Server Question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 18, 2004 6:36:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

I have been playing RTCW MP since it came out on Mac OSX. I purchased
the full version. However, I have a linux machine and a cable
connection and wanted to experiment with running a RTCW server.

The cable line and server will be dedicated to running the game. In
other words, I'll be playing the game on another internet connection
on a differnet computer.

Do I have to buy another full version of the game to run the server on
linux? Currently, my version is OSX. Or is there a free download of
the RTCW server for linux somewhere? I couldn't find it on Planet
Wolfenstien.

Any ideas on what I can expect with this setup? It'll be a rather low
end PC running the server.

If it had some promise, then I'd consider maxing out the ram and
purchasing a fast hard drive for the linux machine.

More about : server question

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:12:49 AM

Nitro wrote:
> I have been playing RTCW MP since it came out on Mac OSX. I purchased
> the full version. However, I have a linux machine and a cable
> connection and wanted to experiment with running a RTCW server.
>
> The cable line and server will be dedicated to running the game. In
> other words, I'll be playing the game on another internet connection
> on a differnet computer.
>
> Do I have to buy another full version of the game to run the server on
> linux? Currently, my version is OSX. Or is there a free download of
> the RTCW server for linux somewhere? I couldn't find it on Planet
> Wolfenstien.

Just looked on rtcwfiles.com, there's a file named
wolf-linux-1.4-full... and IIRC that's what you need, probably one of
the upgrades as well.

> Any ideas on what I can expect with this setup? It'll be a rather low
> end PC running the server.

It mostly depends on your connection's bandwidth i guess. This has been
discussed here before so searching on groups.google.com might help, try
this http://tinyurl.com/4cajb for a start. You can fiddle with the
server's settings, i.e. reduce /rate or such, but that also reduces game
quality. It probably doesn't make much sense to run a decent server on a
connection with less than 1Mbps up/down bandwidth, the more the better.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:53:24 PM

In article <fe33cbe9.0408181224.1e958ec8@posting.google.com>, Nitro wrote:
> I have been playing RTCW MP since it came out on Mac OSX. I purchased
> the full version. However, I have a linux machine and a cable
> connection and wanted to experiment with running a RTCW server.
>
> The cable line and server will be dedicated to running the game. In
> other words, I'll be playing the game on another internet connection
> on a differnet computer.
>
> Do I have to buy another full version of the game to run the server on
> linux? Currently, my version is OSX. Or is there a free download of
> the RTCW server for linux somewhere? I couldn't find it on Planet
> Wolfenstien.

No, you don't need another rtcwkey to run the dedicated server. Copy the
pak files needed (or all) to the new box and install the linux binaries.
The dedicated server is included (wolfded.x86).

> Any ideas on what I can expect with this setup? It'll be a rather low
> end PC running the server.
>
> If it had some promise, then I'd consider maxing out the ram and
> purchasing a fast hard drive for the linux machine.

Hard to say whitout knowing the details on your setup and and the speed of
your connection. There are many settings that you can change to alter the
performance so that you can acommodate more players, like "sv_maxRate" the
maximum amount of data sendt to the clients.

Gameadmins.com have a guide:
<http://www.gameadmins.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=...;

---
marius
Related resources
August 19, 2004 6:39:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

> > If it had some promise, then I'd consider maxing out the ram and
> > purchasing a fast hard drive for the linux machine.
>
> Hard to say whitout knowing the details on your setup and and the speed of
> your connection.

How important is the upload speed of the internet connection? In other
words, if I was able to get 1.5mbs - 3mbs download and 256kbs upload
speed, would this bandwidth be decent enough to run the server? What
if I only could get 128kbs upload speed? Or, what would be the ideal
upload speed I should look for? I realize that the computer/server is
a factor in this too, but just in terms of the internet connection,
would this suffice?

I'd like to get 5 on 5 games, and 8 on 8 would be better. I'm trying
to see what I can do short of leasing a T1 (since I can't afford
that). Cable seems to be the next best option that is affordable.

>There are many settings that you can change to alter the
> performance so that you can acommodate more players, like "sv_maxRate" the
> maximum amount of data sendt to the clients.
>
> Gameadmins.com have a guide:
> <http://www.gameadmins.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=...;
>
> ---
> marius
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 12:54:57 PM

"Nitro" <jtechmart@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> How important is the upload speed of the internet connection? In other
> words, if I was able to get 1.5mbs - 3mbs download and 256kbs upload
> speed, would this bandwidth be decent enough to run the server? What
> if I only could get 128kbs upload speed? Or, what would be the ideal
> upload speed I should look for? I realize that the computer/server is
> a factor in this too, but just in terms of the internet connection,
> would this suffice?
>

> I'd like to get 5 on 5 games, and 8 on 8 would be better. I'm trying
> to see what I can do short of leasing a T1 (since I can't afford
> that). Cable seems to be the next best option that is affordable.

I run the AGW RTCW server on a T1. It handles 24 players, any more than that
and it starts to show signs of struggling, although some of that might be
due to also running a BF1942 server and the server being a fairly low spec
system (Duron 1.2, 512mb SDRAM, Debian Linux). I think on 256k you'd be
struggling to handle more than 5 or 6 players, based on messing with setting
up test servers at home on my 512/256 ADSL.

Dan

[AGW] Server @ 212.135.149.19:27960
[AGW-BF] Server @ 212.135.149.27:14567 (running DCX 0.72)
!