Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help/Advice/Opinions On Homebuilt 675$ Budget Rig

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2012 1:41:45 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section I am new here, and to the hardware side of computers.

As part of a networking class I am partaking in, I am required to create a system with gaming capabilities for 675$

I am looking for advice/help

Budget Rig

Processor: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge ($119.99)

I have been doing some research on this topic and found that most 2012 games don't utilize all 4 cores in a quad core processor, and instead rather the architecture plays the biggest role in its processing power. However I do not know how accurate my source is and I am open to other opinions.
Source

Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 SE LGA 1155 ($94.99)

It was hard to decide on a Motherboard that would be just right, so I probably could have went for a bit cheaper Motherboard. I defiantly would appreciate advice on the best possible fit here, and if anyone could provide some input on what benefits there are to investing more or less into the Motherboard I would be thankful.

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [2 x 4GB] ($49.99)

Seemed worth investing the extra $10-20 into 8GB of ram instead of just 4GB ram DDR3 2133 was seemingly the best type of supported by the memory standard of the Motherboard. I feel like this is probably more than I need, but since I had a bit left over in the budget I figured it was better to overshoot than undershoot.

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 5770 ($86.99)

I have a lot of questions about CrossFireX; I don't plan on upgrading the system as it is just to show a good system built on a budget, so would it be worth it to buy 2 GPU's and CrossFire them, or just buy a higher end GPU? I'm having trouble finding any statistics on the use of CrossFire, and I would like to know if a CrossFire Certified PSU is required, or just a CrossFire Ready PSU.

Hard Drive: 32GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive ($49.99)

I plan on using the SSD to hold the Boot files, the OS, and any often used applications. I've heard that SSD's improve the speed of accessing files and such, but will the speed really be noticeable if I invest in having the OS and such on this drive?

Hard Drive: 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ($59.99)

This HDD will be used to store pictures, video files, and any files not used on a daily basis.

Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 Black SECC Steel USB 3.0 ($44.99)

Since this is being made for a class I figured the flashy lights would probably be good for over aesthetics, decently low price for a Steel case with USB 3.0.

Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous ($49.99)

According to the Wattage Calculator, 530W will be plenty, and it is CrossFire ready, which I believe I need to use the CrossFire Technology.

Cooling: Just the fans with the Case

DVD Burner: None

Total Cost (with shipping): $657.20

So I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions, advice, or any input on what I have selected.

Many thanks in advance!
December 5, 2012 2:20:04 AM

JamesKost said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section I am new here, and to the hardware side of computers.

As part of a networking class I am partaking in, I am required to create a system with gaming capabilities for 675$

I am looking for advice/help

Budget Rig

Processor: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge ($119.99)

I have been doing some research on this topic and found that most 2012 games don't utilize all 4 cores in a quad core processor, and instead rather the architecture plays the biggest role in its processing power. However I do not know how accurate my source is and I am open to other opinions.
Source

Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 SE LGA 1155 ($94.99)

It was hard to decide on a Motherboard that would be just right, so I probably could have went for a bit cheaper Motherboard. I defiantly would appreciate advice on the best possible fit here, and if anyone could provide some input on what benefits there are to investing more or less into the Motherboard I would be thankful.

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [2 x 4GB] ($49.99)

Seemed worth investing the extra $10-20 into 8GB of ram instead of just 4GB ram DDR3 2133 was seemingly the best type of supported by the memory standard of the Motherboard. I feel like this is probably more than I need, but since I had a bit left over in the budget I figured it was better to overshoot than undershoot.

I have a lot of questions about CrossFireX; I don't plan on upgrading the system as it is just to show a good system built on a budget, so would it be worth it to buy 2 GPU's and CrossFire them, or just buy a higher end GPU? I'm having trouble finding any statistics on the use of CrossFire, and I would like to know if a CrossFire Certified PSU is required, or just a CrossFire Ready PSU.

Hard Drive: 32GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive ($49.99)

I plan on using the SSD to hold the Boot files, the OS, and any often used applications. I've heard that SSD's improve the speed of accessing files and such, but will the speed really be noticeable if I invest in having the OS and such on this drive?

Hard Drive: 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ($59.99)

This HDD will be used to store pictures, video files, and any files not used on a daily basis.

Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 Black SECC Steel USB 3.0 ($44.99)

Since this is being made for a class I figured the flashy lights would probably be good for over aesthetics, decently low price for a Steel case with USB 3.0.

Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous ($49.99)

According to the Wattage Calculator, 530W will be plenty, and it is CrossFire ready, which I believe I need to use the CrossFire Technology.

Cooling: Just the fans with the Case

DVD Burner: None

Total Cost (with shipping): $657.20

So I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions, advice, or any input on what I have selected.

Many thanks in advance!

Use this motherboard instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get this HDD: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-320GB-8MB-7200RPM-SATA-3-0G...

DO NOT GET THOSE OUTDATED CARDS!

Get a 7870 instead.

Best solution

December 5, 2012 3:08:35 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qZY3

Here is what I came up with while still working with about the same amount of money you used. It has a i3 3220, radeon 7870, 8gb ram, mirco atx mobo, small atx case, 500w 80+ PSU, cheap blue ray reader, 50gb SSD, 1tb HD.

And despite it saying there is a compatability issue possiblility theres not, I double checked the Mobo supports Ivy Bridge from what I read from the reviews out of the box.

Parts themselves may not be the flashiest there is but for the same price as your build there is a significant jump in performance and took the approach of min/max, going cheap in areas which doesn't affect performance or build quality so you can buy more performance in another area. Threw in the blue ray reader so it look better on paper since this is a school project build.

For bonus points you can mention you went with the 2x4gb ram so it is in dual channel compared to going with a single stick to get a very slight performance boost. Though look up dual channel and do a quick read on it if you don't understand what it is.

Total 643.90 after $20 mail in and $5 shipping
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2012 8:07:01 AM

Nice build ^ . Could potentially swap out that SSD to upgrade to a 7950? I think there would be more benefit to that imo. But apart from that, nice build.
December 5, 2012 9:35:27 AM

camohanna said:
Nice build ^ . Could potentially swap out that SSD to upgrade to a 7950? I think there would be more benefit to that imo. But apart from that, nice build.

+1
December 5, 2012 9:41:25 AM

+1

+1
December 5, 2012 10:06:58 AM

Best answer selected by JamesKost.
!