The best way to buy a camera as a tourist in the US?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 26, 2005 9:24:21 PM

I'm buying myself a EOS 20D the next time I'm visiting the US. (That way I
can save about 35 % when I don't have to pay Swedish taxes and duty...) I'm
visiting friends in NM and TX (Albuquerque, Las Cruces and El Paso).

What do you think is the best way to buy the camera? I run into trouble with
many US Internet stores since I have a Swedish credit card and no US
address. I also want to avoid any trouble with the delivery since I only
stay in one place (within the US) for a few days at the time.

What stores are really reliable and would consider keeping a specific camera
in store for me on a specific date? Or is there a smart way to solve this
over the Internet and arrange the delivery to my friends in NM/TX?

More about : buy camera tourist

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:34:04 PM

JohaN <johanaulin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think is the best way to buy the camera? I run into trouble with
> many US Internet stores since I have a Swedish credit card and no US
> address. I also want to avoid any trouble with the delivery since I only
> stay in one place (within the US) for a few days at the time.

Have your friend order it, and then you pay him when you get there.

Trying to order it with your Swedish credit card for delivery to a US
address is probably going to cause a problem, yes.

Note that if you buy the camera in a store, you will have to pay sales
tax. For the two states you are planning to visit: Texas has a sales
tax of 6.25%, and New Mexico doesn't have sales tax but does have what
they call a "gross receipts tax", and since the store will pass it on
to the customer, it amounts to the same thing, and varies from 5% to
just over 7%. If that still works out to be cheaper, that might be
the way to go if you don't want to ask your friend to lay out the
money for you.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:34:04 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
wrote:

>JohaN <johanaulin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What do you think is the best way to buy the camera? I run into trouble with
>> many US Internet stores since I have a Swedish credit card and no US
>> address. I also want to avoid any trouble with the delivery since I only
>> stay in one place (within the US) for a few days at the time.
>
>Have your friend order it, and then you pay him when you get there.
>
>Trying to order it with your Swedish credit card for delivery to a US
>address is probably going to cause a problem, yes.
>
>Note that if you buy the camera in a store, you will have to pay sales
>tax. For the two states you are planning to visit: Texas has a sales
>tax of 6.25%, and New Mexico doesn't have sales tax but does have what
>they call a "gross receipts tax", and since the store will pass it on
>to the customer, it amounts to the same thing, and varies from 5% to
>just over 7%. If that still works out to be cheaper, that might be
>the way to go if you don't want to ask your friend to lay out the
>money for you.

As a Texan who stays up nights thinking of way to be our actually 8
1/2% sales taxes, the best way would be for his friends to but it from
some place like B&H or Amazon and completely avoid the tax issue. I
will also point out those places where he's going with the possible
exception of El Paso will not have Camera Stores with competitive
prices.

"...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."

"The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
William Blake
April 27, 2005 1:39:53 AM

John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

> As a Texan who stays up nights thinking of way to be our actually 8
> 1/2% sales taxes,

Geez, they raised it? I even went to Google to verify before posting... :)

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Any major US discount stores that sell electronics should have what you
want:

Wal-Mart
Office Max
Office Depot
Circuit City
Best Buy

Know what you want before you go, however, as the service and advice in
these stores can be pretty bad, but they are popular American discount
stores that will sell you legit equipment without much hassle. Some of
these places will let you order over the Net and will hold the item in the
store, but you can usually just go in and buy it. Many also have low price
guarantees, although the guarantee does not apply to prices you find on the
Net.

Also, most stores will exchange any camera that is not working within so
many days, so I would start using it immediately, as I'm sure you probably
will anyway.

"JohaN" <johanaulin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm buying myself a EOS 20D the next time I'm visiting the US. (That way I
> can save about 35 % when I don't have to pay Swedish taxes and duty...)
> I'm visiting friends in NM and TX (Albuquerque, Las Cruces and El Paso).
>
> What do you think is the best way to buy the camera? I run into trouble
> with many US Internet stores since I have a Swedish credit card and no US
> address. I also want to avoid any trouble with the delivery since I only
> stay in one place (within the US) for a few days at the time.
>
> What stores are really reliable and would consider keeping a specific
> camera in store for me on a specific date? Or is there a smart way to
> solve this over the Internet and arrange the delivery to my friends in
> NM/TX?

