A hard decision. plz help.

Hello,
I just updated my rig with new i5 3570k, 8gb of Ram and AsRock Pro3 and XFX HD6950 2gb, and now I'm starting to wonder will my GPU be adequate since I want to payl 1920 x1080 games with max settings. If I change my 6950 to 7970, will there be a significant change on my performances? I don't know a single thing about over clocking, but I was able to boost my already 830 MHz and 1300 MHz clocks up to 840 and 1325 with CCC, ingame 'bout 1~2% increase in fraps.
6 answers Last reply
More about hard decision help
  1. Okay well, I'm not so clear on what you're trying to do here. Are you asking whether you should update your hardware? Or are you asking if you should O/C your card up to the specs of a 7970? Also, if you're thinking of O/C'ing, you'll need to be a little careful of stock cooling. Some board manufacturers like to put shoddy heatsinks on. I've seen a 6xxx series card that didn't even have a fan!
  2. Before spending a lot of money, see how your performance is. Lowering a setting or two from "SuperUltraMaxOhWow!" to "High" seems a reasonable price to pay to avoid spending another $400.
  3. No, I'm not trying to oc since I really don't know anything about it. I was just observing CCC capabilities and just happended to use AMD OverDrive settings. I'm thinking of upgrading my rig further. This just seems dumb, since I just upgraded. in a like a month or so, but yet again I'm not 100% satisfied on this rig as I'm thinking that could my performance be even better with 7970. So is there a big difference between 6950 ( or if clocked to 7970 ) and 7970?
  4. Of course there is a difference, but you need to decide if it's a difference worth spending $400 to get.
    You say you are not satisfied; what application or game is not running as well as you'd like?
  5. ok I understand your point. I ran 3d mark 11 tests and got score of 6927 overall and wasn't quite satisfied with that. I thought I could do better with this hardware setup. Also, I play bf3 and tried on ultra and wasn't able to play at all. Game stuck so bad that it almost froze entirely. I havent tried yet other games but I'm looking for crysis 2, skyrim and metro2033. In a couple of weeks new MoH.
  6. When BF3 first came out, I remember thinking how good it looked even on Medium settings. Of course, I'm enjoying GW2 on [near] max settings with my HD7870; don't do it for the benchmarks, but if you want to play games on higher settings, a HD7970 will be an improvement. You could always sell the HD6970 to lower your total cost.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Intel i5 Graphics Product