Sign in with
Your question

690 GTX brands?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2012 5:40:24 PM

I am looking to buy a 690GTX to power my 3 monitor setup. After much searching of E-tailers I can only find two brands for sale wich are ASUS and EVGA. I would prefer an MSI card to go with my MSI board. I am sure the other two brands are of fine quality but i prefer MSI's "military class" components and their afterburner OC software. I know MSI makes this card but i cannot find any for sale except on ebay for a very BLOATED price. Any suggestions?

More about : 690 gtx brands

October 14, 2012 6:51:40 PM

i think msi stopped making the 690 and also what was the lowest msi 690 on ebay
-EDIT-MSI never made 690's so the cards on ebay are ASUS or EVGA
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
October 14, 2012 8:42:16 PM

Well i personally have only try the EVGA i liked it but if i were to buy one i would buy the Asus
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 3:27:08 AM

AFAIK all GTX690 out there were reference version from nvidia. so IMO which brands to get is depends on how well their customer service are
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 3:36:56 AM

Best customer service would be EVGA.

Any reason why you want a GTX 690? 2GB of VRAM isn't really enough for 3 monitors.

You'd be better off with 2 4GB 670's or 680's.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 4:24:50 AM

renz496 said:
AFAIK all GTX690 out there were reference version from nvidia. so IMO which brands to get is depends on how well their customer service are

Yes.
There is one reference. I'm not even sure if they're all made by NVidia or not and just resold. Each GPU has its own Vapor Chamber and the cooling is incredibly well engineered.

I agree, get the best customer service and/or Warranty. I'd say Asus or EVGA.

How to properly USE the GTX690:
1. Do NOT use both GPU's (SLI) if a game can run full quality at 60FPS one just one GPU. Your quality obviously won't be better with two but you'll introduce micro-stutter.

2. Some PHYSX games will run better with GPU#1 dedicated to the game and GPU#2 dedicated to PHYSX. Additionally you want have micro-stutter.

Metro 2033 is an example of a game you would want to run with SLI enabled. At full quality (minus DX11's DOF option which is demanding) I get in the 30's so synched via the HALF VSYNC method to 30FPS. With two GPU's (turning DOF off) and possibly some tweaking you should get a nice solid 60FPS on the GTX690.

Alice the Madness Returns (good game actually) would be best played with the second GPU dedicated to PhysX (HIGH PHYSX) and Adaptive VSYNC enabled. I forget if you have to manually edit to get 60FPS (30FPS by default) or whether Adaptive VSYNC forces 60FPS for you.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 4:26:17 AM

Update:
Sorry, I missed the 3-monitor setup aspect. I guess if you want to do that you'll need SLI much of the time.

Even still, apparently some games still work better with the second GPU dedicated to PHYSX. That's something you have to benchmark (SLI vs 2nd GPU dedicated) on a game to game basis.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 4:51:24 AM

amuffin said:
Best customer service would be EVGA.

Any reason why you want a GTX 690? 2GB of VRAM isn't really enough for 3 monitors.

You'd be better off with 2 4GB 670's or 680's.
+1
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 9:46:21 AM

2GB not enough for 3 monitors.

A must read:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5805/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...

This would seem to contradict my statement somewhat, yet at the end of the review this is also what they say as well. It should also be noted that I saw other benchmarks of different games that showed a severe bottleneck with only 2GB for three monitors.

*If you decide on a 2xGTX670 setup, this card is a good choice for the price. It's 4GB and great quality:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The advantage of having two separate cards is you can add a THIRD if you wish later for 3xSLI.

**While 3xSLI is obviously more expensive, it significantly smooths out the micro-stutter which plagues many games and NVidia themselves admit is an issue they hope to fix.

The CHEAPER alternative is a 3x (HD7950 3GB) setup for about $1000 which you would have spent on the GTX690. I don't know its performance. Crossfire seems to be not as good as SLI overall but it's probably worth investigating.

Good luck!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 9:50:35 AM

My two 670 don't do well in metro lol
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 10:10:38 AM

bigcyco1 said:
My two 670 don't do well in metro lol

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5805/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...

That's interesting because this article seems to contradict that, yet on the other hand I have the best GTX680 you can get (Asus GTX680 TOP) and I absolutely can't hit 59FPS with max everything. Not even close. I even overclocked my CPU, so I guess there's still a CPU bottleneck but I can't believe that it would be this much.

*If you go 3xSLI you'll probably want to overclock your CPU, make sure you have an Ivy Bridge (PCIe v3) motherboard that supports three cards properly and a 1000Watt PSU.

Again the GTX690 is a nice card and performs well even with three monitors (in some games) but it's 2GB per GPU issue is a problem for some games and you can't add a third GPU if you wish (you'd have to add FOUR as in 2xGTX690).
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 15, 2012 7:09:37 PM

As
m
l
!