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:11:04 AM

In article <116td99hf0m0n92@corp.supernews.com>, jeremy@exit109.com says...

>Geez, they raised it? I even went to Google to verify before posting... :)

Texas state sales tax is 6.25%, but cities add local sales tax, so that most
places total 8.25%. El Paso and most cities have 8.25% sales tax.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:13:48 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:39:53 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
wrote:

>John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> As a Texan who stays up nights thinking of way to be our actually 8
>> 1/2% sales taxes,
>
>Geez, they raised it? I even went to Google to verify before posting... :)

That's the state rate but every county, city and out house can add
local options to that and they have. This how the City Arlington
added 1/4% to their sales to tax to build a losing baseball team a new
ball park.

Flavors of Texas State Sales tax.

State - 6 1/4% (.0625)

City - 1/4% (.0025) - 2% (.02), depending on local rate.

County - 1/2% (.005) - 1.5% (.015), depending on local rate.

Transit - 1/4 % (.0025) - 1% (.01), depending on local rate.

Special Purpose Districts - 1/8% (.00125) - 2% (.02), depending on
local rate.

I don't know of any place in Texas has the base state rate.

Oh, cars sales tax is based on State rate only.

But the slice of fresh strawberry pie I had Sunday in Hi co, Texas had
8 1/4% tax on it...

"The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
singular, and unsatisfactory."

Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
November 14, 1866
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:13:49 AM

John A. Stovall wrote:

> Oh, cars sales tax is based on State rate only.

In Quebec, general foodstuff is not taxed. Unless purchased hot from
the oven in a boulangerie, croissanterie, bagel house. Then it's a hot
food service and then it's taxed. Twice. Even the first tax is taxed.
Total is 15% and a hair.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:45:24 AM

*smile*
Gee, there's lots of things about US taxes that I didn't know! Thanks for
all input!

As a comparison I can tell you that in Sweden they put on 25 % of taxes on
all merchandise except books (5 %) and food (18 %). In addition we have duty
an most privately imported stuff and extra taxes on for example gas. Current
pricing on gas is 11 SEK per liter, approximately 5 USD per gallon.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:46:53 AM

> Any major US discount stores that sell electronics should have what you
> want:
>
> Wal-Mart
> Office Max
> Office Depot
> Circuit City
> Best Buy
I'll look into that.

> Know what you want before you go, however, as the service and advice in
> these stores can be pretty bad, but they are popular American discount
> stores that will sell you legit equipment without much hassle. Some of
> these places will let you order over the Net and will hold the item in the
> store, but you can usually just go in and buy it. Many also have low
> price guarantees, although the guarantee does not apply to prices you find
> on the Net.
>
> Also, most stores will exchange any camera that is not working within so
> many days, so I would start using it immediately, as I'm sure you probably
> will anyway.
Yes I will... :-)

Thanks!
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:00:48 PM

JohaN <johanaulin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm buying myself a EOS 20D the next time I'm visiting the US. (That way I
>can save about 35 % when I don't have to pay Swedish taxes and duty...) I'm
>visiting friends in NM and TX (Albuquerque, Las Cruces and El Paso).
>
>What do you think is the best way to buy the camera?

How good friends, are your friends? The best thing would be for you
to pay money into their credit card (you can do it online), and then
they order it from B&H for you, to be delivered to their house.

--
Ken Tough
April 27, 2005 6:53:22 PM

JohaN wrote:
> *smile*
> Gee, there's lots of things about US taxes that I didn't know! Thanks for
> all input!
>
> As a comparison I can tell you that in Sweden they put on 25 % of taxes on
> all merchandise except books (5 %) and food (18 %). In addition we have duty
> an most privately imported stuff and extra taxes on for example gas. Current
> pricing on gas is 11 SEK per liter, approximately 5 USD per gallon.

