Remote Internet File Access/Networking Help

David

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I know a little about home networking as I have 3 computers running off a
wireless network but my brother rang me with a network request and I do not
know what the best solution is.

He runs a business from home, has 1 computer running Win XP Pro and a dialup
modem 56K, he runs an accounting program called MYOB. (Manage Your Own
Business, a very popular and largely distributed australian made program)

He wants his secretary to be able to use her computer from her house to
dialup and access the MYOB files, make any admendments, additions etc but
the files to remain on his work computer at home. I think all the various
work/business files are about 20MB is size.

What is the best networking solution for this, he only runs a software
firewall, I am yet to find out what operating system his secretary is
running, but I suspect it will be an older version of windows, maybe 98,
2000 or ME, hopefully XP :)

I was hoping that I could install a copy of the program on the secretaries
computer and then could create a networking folder/mapped folder in file
explorer in the
secretaries computer that would point to the appropriate folder on my
brothers computer over the dialup internet, if this can be done? If this can
be done how do I set up the allowance of an incomming connection on my
brothers receiving computer?

Some ideas I have thought about include, Do I use a webhosting feature?, or
a VPN? or perhaps use MSN application sharing (which would obviate the need
for a second software license) or use MSN remote computer access which I
think would be far to slow.

I look forward to any suggestions

David

cam

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Using dialup internet creates a big limitation on what you can do. You
would probably have to use some remote access software like Symantec
pcAnywhere, or the MSN remote access...but no matter what way you go,
it will be slow due to the lack of bandwidth.