of kills the i5. I hope your not going to do such things?

donkeyjack

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Thanks.

Sorry for being a noob, but why does the FX-8350 kills the i5?

socialfox

Distinguished
I believe the FX-8350 is just better in terms of multi-threaded applications, in a way (not exactly) the FX-8350 has a variant of hyperthreading. Though its not exactly the same, AMD has a different designs but if you ask me the 8 cores are not real when you compare it to a Phenom.