I read that in New York Times that the living standard of many
Scandinavian countries are pretty low. Many office workers in Norway
bring their sandwich. On the other hand, many Spaniards eat out and
French people would have wine with their lunch. ;)

Living in New York is very tough but when comparing to many European
country, it's still better off.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:53:23 PM

leo wrote:

> I read that in New York Times that the living standard of many
> Scandinavian countries are pretty low. Many office workers in Norway
> bring their sandwich. On the other hand, many Spaniards eat out and
> French people would have wine with their lunch. ;)
>
> Living in New York is very tough but when comparing to many European
> country, it's still better off.

I would argue that most Americans eating lunch are not getting the
nutrition of most Europeans regardless of whether they are brownbagging
it or eating out. It is also common in Europe to walk to lunch, which
might be in a cafeteria (often shared by several companies) or
restaurant that is a km or more away. Walk to a three course lunch,
which can easilly take an 45-min to an hour, and walk back. Very healthy.

By that standard European standard of living is much higher than the US.

French, Italians, Germans, others have wine or beer with their lunch,
but usually just one glass. Personally, I avoid this here or when in
Europe as it makes me drowsy in the afternoon. Some meetings are boring
enough without lunch+wine to aid one into the arms of Morpheus.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:53:24 PM

philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl (Philip Homburg) writes:

> (I am not sure how to compare individual wealth between countries. You
> can't just compare the average buying power, because that allows a small
> number of very rich people to skew the results.)

In this case you need to use "median buying power" (take whole population into
consideration, sort them according to the attribute in question and take
the one in the middle of the list), except that nobody collects nor
publishes such a measure. For the obvious reasons.

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

April 27, 2005 8:49:47 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> leo wrote:
>
>> I read that in New York Times that the living standard of many
>> Scandinavian countries are pretty low. Many office workers in Norway
>> bring their sandwich. On the other hand, many Spaniards eat out and
>> French people would have wine with their lunch. ;)
>>
>> Living in New York is very tough but when comparing to many European
>> country, it's still better off.
>

> I would argue that most Americans eating lunch are not getting the
> nutrition of most Europeans regardless of whether they are brownbagging
> it or eating out. It is also common in Europe to walk to lunch, which
> might be in a cafeteria (often shared by several companies) or
> restaurant that is a km or more away. Walk to a three course lunch,
> which can easilly take an 45-min to an hour, and walk back. Very healthy.
>
> By that standard European standard of living is much higher than the US.
>
> French, Italians, Germans, others have wine or beer with their lunch,
> but usually just one glass. Personally, I avoid this here or when in
> Europe as it makes me drowsy in the afternoon. Some meetings are boring
> enough without lunch+wine to aid one into the arms of Morpheus.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Hahaha... I think you have to read all whole article. It was about a
week or two ago. It's not the matter of how health was their diet but
how much money they could spend. It even mentioned that the hospital in
Norway runs out of cough medicine, etc. Sweden isn't much better off and
when they compare the EU as a whole to 50 individual states of USA, EU,
all of them together, surprisingly rank quite low.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:49:48 PM

leo wrote:

> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> leo wrote:
>>
>>> I read that in New York Times that the living standard of many
>>> Scandinavian countries are pretty low. Many office workers in Norway
>>> bring their sandwich. On the other hand, many Spaniards eat out and
>>> French people would have wine with their lunch. ;)
>>>
>>> Living in New York is very tough but when comparing to many European
>>> country, it's still better off.
>>

>> I would argue that most Americans eating lunch are not getting the
>> nutrition of most Europeans regardless of whether they are
>> brownbagging it or eating out. It is also common in Europe to walk to
>> lunch, which might be in a cafeteria (often shared by several
>> companies) or restaurant that is a km or more away. Walk to a three
>> course lunch, which can easilly take an 45-min to an hour, and walk
>> back. Very healthy.
>>
>> By that standard European standard of living is much higher than the US.
>>
>> French, Italians, Germans, others have wine or beer with their lunch,
>> but usually just one glass. Personally, I avoid this here or when in
>> Europe as it makes me drowsy in the afternoon. Some meetings are
>> boring enough without lunch+wine to aid one into the arms of Morpheus.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan
>

> Hahaha... I think you have to read all whole article. It was about a
> week or two ago. It's not the matter of how health was their diet but
> how much money they could spend.

Again, spending money is a false measure of quality of life. Spend
$5.00 at McD or spend $4.00 to brownbag a lunch, and guess who has the
better lifestyle?

> It even mentioned that the hospital in
> Norway runs out of cough medicine, etc. Sweden isn't much better off and
> when they compare the EU as a whole to 50 individual states of USA, EU,
> all of them together, surprisingly rank quite low.

Now you're boiling over into what are admin/budget issues at hospitals.

Swedes are generally healthier than most Europeans. We won't even touch
on Americans.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:41:10 PM

In article <d4ogb4$84e$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
>leo wrote:
>> It even mentioned that the hospital in
>> Norway runs out of cough medicine, etc. Sweden isn't much better off and
>> when they compare the EU as a whole to 50 individual states of USA, EU,
>> all of them together, surprisingly rank quite low.
>
>Now you're boiling over into what are admin/budget issues at hospitals.
>
>Swedes are generally healthier than most Europeans. We won't even touch
>on Americans.

One of the more interesting metrics is the average height of the members
of a population. Using that metric, the northern part of Europe does very
well.

(I am not sure how to compare individual wealth between countries. You
can't just compare the average buying power, because that allows a small
number of very rich people to skew the results.)

April 28, 2005 6:23:00 PM

leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>I read that in New York Times that the living standard of many
>Scandinavian countries are pretty low. Many office workers in Norway
>bring their sandwich. On the other hand, many Spaniards eat out and
>French people would have wine with their lunch. ;)
>
>Living in New York is very tough but when comparing to many European
>country, it's still better off.

Norway has topped the standard of living indexes for the last
couple of years, and has been in the top ten for ages.

Bringing a bag lunch doesn't mean bad standard of living; it
probably just means good nutrition. Measuring standard of living
is a tough thing. Because an american can buy a 5 lb lump of
"cheese" or a 2 litre cup of coke, for the same money as 100g
of real cheese, does that imply better standard of living?

Health care in scandinavia is great, and universal. On the
whole, the 1970's fact of a 70 yr old swede being as healthy
as a 40 yr old canadian is even more applicable today. Both
father and mother get six months to a year off when a child
is born. Holidays average around 6 to 8 weeks per year
(compared to the Namerican 2 or 3).

If your life revolves around alcohol, cigarettes, and petrol,
then scandinavia won't be for you. Anyway, to each his own.
Fortunately!

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

It's been extremely interesting to read everything y'all have said (so far).
I think I now know what I need and I have a few options, when it comes to
buying the camera.

But on the front "living standards and taxes", keep it coming! As a Swedish
citizen myself, I just might give you my side of the story... There are both
pros and cons about paying 55 % of your income in taxes, at least when it
comes to (almost) free healthcare, free schools, free collages and a decent
pension.
April 29, 2005 3:56:45 AM

Ken Tough wrote:
> leo <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>

>>I read that in New York Times that the living standard of many
>>Scandinavian countries are pretty low. Many office workers in Norway
>>bring their sandwich. On the other hand, many Spaniards eat out and
>>French people would have wine with their lunch. ;)
>>
>>Living in New York is very tough but when comparing to many European
>>country, it's still better off.
>

> Norway has topped the standard of living indexes for the last
> couple of years, and has been in the top ten for ages.
>
> Bringing a bag lunch doesn't mean bad standard of living; it
> probably just means good nutrition. Measuring standard of living
> is a tough thing. Because an american can buy a 5 lb lump of
> "cheese" or a 2 litre cup of coke, for the same money as 100g
> of real cheese, does that imply better standard of living?
>
> Health care in scandinavia is great, and universal. On the
> whole, the 1970's fact of a 70 yr old swede being as healthy
> as a 40 yr old canadian is even more applicable today. Both
> father and mother get six months to a year off when a child
> is born. Holidays average around 6 to 8 weeks per year
> (compared to the Namerican 2 or 3).
>
> If your life revolves around alcohol, cigarettes, and petrol,
> then scandinavia won't be for you. Anyway, to each his own.
> Fortunately!

Purchasing power was what I meant, forget about standard of living which
was misused.
!